Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Dwarf99

Default (Powers) Resurrection Retool Please Critique

I've read and re-read that ability listed on P. 151 so many times and I always wonder why they chose to go the Extreme Regen and Unkillable 1 route...

Afflict: Advantage (Extra Life (Cosmic, Ignores the fact that the victim is presently dead +300%) +750%) [85] seems like it would do a similar job and is more reasonably priced

Is it legal to enhance an enhancement? Whether legal or not is it fair or justifiable?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
cmdicely

Default Re: (Powers) Resurrection Retool Please Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I've read and re-read that ability listed on P. 151 so many times and I always wonder why they chose to go the Extreme Regen and Unkillable 1 route...

Afflict: Advantage (Extra Life (Cosmic, Ignores the fact that the victim is presently dead +300%) +750%) [85] seems like it would do a similar job and is more reasonably priced

Is it legal to enhance an enhancement? Whether legal or not is it fair or justifiable?

I'm pretty sure that enhancements and limitations can take enhancements and limitations, though the circumstances in which that makes sense may be somewhat limited. But this isn't really an enhancement on an enhancement, its an enhancement on an advantage to create a modified advantage which then sets the enhancement cost for the Affliction, and that's clearly allowable.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Dwarf99

thanks that's what I thought I was just checking.

I didn't really think that their "Cosmic: Works on Dead" ought to be worth 50%, so I bumped it up, and I'm on the fence about requiring contact agent and melee attack... thoughts?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
PK

First, the Affliction would also need Extended Duration, Permanent, +300% -- otherwise the person would just die again when it wore off.

The only downside to this is that. unless the GM allows people to use Affliction(Advantage) to get free points, the resurrectee would have to pay for the Extra Life.

I mean, if a PC in your game had Affliction (Advantage, DR 1; Cumulative; Extended Duration, Permanent), you wouldn't let him just keep zapping his friends over and over again until they had DR 1,000,000+, right? The rule from GURPS Powers is that you still have to pay for it.

So yes, I'd allow an Affliction (Extra Life; Permanent) build in my games in which death is supposed to be easily avoided, but the resurrectee has to pay the 25 points. And he has to pay 'em now. If he doesn't have the bonus cp to cover it, then he has to drop advantages or attributes, or gain disadvantages, permanently. (It's actually kind of like the old D&D approach, where you lost CON every time you came back.)

Of course, in games where death is supposed to be serious, no way, but that's a genre decision, not a power-build one.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
(It's actually kind of like the old D&D approach, where you lost CON every time you came back.)
For some reason, that always struck me as flavor and not balance.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

My favored way of building resurrection as a power is.

Affliction (HT; Advantage, Extra Life, +250%; Malediction, +100%; Permanent, the effect ends when the target reaches the current present, +150%; Time Spanning, past only, does not work in the present, +0%) [50]

By taking one second of of concentration, and rolling will, with a penalty equal to he distance in yards to the corpse, plus the distance in time, figured as per time spanning (Use long distance modifiers, reading yards as days), this ability rewrites history, triggering a fortuitous coincidence that gives the deceased a second chance in life.

EDIT: I would require the newly raised to pay the 25 points for extra life, either with spare CPs, or by taking new disadvantages and reduced attributes. The permanent, until the target reaches the current present, is to avoid the user from giving extra lives before the target dies, in order to make sure they have as little time penalty as possible
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 04-01-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Dwarf99

Quote:
First, the Affliction would also need Extended Duration, Permanent, +300% -- otherwise the person would just die again when it wore off...

So yes, I'd allow an Affliction (Extra Life; Permanent) build in my games in which death is supposed to be easily avoided, but the resurrectee has to pay the 25 points. And he has to pay 'em now. If he doesn't have the bonus cp to cover it, then he has to drop advantages or attributes, or gain disadvantages, permanently. (It's actually kind of like the old D&D approach, where you lost CON every time you came back.)
ooh I forgot about all that, thanks!

Just out of curiosity though since all you have to do is kill the victim again wouldn't you need the 150% value of perm or would that one also allow countering spells?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
First, the Affliction would also need Extended Duration, Permanent, +300% -- otherwise the person would just die again when it wore off.
And it would need Cumulative, +400%, or it would only ever work once per person. That would suck.

Quote:
The rule from GURPS Powers is that you still have to pay for it.
It's still only a suggestion, not a rule. It's a good suggestion, but only that.

As it stands, I like resurrection being brutally expensive. It makes people realize that they can't make stupid mistakes.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Dwarf99

well... on my world there's only like 12 people that can cast it... there's about 20 or so million in the known world, It's quite small really.

edit: um... why would it only work once per person ever?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
edit: um... why would it only work once per person ever?
Because, once you use it on someone, they have received the Advantage. If it's not cumulative, you can't reapply it until it wears off. With Permanent (+300%), it's not going to wear off. Even if they die again.

And, if you only put Permanent +150% on the target, you'd have to raise them twice to get it to work since the first extra life is now voided.

On the other hand, that would be an awesome story-based limitation: You can only be resurrected once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Characters, pg 35
Successive Afflictions that produce the same effects are not normally cumulative. Use the single worst effect.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 04-01-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added page reference
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote