Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
oblate_x

Default Inventing new drugs?

How would a PC invent a new drug from existing materials? It sort of feels like Gadgeteering, it sort of feels like Pharmacy skill, yet neither of these quite fits. I'm not talking about transcending TLs or anything like that - just the formulation of new drugs with specific effects. Any thoughts?
oblate_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Desthro

Default Re: Inventing new drugs?

This depends on how you are implementing the drugs in your world.

A good place to start would be B473, where they outline the rules for new inventions and the like. It takes a long time, and a lot of money, testing, etc. And you would probably need 1 or more of the skills Pharmacy (Synthetics), Physiology, and Biology(Biochemistry), maybe Poisons would be good to generate dangerous 'drugs' as well.

If we are talking quick and dirty drugs, ones where the PC in question has a mad alchemist's ability to just generate these drugs on the fly, then you are going to want to take Gadgeteer 2 (50pts) AND 1 or more of the skills listed above.

Gadgeteer doesn't HAVE to be used to make physical machines, utilizing it to make Drugs is a perfectly acceptable alternative if the player has the necessary materials and time available.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Presence

Yes, Gadgeteering is the explicit method you have to use to invent virtually anything new, be it a chemical, spell, car, famous cooking recipe, what have you.

I kind of think it needs a middle level and maybe should cost a little bit more but have an optional limitation (one skill only). I mean, as it is you're either a good garage inventor or Angus McGyver with no middle ground. But that's not really the question here. :)
Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
oblate_x

Thanks, that's the information I was looking for. I guess I wasn't sure how loosely to take the term "invention". I appreciate it!
oblate_x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drugs, gadgeteering, pharmacy