Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Dalin

Default Climbing contests

In Douglas Cole's recent Layout Update on the Citadel at Norðvorn Kickstarter, he mentioned another evocative Norðlond festival, Klifrið, where climbers try "to scale, without ropes or tools, as far up the gorge as they can manage." This made me think about the game mechanics of such a thing. I was surprised at how fun the basic climbing rules already are.

According to Exploits, p. 20, you roll vs. Climbing at -3 for a "vertical wall." If you fail, you get to roll DX to catch something and then make a ST-based Climbing roll to pull yourself back into position. This puts a skill and two attributes in play with the option of Extra Effort (p. 20) for the pull-up.

So you could just roll that and count the number of successes to see who wins. Since it sounds like there is water at the bottom of the gorge, most climbers aren't worrying about dying, so this seems reasonable.

If you wanted to have it get harder as you go, you could have an increasing penalty. (And/or charge FP for each success?) Would you tell the PC the penalty ahead of time? If so, this might simulate the way a climber can judge their own ability and turn back before they risk a serious fall. Would you ever apply penalties to the DX and ST rolls to recover? If not, the combination of high DX and ST makes it very unlikely that you could ever fall.

What about the aspect of planning a good route? Could there be an option of IQ-based Climbing affecting the penalty (perhaps slowing down its incremental increase)?

How would you run this?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Climbing contests

There's a climbing challenge on pp. 47-48 of Hall of Judgment, for what it's worth.

I'd written some climbing rules using the concept of control points, but while the concept was sound, in play it was going to be a bunch of folks sitting around the table rolling dice. I still think the basic idea of "grappling" up a wall using climbing skill is sensible; I just need the right mechanic so it's not "five people sitting around the table endlessly rolling dice."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
Imbicatus

It’s beyond the scope of the DFRPG, but I’ve had a lot of fun using the Chase rules from GURPS Action 2 for a climbing encounter. It wasn’t a contest but it was a jungle encounter where two rival groups (the pcs and their rivals) were both trying to outrun a very large dinosaur.

The chase rules allow multiple rolls, complementary skills, and the ability to have fun with it while not just devolving into five people endless rolling dice.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
There's a climbing challenge on pp. 47-48 of Hall of Judgment, for what it's worth.
I forgot about this challenge! I look forward to running it and seeing if anyone runs afoul of the God of Law's little wrinkle.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
The chase rules allow multiple rolls, complementary skills, and the ability to have fun with it while not just devolving into five people endless rolling dice.
Yup, the chase rules are where I turn every time I have a "two or more groups are competing in something where distance or time is a factor".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

In a game I was running I created an entire (small) framework of rules for climbing a sheer cliff in Underhill. I REALLY need to put it on my blog because it worked pretty much perfectly and produced a lot of tension.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
It’s beyond the scope of the DFRPG, but I’ve had a lot of fun using the Chase rules from GURPS Action 2 for a climbing encounter. . . . The chase rules allow multiple rolls, complementary skills, and the ability to have fun with it while not just devolving into five people endless rolling dice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yup, the chase rules are where I turn every time I have a "two or more groups are competing in something where distance or time is a factor".
Great! I'll have to review those rules. I remember being impressed by them, but I haven't run an explicit Action game, so they faded into the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
In a game I was running I created an entire (small) framework of rules for climbing a sheer cliff in Underhill. I REALLY need to put it on my blog because it worked pretty much perfectly and produced a lot of tension.
I look forward to reading about this. Sounds fun!

Tags
climbing, falling, norðlond