Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2018, 01:08 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default [Supers] Enter the Shadowguard - a Marvel Reboot Story

Tonight, we had the first pre-game mini-session for my superhero game, set in my Marvel Reboot universe. The game is set in late April 1987, about six months or so after the First Line, the premier super-team of the last two decades, went missing and presumed dead, along with many allies and several of their enemies.

The players are as follows:

Anthony Madison/Meatshield, a non-union electrician with a Class 35-40 brick power set.

Chelsea Baum/Spellbinder, a punk rocker sorceress specializing in "explodamancy".

"Jim Smith"/Starbot, a Rigellian Recorder bioroid with access to TL11^ technology who is here as a diplomat and observer, who has his own missions here, which may be plot-relevant. Played by our own William.

Jeanne Avril/Avril Aero, a product of Canadian mad science which turned her into a half-jet fighter being, later put in stasis until "acquired" (quite by accident) by the NYPD under a program that lets police forces acquire military hardware. Played by our own Kalzazz.

Winston Carson, a veteran of 'Nam who signed up to protect his country but has become disillusioned in his government by the way veterans of the war were treated. He's a (mostly) sane survivalist/disaster preparedness instructor who despite being almost 20 years older than the rest of the party keeps himself in excellent shape. Recently tagged by the press with the alias "Doc Firepower", to his own chagrin; recent events have led him to take the identity Minuteman instead.

Anna Nightingale/Princess Bolshivek, the daughter of a Russian immigrant who has been described as a cross between Catwoman and Black Widow.[EDIT]Anna's player has left the game.[/EDIT]

[EDIT:] Magdalena/Bellona, a previously homeless young woman with sharp laser claws and a past full of pain.

Dimitri, a subtle psychic and doctor.[/EDIT]

The First Line's disappearance coincides with many rumors about an alien fleet, and conspiracy theorists claiming coverup. (From an out-of-universe standpoint, the conspiracy theorists are correct - this time.) So there is a void that needs filling, and these costumed (and non-costumed) clowns are Earth's last, best hope for peace, or at least temporarily filling the void until the Fantastic Four come along in about 20 or so years....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-24-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] Enter the Shadowguard - a Marvel Reboot Story

Mini-Session 1: Meet the Starman.

Prior to this game, Tony/Meatshield and Chelsea/Spellbinder have encountered each other before, but never stopped to exchange names and whatnot. Jim (no other identity to start) is a new person in town, a Rigellian Recorder bioroid working for the Charter Federation Nonmember Protective Services and Diplomatic Corps – fortunately able to pass for human.

Jim has been hanging out in the East Village (on the south end of Manhattan) in an attempt to make contact with Spellbinder, who occasionally shows up/patrols the area, keeping an eye out for her flying around. It's the night of a Backyard Bands showcase concert, and Chel's band finished up some hours ago, and she's bored, so she takes to the air as Spellbinder. Jim spots her and uses his advanced alien tech – a contragrav belt – to fly up to her to discuss things. Meatshield spots them and curiosity gets the better of him, so he keeps them in sight as they descend into an alley. (The Charter Federation is the fourth "big boy" of the interstellar empires, being the Federation to the Kree's Klingons, Skrulls' Romulans, and Shi'ar's Cardassians, to use Star Trek terms.)

The three talk and exchange information, with Jim asking about the alien invasion six months back that the governments (who he had originally approached) had covered up. Jim confirms that the aliens involved were the Skrulls, a species known for infiltration. Due to the presence of superhumans on Earth, Jim has come to the conclusion that despite Earth's lower technology base that superhumans were how the Skrulls were repelled (quite possibly the First Line, now MIA and believed KIA), and has been trying to make contact with supers. Chel and Meat are more than willing to help out, though both have limited knowledge of what actually happened. Meat claims to have several hours of radio chatter and news coverage, despite the fact that the battle itself was a complete secret beyond the amateur astronomers who turned their telescopes toward the moon that day/night to catch minor flashes off to one side of the moon. During all this, Chel pegs Jim with the name "Starman"; whether it sticks or not is anyone's guess.

All three part ways with an agreement to meet up later for pizza and sharing of information. (Pizza is apparently taking off as a delicacy in the Charter's member worlds, thanks to Jim's reports.)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
Refplace

Nice to see you finally starting your campaign!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:22 AM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Nice to see you finally starting your campaign!
I do a lot of prep work, plus there's the issue of scheduling. And then there's all sorts of other stuff; my main Marvel Reboot project started in a "screw you, Quesada!" moment, after all, and may never actually finish.

Plus there's a lot of stuff going on in the past that needs to be covered, which is where this game takes place.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #5
Phantasm

Mini-Session 2: Hydra in Harlem

Winston was in NYC, specifically the mean streets of Harlem, during a heavy steady downpour to pick up some "problem solvers" from a dealer. Once he got the deal site, in an alleyway, he finds the dealer he was due to meet shot up on the hood of the dealer's International Scout II (a ten to twenty year old SUV back when SUVs were still classified as "station wagons"), and the cargo missing.

As Winston (or "Doc" as the dealer knows him) tried to stop the bleeding after discovering that none of the bullets hit anything major, though the bone in the upper right arm was shattered, Chelsea walked up carrying a Hydra goon who is spouting the usual Hydra rhetoric and allegiance bit. Well, okay, "carrying" is a fairly loose term as she was using magic to float him by his belt loop. Chel and Winston know each other from Chel's time in Death Valley, but until now he was unaware of her magic aptitude.

Chel first asked the goon where the cargo was taken, but the goon just spouted more "Hail Hydra"s. He changed his tune, however, when Chel threatened to burn the Hydra goon's nuts off, mentioning that fire stopped the hydra of myth. (During this time, Winston continued to do first aid on his dealer contact.) The goon finally broke down and gave Chel an address; she followed through by putting the goon to sleep.

Winston then asked Chel to help patch up the dealer. She did so, using magic to turn the shot arm's flesh and muscle transparent, enabling them to see the bone. Winston held the arm in place as Chel's magic regenerated the bone, and then stopped the bleeding on the other gunshot wounds.

Chel agreed to help Winston retrieve the goods he'd come for. The address the goon gave was a warehouse in the south end of the Bronx. We screen-wiped to the warehouse (indicating that Winston geared up off-camera). Inside, a number of men were stacking crates, overseen by a man in a green Hydra uniform.

-----

Unfortunately, the players had to head to bed at this point, before we could do any real combat. We may leave the resolution a noodle incident, or follow through at a later time. Also, we started late, so it was only an hour and a half time.

The main reason for this mini-session was so that Winston's player could hammer out the personality, which has been described as a cross between Frank Castle and Burt Gummer. Whether this really was Hydra or someone posing as Hydra has been debated. Word of GM is that the two seen dressed as Hydra were Hydra, though the warehouse workers not in uniform could go either way.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Jeanne Avril/Avril Aero, a product of Canadian mad science which turned her into a half-jet fighter being, later put in stasis until "acquired" (quite by accident) by the NYPD under a program that lets police forces acquire military hardware. Played by our own Kalzazz.
Starscream clones... because it just makes sense for the Marvel Universe. XD
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Starscream clones... because it just makes sense for the Marvel Universe. XD
Heheh. Kalz wanted a winged blaster type, and he proposed this char as a "really bad idea" he suspected I'd shoot down. Suffice to say I found it intriguing, so we ran with it. :)

Old 05-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
whswhs

I don't think I understand in what sense this is a "Marvel" campaign. I'm not recognizing any of the characters, the backstory, or the setting from anything I know about the Marvel universe. What specifically does it take from Marvel?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm not recognizing any of the characters, the backstory, or the setting from anything I know about the Marvel universe.
I recognise the Kree, Skrulls and Hydra. And the Fantastic Four, who are expected in 20 years.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think I understand in what sense this is a "Marvel" campaign. I'm not recognizing any of the characters, the backstory, or the setting from anything I know about the Marvel universe. What specifically does it take from Marvel?
I believe its tied to his Marvel Reboot project thread.
Most of the time the players arent playing named heros but make up thier own so its just background.
But the villains are Hydra which is definately Marvel.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel, supers