Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #101
Leonidas
Banned

Default Re: Promoting Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
You two are EXACTLY the people I want to hear from.

No disrespect to the various grizzled vets here, but I generally have a good idea as to where they stand. And although I highly value their opinions, as that experience is well-earned and should be listened to because they do know the ins and outs of the game, I also especially want to hear from those that are new to the game. I find it valuable to see the game through new eyes, and I depend upon players such as you to provide me that vision.

So thank you. Your words are deeply appreciated, and if at any point you see something that doesn't make sense to you, by all means please speak up. Because if I'm failing you, there may be scores of others whom I'm failing as well that won't tell me!

D.
I am playing with everyone I can in my gaming group. I will let you know via PM their impressions and how they reacted to the game. To me the game is simply the perfect blend between elegance, complexity and length. I am talking about the basic OGRE "smash the CP" scenario and a 1.v.1 with same number of units on 2 G.E.V. maps using Spillover and Overrun rules (we used one MkIII for each side). That was great fun.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #102
jfleisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdpower View Post
Will there be an OGRE demo table at the GenCon booth this year?
How about at Origins?

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #103
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
How about at Origins?
We do not have a booth at Origins this year.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #104
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
If we wish to promote Ogre, what we need is to get everyone out in the world playing Ogre. Go to your local conventions. Go to your local stores. Sit down. Play Ogre. Teach Ogre. Post session reports online. Post videos of gameplay online. Play Ogre.

What we are missing right now: New Ogre players.
I'm doing the best I can :-)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #105
ianargent

Seen on Facebook,

Quote:
Hello everyone a total newbie her to the game. I just won the 6th Edition box set at an event at International Tabletop Day. So I am excited to learn everything I can about the game. Where to watch a good tutorial video and what I need to add to the box such as record sheets etc and any links.
Emphasis mine. I also follow the BGG discussion group in FB (though I am not all that involved on BGG itself), and it seems that there is a certain amount of demand for video material for tabletop games these days.
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:07 AM   #106
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
Emphasis mine. I also follow the BGG discussion group in FB (though I am not all that involved on BGG itself), and it seems that there is a certain amount of demand for video material for tabletop games these days.
As it turns out, people actually enjoy watching other people play games. We probably should've figured that out earlier from, you know, sports.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #107
Maldark

I get most of my news through the Ogre GEV group on Facebook. Hate to say it, but I only come to the forums for answers, not news.

On organized play:
I was a wizkids mage knight/MechWarrior tournament runner as part of their organized play a few years back. And while I still love those games and play them as much as I can, the killer for their organized play was when they started giving away prizes that player had already bought.
Because of Ogre's design, unique pieces that can only be acquired through winning at organized play is not practical. This is one area I wish I could help with ideas, but the only idea I have is have games more often than once a quarter.

What I want to see most is NEW products.
Not old out of print items updated to 6th edition. I have played Ogre since the Metagaming days. I have all that old stuff. What I want is new units, new scenaries, and plastic COMBINE units. I was never able to finish my mini division in metal and am looking now to get the remaining 30 or so tanks in plastic.

On getting the word out:
back when I collected comics, I used to buy the new release magazine by diamond distributing. The magazine shows and talks about all the upcoming releases three months from the issue. It was great to read about upcoming releases.
Since the demise of Space Gamer, I have not scene a magazine that was widely read that talked about the gaming industry as a whole. Yes, pyramid tried to be what space gamer was, but paper copies in gaming stores are what gets the attention of new players. People that have never heard of SJGames are not going to go to warehouse 23 to buy a PDF of a magazine. Are their any paper magazines that cover the gaming industry as a whole today? I have not seen them if there is.

I hope these few poor ideas from a gamer that started gaming back in the late 70s with Avalon Hill and SPI can be of help.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #108
Maldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
As it turns out, people actually enjoy watching other people play games. We probably should've figured that out earlier from, you know, sports.
I was not surprised. watching them lets me make sure I understand the rules correctly. So now that I know there is a channel for these games, I plan to go watch them in the morning.

good night.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #109
TheAmishStig

4-hour convention block done and dusted on my part...a lot of "Wow, I haven't played this in 20 (or 30) years, I didn't know it was still around", a lot of surprise that it's as inexpensive as it is (the average guess was $70 for the 6E box).

One thing I do need to do is be more stubborn when it comes to "If you charge headlong at one another, the Ogre is going to roll right over you, barely be scratched, and you'll end up frustrated." side of things.

At my last even I tried giving a "Fair Warning" about needing to out-think rather than out-gun the Ogre followed up by "Are you sure?" if dismissed isn't getting the job done, so I need to find a way to ameliorate that when the table has too many players for me to be playing PanEuro and letting the Ogre gleefully squish me under its treads...thankfully it's a couple months until my next con, so there's plenty of time.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #110
schoon

Once the new miniatures sets are out, I think the best way to promote the game will be to set up a table with some nicely painted miniatures.

With Car Wars, the easiest way to attract a crowd was to set up a 3x arena and some nicely customized cars.

If it looks cool, people who have no idea what the game is will come and give it a go.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote