Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 AM   #641
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Or they can use the free http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/articles/DFOnTheCheap.pdf (Not nearly as much great material as DF15, but free.)
While I love seeing my website referenced, I will note that that article is specifically for the templates in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, and relies on the exact point budget and attribute assignments from those PDFs. It sounds very much like the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is going to tweak most, if not all, of the templates at least a little to increase the number of freely available points to allow all of the templates to purchase Racial Templates without having to modify them. This means that Dungeon Fantasy On The Cheap isn't going to work quite right with the templates from the DF RPG.

I'm hoping that the tweaks also make it so that all the templates have 50 points free, which will not only allow each template to choose a Racial Template but also allow each template to get a Mixed Profession Lens right out of the box without having to do any further tweaking. This will not only allow for a little better customization without having to blow the point budget, it will explain nicely why Humans are allowed to Multi-Class while other races can't ;-p

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen will work much better right out of the box for anyone wanting a lower point budget game. While DF On The Cheap works, it's a slightly clumsy cludge while DF15 is a worked solution. Well worth the $8, whether you want to play Henchmen or hire them.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-07-2016 at 02:44 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #642
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Also, what about a nice pdf of black and white map sheets? Full color is nice but printer cartridges are expensive.
For anyone who is looking for some nice black and white Maps they can print out I highly recommend 0One Games maps, especially the Blueprints series, (which you can purchase on Warehouse 23, among other places). All of his maps are feature rich, and any of the ones with Rule The Dungeon include a Hex overlay which can be used easily with GURPS. The Blueprints series is all black and white (or blue and white, if you want it for some reason), so not bad for printing. The maps are only $2-$4 each, well worth the couple bucks.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-07-2016 at 02:46 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #643
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
(. . .) people who are new to GURPS -- some of whom have actually actively avoided the system because they've heard that it's too detailed, it's huge and overwhelming, it's crammed full of a thousand rules for every ridiculous situation, it requires a scientific calculator, and so on. (. . .) it needs to emphasize that The Dungeon Fantasy RPG is simple, straightforward, easy to follow, etc.
According to this, I wonder if the DFRPG will cover rules that aren't exactly basic but that (to my mind) add a lot to the gaming experience, like the options for Extra Effort as they appear in the Basic Set, and also expanded for combat and magic in GURPS Martial Arts 2nd edition and GURPS Thaumatology.

Or perhaps such options will be regarded as too complex? I think that if they are clearly presented they aren't actually complex, and discarding interesting options like these (maybe others as well) can result into a dull (too much) rules-light game.

For what it's worth.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #644
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post

I'm hoping that the tweaks also make it so that all the templates have 50 points free, which will not only allow each template to choose a Racial Template but also allow each template to get a Mixed Profession Lens right out of the box without having to do any further tweaking. This will not only allow for a little better customization without having to blow the point budget, it will explain nicely why Humans are allowed to Multi-Class while other races can.
I'm hoping the templates are modular so it's pick template , pick weapon option. Pick spells or powers.

Then one or two lenses and among the lenses will are various races.

The first time players should see CP is when they earn xp and then it should be a minimum of whatever is equivalent to 4cp to raise a skill level. No messing around with 1,2,4,8 progression just an option to raise skill level by 1.

Last edited by lachimba; 09-07-2016 at 07:03 AM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #645
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
64,895 :)
I guess some people reconsidered. It's now down to $64,820.

But we did get $2,009 yesterday. Not a terrible drop from the $2,541 the previous day.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #646
b-dog

Is this going to include psionics?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #647
Nemoricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I'm hoping that the tweaks also make it so that all the templates have 50 points free, which will not only allow each template to choose a Racial Template but also allow each template to get a Mixed Profession Lens right out of the box without having to do any further tweaking.
There's a post somewhere that says that one specific professional template can't afford one specific racial template, but that's the only problem case.

It also leads me to think that the racial templates aren't all the same cost, so players will be seeing points in character creation, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Is this going to include psionics?
I rather doubt that. There's supposed to be eleven templates, and since there's eleven professional templates in DF1, that would leave out the Mentalist. Plus, Psionics are an additional set of rules in addition to what's already there, so I'm not sure that it would make sense for a starter product to include them.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #648
philreed
I do stuff and things.

EU shipping costs reduced. Latest update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...wered-by-gurps
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #649
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
EU shipping costs reduced. Latest update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...wered-by-gurps
Fenomenal. (See, I'm being international!)
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #650
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
And there was great rejoice! And now I might convince some friends to pony for a second box! Again, the price is per box, and one GM screen per box can be added without affecting shipping right?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy