Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #1641
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
This or SJ Games take on Horror would be my recommendation.
Modern Horror, a la Monster Hunters, seems to be doing well: Dracula Dossier, Night's Black Agents, and Delta Green are all full-color hardback products with both critical acclaim and an easy way to grasp the subject: modern day with monsters.

It's also, from a "the rules match the subject matter" perspective, GURPS' strong suit. I would find both of the above *settings* better and more fun for my style of play with GURPS than with their native rules systems.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #1642
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Anyway, I'll drop it. My overall point to Nymdok was what he probably already knew: art is singularly expensive, and "more color art" even more so. Sales numbers go up accordingly to make any given work profitable.
Yeah, I knew. :)

I wasnt offereing buisness advice, just offering my personal tastes and endorsement for the truly impressive and welcome art from Moore. The discussion was interesting and informative. I knew art had a 'footprint cost' just by the nature of taking up space (and therefore displacing 'rules' content). I had no idea it was that high on the expense list.

Anyway, I still like the new art....alot :)

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #1643
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
I would love to see a new DF world.
Hi Ivalero,

I remember that a suitable or specific world for Dungeon Fantasy was discussed in a number of threads around here, not long after the release of the first DF installments. I didn't like the idea very much, but here is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
(. . .) hack-and-slash, kill monsters and get their magic items? :)
Here's a suggestion: what about keeping joke formulas of the Munchkin card game in its own context? At least officially when it's about Dungeon Fantasy (the sub-line or the roleplaying game), which is a completely separated product.

Even if they can be funny, beyond it's frame they also have a negative reverse —and yes, for a commertial point of view, I've seen more people bothered about this, here and in other forums too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Playing the role of a murderhobo (. . .). It's best to draw the line before it includes an adventure path without much player choice, wherein the choices made in character don't amount to anything, and is hard for a new GM to run.
Murderhobos you say. Well, as I stated in the reply that you're quoting, I'm not supporting more adventures nor APs here in the context of this kickstarter project.

Now, beyond of it I'm not against some adventures for the DFRPG, and the epic character trooper6 has been suggesting for them doesn't require to follow the structure of Paizo's AP, which you point as very railroad-esque; designing epic adventures is, the way I understand it, more a matter of themes and tone.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #1644
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Im pretty sure at this point, Munchkin, in a way, is making GURPS possible. Muchikins been a solid revenue generator for quite a while and its gone quite a ways towards allowing enough slack in the budget so that GURPS isnt on the chopping block. Mucnhkin is NOT the problem and I doubt it ever has been.
You are in a sense correct that Munchkin provided the money to attempt this project in resources and labor. However that not the entire story.

Read the stakeholder reports from the time Munchkin was introduced. Also note what happened with the labor situation at SJ Games the OGRE kickstarter ran into issues. Steve Jackson is a smart businessman along with everything else. As part of that he only has the staff he absolutely needs. From what I understand the company for the most part is comprised of people working regular jobs with regular pay, and benefits. So anything they do not only has to turn a profit but enough of one to produce a living wage for everybody employed.

The DF Kickstarter is a test to see if GURPS and RPGs in general will produce enough to warrant the attention. It appears that $100,000 was the target they came up with and that was exceeded. Now we are seeing how much attention can be lavished on GURPS and RPGs by pushing the final number as high as we can.

Also note that this only means dollar amount at this point but bodies as well. Remember SJ Games were figuring around 2,000 signing up along with the $100,000. We have only 1,250+ at this point. People are shelling out around $100 on average.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #1645
Kalzazz

I would love seeing 'Munchkin Monsters for GURPS' 'Munchkin Treasures for GURPS' etc

But these are streams not crossed

But who wouldn't want to see a ST 21 weapon master wielding a +3 Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #1646
robertsconley

Quote:
Modern Horror, a la Monster Hunters, seems to be doing well: Dracula Dossier, Night's Black Agents, and Delta Green are all full-color hardback products with both critical acclaim and an easy way to grasp the subject: modern day with monsters.

It's also, from a "the rules match the subject matter" perspective, GURPS' strong suit. I would find both of the above *settings* better and more fun for my style of play with GURPS than with their native rules systems.
Pretty agree, personally if I was to try to run horror, it would be Urban Fantasy/Monster Hunter as I "grok" that better than the investigative Call of Cthulu style. SJ Games would know better than I which subgenre of Horror would sell best.

As for Space Opera, I would go for something similar to the Expanse, or Babylon 5. Not the redressed sci-fi fantasy of Star Wars. But that is my own personal taste. In the OSR, White Star which is a adaptation of Star Wars style space opera using classic D&D mechanics is selling very well. But Star without Numbers is a platinum seller which is a more Travelleresque take.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #1647
Kalzazz

I'd like to see Tales of the Solar Patrol fleshed out to a proper weighty time, or perhaps some happy hybrid of Flash Gordon, Star Trek and Andromeda . . . sleek starships, spiffy uniforms and heroes of good

Star Wars The Clone Wars cartoon with its frequent sword on sword, army on army, fleet on fleet throw downs would be good to
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #1648
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
As for Space Opera, I would go for something similar to the Expanse, or Babylon 5. Not the redressed sci-fi fantasy of Star Wars. But that is my own personal taste. In the OSR, White Star which is a adaptation of Star Wars style space opera using classic D&D mechanics is selling very well. But Star without Numbers is a platinum seller which is a more Travelleresque take.
I would like an Expanse style Space Opera, but I think it would need some Psi Powers IMO.

Back to DF: Will we get a vote for the third PDF? It's less than $2,000 with yesterday's gurps related sales. I figure we're close enough to warrant either a vote or knowledge of what the third pdf is.
Quote:
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #1649
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I'd (maybe) like to see us tackle a space opera box once we have more data on the success of this project.
Big cheers for this!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #1650
Edges

I don't mean to be a nuisance but would anyone at SJG have the time to answer my questions? It's rather basic information and it would strongly influence by decision to back.

Thank you.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy