Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
FireHorse

Default Re: Am I reading this wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So daggers, javelins and maces get sharp spikes for +1 damage while halberds, axes, and swords get sharp edged for +2 damage?
That seems reasonable. Quality of craftsmanship should not make as much difference for a weapon that is functionally "blunt" as it should for something that cuts.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
Axly Suregrip

Why not Dagger +2 damage?
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #13
Shostak

Daggers should get up to +2.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
RVA_Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Why not Dagger +2 damage?
When I look over it again, there's no reason not to give a fine dagger +2 damage.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
hcobb

Goblin hero
ST 6 DX 15 IQ 11
2xVery fine Daggers(1d+1+1) ($200 each)
Knife(1), Weapon Expertise-Dagger(3)

Makes two attacks per turn, one at adjDX10 for 2d+2 and another at adjDX11 for 1d+2, correct?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Goblin hero
ST 6 DX 15 IQ 11
2xVery fine Daggers(1d+1+1) ($200 each)
Knife(1), Weapon Expertise-Dagger(3)

Makes two attacks per turn, one at adjDX10 for 2d+2 and another at adjDX11 for 1d+2, correct?

You forgot Two Weapons talent. But yes that checks out. Of course at ST 6 with no armor, he is one stray arrow or attack away from dead.
NOTE TO SELF: avoid the goblins in hcobb's world.
:-)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #17
Shostak

Quote:
You forgot Two Weapons talent. But yes that checks out. Of course at ST 6 with no armor, he is one stray arrow or attack away from dead.
NOTE TO SELF: avoid the goblins in hcobb's world.
:-)
The goblin does not need Two Weapons talent to make a second attack with a dagger at -4DX. Anyone can do it, as per ITL 111.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The goblin does not need Two Weapons talent to make a second attack with a dagger at -4DX. Anyone can do it, as per ITL 111.
Hello Shostak,
Sorry to disagree with you.

From pg 111 regarding Two Weapons talent:
"A person who does not have this talent may attempt the same feat, but his DX will be -6 for each attack"

From under the Two Weapons talent on pg 41:
"(a) attack with both weapons, at normal DX for the first attack and -4 for the second one."
Old 03-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #19
hcobb

Quote:
From pg 111 regarding Two Weapons talent:
"A person who does not have this talent may attempt the same feat, but his DX will be -6 for each attack"
And just before that: "If you take an attack option, you can also make a separate dagger attack against the same enemy. It is rolled at -4 DX"

And at ITL41 "Any character can fight with two weapons at once – if one of the weapons is a dagger, main-gauche, or spike shield, or if some combination like net-and-trident or two cesti is being used. However, a character who wants to fight with two swords, sword and mace, or other such combination must have this talent"

So Two Weapons is of very limited use on top of Weapon Expertise-Dagger.

BTW: When is the last time you pickpocketed a very fine silver dagger your character saw openly displayed on a belt in public? (It's a $2k value just for the base item before you add in the value of the Staff V enchantment!) But that would bring up the issue of handiness for the standard silver dagger-staff and brand. Is the dagger-staff in the dominate or off-hand WRT to-hit rolls? A sinister question about dexterity. (If you have a DX 9 sorceress then your to-hit with the off-hand dagger-staff is better if you don't have Knife talent of course. The only pity is that the three magical attacks per turn with no weapons talents all have to be made against the same target.)

Last edited by hcobb; 03-21-2019 at 03:40 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #20
Skarg

Quote:
BTW: When is the last time you pickpocketed a very fine silver dagger your character saw openly displayed on a belt in public? (It's a $2k value just for the base item before you add in the value of the Staff V enchantment!) But that would bring up the issue of handiness for the standard silver dagger-staff and brand. Is the dagger-staff in the dominate or off-hand WRT to-hit rolls? A sinister question about dexterity. (If you have a DX 9 sorceress then your to-hit with the off-hand dagger-staff is better if you don't have Knife talent of course. The only pity is that the three magical attacks per turn with no weapons talents all have to be made against the same target.)
* The last time someone pickpocketed a dagger that was a staff, they died from the 3d damage staff effect.

* The Staff V enchantment is only valuable to the person who cast the staff spell, and it makes the item a positive hazard to anyone else, so it has at most zero market value and at worst it's makes it deadly and suspicious as stolen goods.

* What is "the standard dagger-staff and brand"?

* Presumably if someone has a silver dagger staff and a brand (magic torch), they'd use their dominaNT hand for the weapon not the light source / fire-starter, no?

* If I had a DX 9 figure with a dagger in their off hand, and they had the knife talent, I would think they would attack at adjDX 5 with it. If they did not have the knife talent and tried a left-hand 1-hex-range (not HTH) attack with it, I would think they would attack at either adjDX 1 (old TFT rules), or at adjDX 5 but need to roll 4d6 to hit (new rules). So what's the advantage of not having the knife talent or of trying to use it in the off hand?

* What three magical attacks? A magical club brand for club or torch damage at DX, and a magical but otherwise normal dagger attack at adjDX -4, and an arcane staff V attack?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote