Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
GWJ

Default Sprinting

Are there
Quote:
If you select a Move maneuver on two or more consecutive turns and spend all your movement points running forward on one turn, you’re considered to be sprinting. You get +1 movement point to spend on forward movement the following turn. This is common when running away (p. 22)
only rules about sprinting? The rest of if (from GURPS) are gone? There is now possibility to make any sharp turns while sprinting, and there is no penalties for anything? Am I understand it correctly?

And what about this
Quote:
Ignore target speed except when your target (...) using Move maneuvers to sprint (...). Then add speed in yards/second (i.e., hexes moved) to range in yards and look up the total in the “Speed/Range” column to fnd the penalty
It means even dwarf with the heaviest plate armor with Move 2, when sprinting, is adding his speed to someone's distance for penalties? And even if sleek elven Scout has Move 9, and it has NOT sprinting - there will be no additional penalties to hit him?

And this is for ANY mowe, or just "across" of vision?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Sprinting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
There is now possibility to make any sharp turns while sprinting, and there is no penalties for anything?
Since you mentioned Exploits pg 22 I presume you read this: "A straight, clear course (not twisting tunnels), grants +1 to Move."

And... where did you get the idea that this was somehow changed? GURPS has always required forward* movement when sprinting, which of course allows for slow turns.

* 'Forward' means "into the front three hexes" and always has.

Quote:
And this is for ANY mowe, or just "across" of vision?
Any move... and it works exactly the same in Basic GURPS.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
It means even dwarf with the heaviest plate armor with Move 2, when sprinting, is adding his speed to someone's distance for penalties?
Note, however, that this doesn't really have much of an impact unless the dwarf starts in melee range. Let's say the dwarf turns to run away from the pesky scout. His first turn he gets two yards away but he's not sprinting yet so that scout has no penalty. On turn two, Dwarf can go 3 more yards. So he's five yards away (let's pretend the scout is glued to the floor) in terms of distance (which would be a -2 penalty) but he gets to add his movement since he is springing for an effective 8 yards (-3 penalty). So he got a whopping extra penalty for the archer who can still probably take out his kidneys with bodkins.

If said Dwarf were at the far side of a huge Moria hall, his speed would have no impact unless he were within three yards of the cutoff value.

Quote:
And even if sleek elven Scout has Move 9, and it has NOT sprinting - there will be no additional penalties to hit him?
Yeah, I get it that this seems a bit weird, but he does get a lot of benefit from that movement. He's flying all over the battle map. So even if his speed isn't technically giving him a speed bonus, he can move from 0 to -3 in one second.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Since you mentioned Exploits pg 22 I presume you read this: "A straight, clear course (not twisting tunnels), grants +1 to Move."

And... where did you get the idea that this was somehow changed? GURPS has always required forward* movement when sprinting, which of course allows for slow turns.

* 'Forward' means "into the front three hexes" and always has.

Any move... and it works exactly the same in Basic GURPS.
Yeah, but in Basic Set, there was also chapter about High-Speed Movement, with additional rules about turning radius, acceleration/deceleration, pushing envelope, etc. That's what (lack of) I'm asking about :)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:15 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but in Basic Set, there was also chapter about High-Speed Movement...
Yes, and those rules in Basic were for High Speed Movement. There is almost no instance when they would ever apply to sprinting.

The only thing missing from High Speed Movement is the requirement for deceleration.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yes, and those rules in Basic were for High Speed Movement. There is almost no instance when they would ever apply to sprinting.

The only thing missing from High Speed Movement is the requirement for deceleration.
So when can I find these High Speed Movement rules without deceleration, in DFRPG
Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
So when can I find these High Speed Movement rules without deceleration, in DFRPG
Let me rephrase... "The only thing missing from High Speed Movement rules for sprinting is deceleration..."

If you're wanting to bring over the full High Speed Movement* rules for something with Enhanced Move, then you'll have to do that. I presume the assumption in DFRPG is that everything has a turning radius of 1.

As you might have noticed, DFRPG is trimmed down to remove a lot of the fiddly bits from Basic, so if you want them, you'll have to import them.

* Deceleration and turning radius.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Note, however, that this doesn't really have much of an impact unless the dwarf starts in melee range. Let's say the dwarf turns to run away from the pesky scout. His first turn he gets two yards away but he's not sprinting yet so that scout has no penalty. On turn two, Dwarf can go 3 more yards. So he's five yards away (let's pretend the scout is glued to the floor) in terms of distance (which would be a -2 penalty) but he gets to add his movement since he is springing for an effective 8 yards (-3 penalty). So he got a whopping extra penalty for the archer who can still probably take out his kidneys with bodkins.

If said Dwarf were at the far side of a huge Moria hall, his speed would have no impact unless he were within three yards of the cutoff value.

Yeah, I get it that this seems a bit weird, but he does get a lot of benefit from that movement. He's flying all over the battle map. So even if his speed isn't technically giving him a speed bonus, he can move from 0 to -3 in one second.
I'm thinking more about approaching, than running away :P