Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
JMason

Default Counters with even width

I wanted a visual aid to help aid with the combat map "footprint" of monsters of various sizes. The chart in Monsters (seen on the back cover) gives the dimensions, but the three animals shown next to it don't cover even half of the various sizes. So I created a google drawing to sort of map this out.

But while working on this, I can't quite get how creatures that have an even (2, 4, ect) number of width hexes are suppose to look. The problem comes from the need to have a "front" size (thus a flat hex side). But this means that a 1x2 figure will have his "head" on his left or right, not in the middle.

Or is it suppose to have his "head" be between the two hexes, this would give the figure 4 front hexes?

Here is the chart I've been working on with the figures in question in red.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old 12-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Counters with even width

The easiest method is probably to just have an oval counter you put on the map, and the creature occupies whatever hexes its counter overlays.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The easiest method is probably to just have an oval counter you put on the map, and the creature occupies whatever hexes its counter overlays.
Okay, but then I get a figure that has a 5 hex "foot print".

Here is a quick mockup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Css...ew?usp=sharing

Does that mean that other characters in any of those 5 hexes are in "close combat" with the figure? Can characters in any of the surrounding 12 hexes hit the figure with reach 1 weapons?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Okay, but then I get a figure that has a 5 hex "foot print".
So does your Boxy SM +2 figure with the red mark around it. What's the problem with a 5 hex footprint, vs a 4 hex or 10 hex or whatever?

The orientation you're using for the oval based one seems bad for most actual animals, which are short-end-forward rather than long-end-forward. I would not assume that moose sidestep everywhere just because it gives a relatively "flat" front end :P

Regardless, boxy minis mean that facing "up-down" vs "left-right" produces different hex footprints. In one direction a figure might be nice and regular and in another they might not. It's just a thing you deal with.

Last edited by Bruno; 12-13-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Anthony

This is why a number of games use circular minis for everything.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
So does your Boxy SM +2 figure with the red mark around it. What's the problem with a 5 hex footprint, vs a 4 hex or 10 hex or whatever?

The orientation you're using for the oval based one seems bad for most actual animals, which are short-end-forward rather than long-end-forward. I would not assume that moose sidestep everywhere just because it gives a relatively "flat" front end :P

Regardless, boxy minis mean that facing "up-down" vs "left-right" produces different hex footprints. In one direction a figure might be nice and regular and in another they might not. It's just a thing you deal with.
No problem, I just want to make sure that is right. It seems rather large for a figure that is listed as needing to take up 1x2 hexes.

The oval one here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Css...ew?usp=sharing) is suppose to be for the Upright figure, so not an animal, but a giant.

And the next step for me after figuring out the footprint is figuring out what are the Front, Side, and Back hexes. The 5-hex footprint means that this would have 5 front hexes, 4 side hexes (2 each side), and 3 back hexes ... I think.

Here is my work up of that (green = front, yellow = side, red = back):
Old 12-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
JMason

Okay, after looking at this some more, I think my issue is that I keep thinking that a counter needs to fill X by Y hexes. So the 1x2 Upright figure is going to take up 2 hexes on the battle map (the same way that a 2x1 figure would).

But maybe this is wrong? That same figure could be placed in 4 hexes if it was centered on the border between two like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jNC...ew?usp=sharing

That is the same actual size as the sleek 2x1, but keeps proper facing.... I think. Am I still off track here?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
JMason

I created a new set of templates with what I think is the correct placement of counters and showing how they'd fit on a combat grid here:

and

Still not sure if this is right, but it seems workable.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Bruno

Looks good. Try picking the "Head" hex and rotating them around that point - that's how they'll be used in play.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #10
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Looks good. Try picking the "Head" hex and rotating them around that point - that's how they'll be used in play.
Hm, yeah that's a good point. If I start with a "head" hex, and just let the rest fall where the may, it might simplify things a bit. I'll have to go back to my previous look for the SM+2 upright figure. Thanks.