Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Frost Giant

Default Ragnar the Viking from Melee Rulebook Example

Ragnar, with spear and large shield, leather armor: Shield on left arm to catch hits, spear in right hand. Ragnar has initiative. Does he DROP the shield, because he needs both hands for the spear? I think he would have to in order to ready the spear for a thrust. He doesn't have time to sling it to his back, right? After the attack with the spear can he PICK UP the shield in the same turn?
I'm liking pole arms but haven't yet used them because of this. May be I'm just confused but I don't get how this works. Any help appreciated!
Thanks!
Frost Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Ragnar the Viking from Melee Rulebook Example

I remember Spear always had the option to be used one handed (1d6 damage) or two handed (1d6+1 damage). That's still the case in the ITL Legacy rulebook but there seems to be only the option for two handed use in my Melee PDF. I'll check my hard copy when I get the chance.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Frost Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I remember Spear always had the option to be used one handed (1d6 damage) or two handed (1d6+1 damage). That's still the case in the ITL Legacy rulebook but there seems to be only the option for two handed use in my Melee PDF. I'll check my hard copy when I get the chance.
I'm thinking he should be able to make a one-handed-thrust, maybe at less damage, and still keep the shield ready. Haven't seen anything in print, though.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Giant View Post
I'm thinking he should be able to make a one-handed-thrust, maybe at less damage, and still keep the shield ready. Haven't seen anything in print, though.
Like I said, its in the ITL rulebook, so you can.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
Frost Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Like I said, its in the ITL rulebook, so you can.
You did, sorry, long day. I'll look in my book tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #6
Skarg

Such confusion might arise from only looking at the basic Melee weapon table, where only the two-handed use of a spear is listed. See ITL for the one-handed spear option.

(Not great for people who only have basic Melee, which is where the one-handed spear and shield counter H is from...)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Giant View Post
Ragnar, with spear and large shield, leather armor: Shield on left arm to catch hits, spear in right hand. Ragnar has initiative. Does he DROP the shield, because he needs both hands for the spear? I think he would have to in order to ready the spear for a thrust. He doesn't have time to sling it to his back, right? After the attack with the spear can he PICK UP the shield in the same turn?
I'm liking pole arms but haven't yet used them because of this. May be I'm just confused but I don't get how this works. Any help appreciated!
Thanks!
If basic Melee is the rules you are using, then the Spear is 2 handed. Ragnar would have the Large Shield slung on his back, not in his hands, so he may use the spear. Note a slung shield protects from read hexside at not DX cost.

If ITL is the rules, then either as above, or you may use the Spear as 1 handed. Thus having both spear and shield ready.

You are right, you cannot both attack and sling/ready weapons in the same turn (unless using Quick Draw talent). Attacking and changing weapons are separate actions and one will need to be chosen per turn.

have fun!
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
larsdangly

Yes, this is one of those little inconsistencies between Melee and ITL. Personally, i would have ironed these all out because none of them are helpful in any way, and they lead to confusion. In practice, I just use ITL as the rules source when these situations come up.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Frost Giant

Thanks guys!