Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Heroes casting spells

Is the DX penalty for heroes casting spells gone? I can't seem to find it. If I remember correctly it used to be -4DX and then another -4DX if you wore iron or steel.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
raniE

Default Re: Heroes casting spells

The limitation on heroes casting spells is gone in the new edition. This was a good change in my opinion, as heroes already paid three times the cost to learn a spell and were likely to have very few anyway. Iron and steel inhibiting spellcasting remains however, that rule can be founbd on p 140 of the new In the Labyrinth, in the advanced magic section. This was a good thing to keep, in my opinion.
raniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
If I remember correctly it used to be -4DX and then another -4DX if you wore iron or steel.
Only the iron/steel penalty remains.

Gestures and Incantations(ITL 142) seems to say "wizard" instead of "caster" so it's unclear if a hero needs both hands free to cast even simple spells.

See also ITL 18: "Non-wizards, by definition, understand less about the spells they have learned."

Last edited by hcobb; 05-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
Nils_Lindeberg

Thanks for quick answers. :-)

I got my box last week and is putting together a party to take on the Thorz.

Is there a summary of the more important rule changes, like this one? It's kind of hard to find something that has been removed, or just slightly reworded, but now has a different meaning. I liked the Thief talent that got a short reminder that it is gone in the talents table.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
larsdangly

This is an important change that I support whole heartedly. It opens up the 'design' space of characters, providing an avenue to create all sorts of hybrids, and do model archetypes that used to be hard to do (e.g., paladins and priests and so forth). These things were possible in the original edition, but the -4 penalty tilted the playing field enough that it was basically not worthwhile and people didn't do it. Now, I find myself constantly creating 'talented' wizards and 'magical' heroes.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote