Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2019, 02:10 AM   #1
Greg 1

Default (DF) Western Adventures

I love Christopher R. Rice's Pyramid article "Eastern Adventures", which takes DF games to Eastern inspired lands, as "Oriental Adventures" once did for AD&D. This really should be a full DF supplement!

I'd like to see a supplement that does the same thing for Europe. Yes, DF at default generally feels more "Western" than "Eastern", but a lot of it's tropes tend more to generic fantasy rather than having a distinctly Western feel.

How would you modify DF for games set in the mysterious West?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
SteamBub

Default Re: (DF) Western Adventures

I would think that the GURPS Fantasy would be the goto for something like that. Maybe also the Third Edition books Russia, Greece, Vikings, Middle Ages 1, Celtic Myth, and Imperial Rome.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
ajardoor

You mean, like in The New World? The Americas?
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Yeah, I'm having trouble envisioning what this might mean. Most "generic" fantasy tropes are pretty emphatically western.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
capnq

It might be clearer to call it "occidental", which would be covered by GURPS Middle Ages 1; at first glance, I thought "western" meant GURPS Old West.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain

Last edited by capnq; 01-10-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: add second link
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

My thought would be to play up feudal relationships and the (mounted) knight in shining armor. A lot of Dungeon Fantasy plays around in a world that's rather more urban and modern that the Medieval period.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
Phantasm

To be fair, an Old West game with DF tropes (but of course lacking Fantasy Gun Control) could be fun. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
Black Leviathan

I'm at a bit of a loss too. I think the article was more about how you could reshape Dungeon Fantasy into a Non-Greyhawk setting. The Dungeon Fantasy default is fairly Western. The absence of Medieval European politics and social order is more a function of the fantasy setting. If you're looking for something that feels more profoundly Western European I'd toss out the Dungeon Fantasy aesthetic entirely and start with GURPS Middle Ages and prop it up with some Low Tech equipment and methodology. From there you can decide how much magic and supernatural beasts to sprinkle into your game.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I love Christopher R. Rice's Pyramid article "Eastern Adventures", which takes DF games to Eastern inspired lands, as "Oriental Adventures" once did for AD&D. This really should be a full DF supplement!

I'd like to see a supplement that does the same thing for Europe. Yes, DF at default generally feels more "Western" than "Eastern", but a lot of it's tropes tend more to generic fantasy rather than having a distinctly Western feel.
Two things here:
  • Rice’s article shows just how long these reskins should be. There’s no reason to go much beyond Pyramid article length. AD&D Oriental Adventures was as long as it was because it replaced huge swaths of the Players Handbook, often with itself. Most of the spells were the same. The monk was mostly the same. The attributes were the same. It added new rules for skills because AD&D thitherto had lacked them. Without doing these things, it would have been about half length, at most. A GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplement would be even less since the skill system is baked in and
  • “Generic fantasy” tropes are mostly European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
My thought would be to play up feudal relationships and the (mounted) knight in shining armor. A lot of Dungeon Fantasy plays around in a world that's rather more urban and modern that the Medieval period.
The problem is that no longer is a Dungeon Fantasy game, but rather a straight fantasy one using Dungeon Fantasy as a base for character abilities. Dungeon Fantasy is about killing monsters and taking their stuff. Can you use Dungeon Fantasy to play the game you describe? Sure. It’s a fair amount of my campaign, in fact. But those parts of my campaign are hardly Dungeon Fantasy.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
To be fair, an Old West game with DF tropes (but of course lacking Fantasy Gun Control) could be fun. :)
Oh yes indeed. That’s what I thought this thread was until I read it.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy