Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Jerander

Default [Fantasy] Why only one familiar?

Hi,

Any particular reason that in (most?) fantasy, mages only have one familiar? Assuming familiars as laid out in Dungeon Fantasy: Allies, was there a reason the limit was one? What would be the effects of allowing two or more?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: [Fantasy] Why only one familiar?

I don't limit the number of familiars in my setting and there really aren't adverse effects. My setting is pretty heavy on spirits, nature, and animism in general, so a spirit mate with hordes of familiars fits in well.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Hi,

Any particular reason that in (most?) fantasy, mages only have one familiar? Assuming familiars as laid out in Dungeon Fantasy: Allies, was there a reason the limit was one? What would be the effects of allowing two or more?
The main reason to avoid multiple allies (including familiars) is the increased time and hassle for the GM.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
munin

Quote:
…Assuming familiars as laid out in Dungeon Fantasy: Allies, was there a reason the limit was one? What would be the effects of allowing two or more? …
One thing you would have to work out is how the Granted By Familiar limitation works when there are multiple familiars. The fairest way would be to identify which familiar is granting which ability.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
DangerousThing

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you,
Jerander.
I think partly because fantasy tales and stories usually assume only one familiar.

However, there are stories where a character may have spirit allies in addition to a familiar. Though these allies are not in the same personal relationship as a familiar.

Just my thoughts.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Anaraxes

In most fiction I've seen, familiar-ity is usually assumed to be a unique and special relationship. You don't have more than one familiar because then it's not that special bond. Also, familiars are often developed characters.

In your own setting, there's no reason you can't have more than one, if that's what you want. Dramatically, I'd think this would tend to make familiars less special, particularly if they have no individual personalities and are just excuses to have good scouts / spies and places to hang cheap powers.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Well, for an MMO example, the WoW Warlock has multiple demon-familiars, and can occasionally have two present simultaneously (Doomguard/Infernal). Switchable alternating familiars are probably both more fun and more point efficient than just walking around with two.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Ji ji

Any particular reason that in most fiction, heroes only have one girlfriend, one mythical weapon, one old sage superhuman friend?
Yes. It's cool. Two girlfriends, two mythical weapons and two old sage superhuman friend can be cool too, but they are less common.

No reason to avoid two familiars. Only, when one thing works fine (in fiction) there's no particular reason to use two ones.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Humabout

Something I had to rectify when I was first developing my fantasy world was sorting out things like just what a familiar is, how many you can have, how they differ from totems or animal friends, how many animal friends you can have, how they differ from totems, and how many totems you can have. Ultimately, I settled on "as many as you want, provided the individual spirits involved don't mind." It doesn't cause any issues.

As for a PC having multiple Allies, it's really not as bad as Anthony says. I had a DF game where one PC was a spoiled brat who regularly took half his household with him into dungeons, including two porters to carry him about in a sedan chair. He was completely inept with weapons and used his staff to fight. He was a blast to GM, and the other players loved the dynamic he brought.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
jason taylor

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you,
Jerander.
Maybe there are only a limited number of demons for the Lord of Darkness to assign as case officers?