Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
HighKingScrungis

Default Naming Species

So I have a few issues with the world that I am trying to both write and then use in a campaign. The lore is really complicated, but I am trying to name one species in particular. They were once a sci-fi race that devolved back thousands of years due to what I can only sum up as magical radiation. Now they are split into a few categories. The main two are 'Highbreeds' and 'Lowbreeds'. As far as stats go, this can translate to elves and orcs respectively. The issue is, I have no idea what to actually call this race. They all come from an underground continent full of abominations and migrated up. For themeing, I would like it to match my other race, which I have called 'Omnithropes' because they physically change to reflect their environment. I can give more detail on the world and it's lore if that would help.
HighKingScrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Naming Species

IME, it's best to keep the names simple; one or two syllables are best, three at most. This makes it easier not only for the race in question to say, but also the players and other folks in the game world.

Feel free to steal words from other languages, too. I've been known to use languages such as Swahili, Hindi, and Korean for naming things, if I wanted to give them a slightly more exotic flavor to the names.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Anders

What language do you want them named in? Giving them names in suitable distorted e.g. anglo-saxon can give them a feel of being ancient. According to this dictionary, "lowbreed" or (properly) lowborn in Anglo-Saxon is "Ceorlboren" (cp. "churl") and Highborn could be "Cyneboren". To make a tribe-name you add "-ung", so Ceorlboren would become Ceorlungs and Cyneboren could be "Cynung" (cp. "king").
Old 11-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
GodBeastX

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

Best site in the world when you can't think of names. Will generate names from languages to fictional ideas.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Purple Haze

Who is doing the naming? If it is the race itself, it is likely to be something like "The People", "Mankind", or "Human Beings" in their own language.

If others are naming them then either their geographic origin or their most distinguishing feature in the other's language. These can be disparaging.

Often, the dominant culture adopts the first new people encountered's name for the second one encountered.

Maybe: Underthings, Deep Ones, Diggers, ...
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
HighKingScrungis

I wasnt expecting so many responses right away! So, you guys brought up a few good questions, like who is doing the naming. I think it would need two separate names. The human government got real fascist and sciencey (not evil per se) right around when any gameplay starts, so they would give them something complicated and scientific sounding. Anders, you're definitely on the right track as for what they would call themselves.

So, for some context, the world is basically a giant bio-dome. The species in question was once a post singularity, TL 30ish race. They arent necessarily aware of their ancestry, but the feelings of supremacy remain.

I also have been thinking of renaming humans. They're more of a construct race resembling humans. Oh man, I might need to get in to the worlds lore just to home in on the naming conventions.
HighKingScrungis is offline   Reply With Quote