Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Anders

Default Luck or Impulse Buys

I'm starting a fairly low-magic set in Scandinavian Folktales-land soon, and the characters are chosen by destiny. Now, in PowerUps 5 we learn that Destiny can be represented by something we might as well call Fate Points - they'd get 3 of those. Or I could give them Luck (15 points). Both would essentially be campaign features - PCs get them for free. Standard rules from PU5 will be followed if I go the Fate Points route. Game sessions would be 4 to 5 hours long, if that matters.

What would the result be on campaign flavor for either option?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Luck or Impulse Buys

I've only used Impulse Buys with real character points that I lost if I used. A ground of friends have used a mechanic a lot more like Destiny Points, and found that there's a tendency to time-fill late in a session when they're out of points, to avoid doing anything dangerous without a safety net. Time-based Luck doesn't do that.

Both Luck and Impulse Buys make characters more willing to take risks, mostly by not worrying about bad outcomes, because they can avoid them.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
Anders

My problem with using character points is that it rewards people who use a passive, no-risk style. I want my characters to take risks - I just want them to survive when they forget my maxim of RPG playing.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #4
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
My problem with using character points is that it rewards people who use a passive, no-risk style. I want my characters to take risks - I just want them to survive when they forget my maxim of RPG playing.
"The content owner has not made this video available on mobiles. Add to playlist to watch it later on a PC"?

That's a peculiar maxim.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
Anders

Know when to hold'em
Know when to fold'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

You never count your money
while you're sitting at the table
there'll be time enough for counting
when the dealing's done
Old 08-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
My problem with using character points is that it rewards people who use a passive, no-risk style.
That depends on your scenario structure. The most recent campaign I've played using Impulse Buys was Madness Dossier. The scenario structure tended to involve several sessions of investigation, and then one or two with violence. The commando character had to hoard his points during the investigation phase and expect to burn them fast during he violence; the investigative characters used points to find and understand the scenario, and didn't have so many left when it came to violence.

Impulse Buys make it possible in theory to do things that your character is unskilled in by buying successes on default skills, but you burn a lot of points doing that, and it isn't really cost-effective.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
The Benj

Quote:
Know when to hold'em
Know when to fold'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

You never count your money
while you're sitting at the table
there'll be time enough for counting
when the dealing's done
I know, I was just being facetious.

Personally, I like Destiny Points for the way they only come back 1 per session, so spending them all in one session is still risky for their next.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
Dwarf99

I had a thread on serendipity in which I found the error of my ways. I'll see about digging that up for you.

Edit: My bad, it was about modifying the recharge interval. Not specifically useful, but if you want here it is

Last edited by Dwarf99; 08-24-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That depends on your scenario structure. The most recent campaign I've played using Impulse Buys was Madness Dossier. The scenario structure tended to involve several sessions of investigation, and then one or two with violence. The commando character had to hoard his points during the investigation phase and expect to burn them fast during he violence; the investigative characters used points to find and understand the scenario, and didn't have so many left when it came to violence.

Impulse Buys make it possible in theory to do things that your character is unskilled in by buying successes on default skills, but you burn a lot of points doing that, and it isn't really cost-effective.
How many points did you give out per session?
Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
How many points did you give out per session?
I was a player, not the GM. The GM was usually giving us about three points per session, plus bonuses if we used a lot, provided we didn't try to game this.

Tags
luck, power-ups 5