Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
duskblade

Default Munchkin 7 – More Good Cards

i love munchkin but at this point i think its getting to be a little much on the fantasy line, its all well and good but i would like to see some more expansions for the others sets like star or bites, still going to get this though
duskblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
IsamuKun

Default Re: Munchkin 7 – More Good Cards

As someone who largely prefers classic Munchkin over the others I see this as nothing but a good thing, but hope there's more than just Blender cards in it from other sets.

Though I always did wonder why the classic game got more expansions than the other ones did. Perhaps lack of theme based humor for said genres?
IsamuKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
DrFaust
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsamuKun
Though I always did wonder why the classic game got more expansions than the other ones did. Perhaps lack of theme based humor for said genres?
Or the fantasy genre sells better, much like the game from which classic Munchkin took its inspiration.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Proto Persona

Honestly this one looks like an easy way to push another x-pack out the door without impacting development much. Most of the cards seem to be from other sets, such as blender. Slap some new art and the classic card back, and presto "new" expansion.

That said, we can never have enough of "More Good Cards" so I for one will be picking it up right away. ^_^
Proto Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Persona
Slap some new art and the classic card back, and presto "new" expansion.
I wish it was that easy.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Progmode

• More Wandering Monsters! Awesome. I've always felt that there was a deficit of WM cards.
  • More Monster Enhancers! Also awesome. I can see some potential for even more drawn out end games though.
  • More Cheats! I can take or leave this. I have enough CWBH from the Rigged Demo, and I've rarely found CLTNT to be extremely useful.
  • More Curses! Always welcome.
  • More Wishing Rings! This balances out the fact that there are more curses, so it makes sense.
  • Plus potions, items, and item enhancers! This is cool.

I think the thing I like best is that it sounds like this will be another expansion that isn't dependent on previous ones (unless some of the items are restricted by race). Heck I might grab two depending on how many of each card are in a set.

Ever since this was mentioned in the latest WWG, I've been curious which cards from other sets will be included. I wonder if some of the other items in this set will be from (or derived from) items in other sets.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
I think the thing I like best is that it sounds like this will be another expansion that isn't dependent on previous ones (unless some of the items are restricted by race).
I think you're right, but I don't have the files at home and I may be forgetting a card or two.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
Astartus

Sorry, but this just sounds like a revamped "Blender" with Fantasy cardbacks and some new cards. But the majority of the cards sounds like just being taken from Blender and given the fantasy cardstyle.

And it isother of these small half-expansions, which I simply can't stand.

I second the motion for more expansions for the less-loved games (like Bites 3, Impossible 2 and so on).
Astartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
Kwakkie

I like the idea. Munchkin with all it's expansions is big enough for blender. But I've never added blender because of the card backs.

Original set expansions will probably keep selling. We all know that we'll keep on buying them. In fact, I guess the set expansions outsell some of the other base sets.
Kwakkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Since this is in response to an online survey that was announced here and many other places, I think it is clear that there is a large enough market out there for this product. Those who don't like it can continue to not like it, but SJG made this for the people who said they wanted exactly the things available in this expansion.

I think it bears noting that the original Munchkin base set is in its 14th printing. That's 2 a year since its release. If I put my mind to it, I can only think of one product that might outpace it (in the short term), and that's Munchkin Cthulhu. Cthulhu has only been out a little while, and Munchkin has been running for a long time, so give it time and we'll see how it goes. As an outsider, I see a fairly obvious trend: Orignal Munchkin, over the long haul, outsells everything else.

If anyone with hard numbers wants to back me up, please do.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
misprints, munchkin 7