Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #141
Stripe

Default Re: [OOC] Dungeon Fantasy -- Gorefest Dungeon

Unfortunately, yes. We have no healer... :(

But, he's your character.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #142
Stix4armz

Yes! We don't have a healer if you don't keep that spell, so please keep it. (and use it on Jorek if you don't mind, he took 10 damage in that last fight).
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #143
Jovus

If people like, I could make a wizard/cleric instead. It might require Jim to suddenly transition from a Dark One to a human, though. Fickle things, those Old Ones.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #144
Stripe

Sounds like a hotfix to me! XD

Go for it.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #145
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Sounds like a hotfix to me! XD

Go for it.
Done and posted for your review (in the original post). Let me call out both that a) we have less ability to deal with the insubstantial, since I have Turn Spirit now but not Affect Insubstantial, and b) Jim may well be quite a bit more of a force multiplier now with Great Haste. Also, I had to play a little loose with the disadvantages, converting Exommunicated over to his new Obsession and giving him perhaps too many points there. (Your call. If I need to, I can try to reshuffle or just spend the next 10 points buying off the obsession.)

As for wizardly spells I went for Movement and Mind Control this time, just to see how they'd play out (and to sort-of preserve the bit where he couldn't do much in the last fight, as a nod toward plausibility.

Oh, and for everyone: what tentacles? No, those have never been there; have you been eating funny moss off the walls again?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #146
Stripe

I don't have time right now to check, but I know the bard has a ton of mind control.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #147
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I don't have time right now to check, but I know the bard has a ton of mind control.
I can't believe I didn't even think of that. Well, I'm liable to change it up again tomorrow, then.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #148
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

And the thief has quite a bit of movement. its kind of funny, really.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #149
Jovus

Bah. Maybe I'll just go for fire.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #150
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
Bah. Maybe I'll just go for fire.
Fire is not so useful either. Air, Earth, and Water are each easily more powerful than Fire. They are each among the most powerful colleges, along with Illusion and Protection. Light and Darkness is excellent as well.

Were I to focus on one, it would probably be Protection and Warning, with Meta-Spells thrown in.

By far the most powerful spell in the game is Bless, since it is not likely to be house-ruled out of existence as are some of the others. I don't think the GM wants elephant tornadoes, or any tactics reliant on specific spells, which does present unique difficulties for a wizard, since it pays off to specialize.

Some spells are so incredibly amazing that when you have them they alter the entire game. Force Wall is an example, as are Perfect Illusion, Lend Energy, Flash, Concussion, Invisible Wizard Eye, and Create Animal.

Others require combinations to reach full effect. Dark Vision maintained on the entire party in combination with Darkness or Blackout immediately destroy any enemy that does not possess Darkvision of its own.

It's important to keep in mind that an awful lot of enemies will be immune to any spells that grant a resistance roll. That's why I would recommend against a focus on Body Control. Those spells are nice when they're all you have, but my character already has us covered in usefulness against sapients. Mind Control covers the same bases.

The Movement spells are likewise amazing, though they lack utility in the dungeon. Hawk Flight and Cloud-Vaulting smash normal adventures, but they're of little use underground and scant steps away from town. Great Haste requires great skill. Only Ethereal Body draws my attention from the Movement college, though it is great indeed, especially combined with Invisibility and Mage-Stealth.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote