Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #21
Zone

Default Re: What is In Nomine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
You can't imagine how glad we are to have you.
You can't imagine how glad I am to be here.

To be honest, I didn't like how the main rule book (I have the black hard-cover) was written: things, in my opinion where written worse than any WoD book ever had been (including Page XX). However, with the rules jumping and the character generation a little discombobulated aside (and not talking about the subsequent fluff books), the "Check Digit" was a fantastic change!

Regardless of how well you rolled, the CD determined how well you did! And everyone had a chance to succeed instead of having to say "I need all d10 in a 10' radius to hit". It gave people a hope in Hell (pardon the expression ;) ) to succeed ... and succeed very well! And it also gave the people with the proper skills to succeed a chance to fail ... and fail hard-core (Go Furfur!).

I realize that there is a mathematical equation to the number of d10 to the amount of 1's to roll (for those unfamiliar with the WoD system: 1's take away successes over a certain difficulty), and that there is a like-amount of a mathematical equation for a d666 system. My point is that everyone was on rather equal footing with 3d6; from servitor to Captains to Word-Bound. One didn't have to be rightfully intimidated by the number of dice in one's hand.

Now, mind you this can be traced back to the One-Who-Runs-The-Game and alter how they see fit. It is up to them to set the pace with the help of the players.

Alright. Seriously.
/rambling :D

PS: The ::;) Seraphim joke was awesome. I'm glad that someone else had done it and not just me (the weird looks I got from people vastly out number the ones who understood it).
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #22
BillionSix

I should also point out that the "independent check digit" only applies at most normal hew-mon levels. When you get up into the ridiculously high stat and skill combos that celestials get into that changes. Remember that any time the stat plus skill is higher than 12, the overflow is added to the check digit.

Brian
Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone View Post
To be honest, I didn't like how the main rule book (I have the black hard-cover) was written
One of the best things about the PDF version of the rulebook -- aside from some of the errata being fixed -- is that you can search for stuff by keyword. So much less cursing whoever decided to put all the Song mechanics on the page with Mr. Bubblehead, and the rest of the Songs in the Songs section...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #24
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
One of the best things about the PDF version of the rulebook -- aside from some of the errata being fixed -- is that you can search for stuff by keyword. So much less cursing whoever decided to put all the Song mechanics on the page with Mr. Bubblehead, and the rest of the Songs in the Songs section...
Mr. Bubblehead! I love it! I will never quite see that celestial in the same way again...

Frankly, he strikes me as an old servant of Vephar, possibly a Shedite. Hmmm ... (Wanders off, musing on a "Create the character that matches the art" thread.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionSix View Post
I should also point out that the "independent check digit" only applies at most normal hew-mon levels. When you get up into the ridiculously high stat and skill combos that celestials get into that changes. Remember that any time the stat plus skill is higher than 12, the overflow is added to the check digit.

Brian
Really?
Alright, I call 'ignorance' on that one, as I had no idea about it. You learn something new every day! Although I have my fair share of the IN books, and I've tried so desperately hard to read the core rule book, I have neither played nor successfully run a game (not through my inability to try, but the inability of the players to try something new), so I guess I never ran into that rule.

Edit: After opening the book and looking under the rules for rolling the dice, I wish to say that I was wrong and that I did read that rule. Unfortunately because I have neither run or had the ability to be a part of a game, these rules did not stick in my head as much as others.

Thanks, 'BillionSix' Brian!

Last edited by Zone; 09-14-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
BillionSix

Quote:
Really?
Alright, I call 'ignorance' on that one, as I had no idea about it. You learn something new every day! Although I have my fair share of the IN books, and I've tried so desperately hard to read the core rule book, I have neither played nor successfully run a game (not through my inability to try, but the inability of the players to try something new), so I guess I never ran into that rule.

Edit: After opening the book and looking under the rules for rolling the dice, I wish to say that I was wrong and that I did read that rule. Unfortunately because I have neither run or had the ability to be a part of a game, these rules did not stick in my head as much as others.

Thanks, 'BillionSix' Brian!
No problem.

True story: Years ago, a friend made a character that never actually saw play, as the campaign never happened. Basically decided he wanted to munchkin the hell out of his character in one area. Shooting.
Basically, he had a Precision of 12, and Ranged Weapons (pistols) of 6. He also had a talisman, a pistol which added +6 to all Ranged Weapons (pistols) rolls. Which, when you crunch the numbers, means that his shots always hit except on an intervention, with a minimum check digit of 13!
As a little bit of style, the gun had a simple inscription on the end of the barrel, right over the hole, that simply said, "NO"

Brian
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #27
tHEhERETIC

Quote:

Brian
A rule which I gleefully ignore. Can't have PC's getting cocky on me. :::)
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #28
Zone

Well, I was thinking about that last night: There has to still be a margin of failure. Alright, AA's and Princes may not fail that much, but they still fail. No matter how awesome someone is, they still need that measure, that possibility of failure.

Or perhaps they 'automatically succeed', but you need to roll anyway just in case those triple 1's / 6's pop up! No matter how good they may be, Divine or Infernal Intervention is always right around the corner. Lucifer enjoys a good coffee as much as the next Fallen, you know.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #29
BillionSix

Quote:
Well, I was thinking about that last night: There has to still be a margin of failure. Alright, AA's and Princes may not fail that much, but they still fail. No matter how awesome someone is, they still need that measure, that possibility of failure.

Or perhaps they 'automatically succeed', but you need to roll anyway just in case those triple 1's / 6's pop up! No matter how good they may be, Divine or Infernal Intervention is always right around the corner. Lucifer enjoys a good coffee as much as the next Fallen, you know.
That's pretty much a given. Archangels and Demon Princes might fail on occasion, but since they are in the "Force of Nature" category and beyond die rolls, it's kind of a moot point. They don't have stats, they give stats, so to speak.
Celestials with a total target number of 12 or higher still rolls, in order to get the check digit and check for intervention.
Will they almost always succeed at their rolls? Of course! Otherwise there would be no point in racking up points in your favorite stats. To be awesome! This just means they can try more ridiculous things. And when they do, you can assign penalties, and they can still fail.

Brian
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #30
Zone

Quote:
That's pretty much a given. Archangels and Demon Princes might fail on occasion, but since they are in the "Force of Nature" category and beyond die rolls, it's kind of a moot point. They don't have stats, they give stats, so to speak.
Celestials with a total target number of 12 or higher still rolls, in order to get the check digit and check for intervention.
Will they almost always succeed at their rolls? Of course! Otherwise there would be no point in racking up points in your favorite stats. To be awesome! This just means they can try more ridiculous things. And when they do, you can assign penalties, and they can still fail.

Brian
Good point. Noted and remembered. :D

Tags
meta