Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #31
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
On the tangential sub-thread about "Dungeon Fantasy: The Compilation So Far!", I have a couple questions for y'all who keep saying you want it: What price do you expect it to be? And how many units do you expect they'll sell at that price?
it obviously depends on the format.
I'm willing to pay $50 for a PoD quality 256 page softcover. That is, I'm willing to pay more than current price of a hardcover, given that it will have a small print run. Of course, currently, that would not cover the whole DF line... not unless there was some massive space savings due to putting everything together.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #32
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Main advantage of this, is that it is quite risk free for SJG. If it doesn't generate enough interest, then no harm done, other than having a failed kickstarter campaign...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I have a couple questions for y'all who keep saying you want it: What price do you expect it to be? And how many units do you expect they'll sell at that price?
Well, assuming they have the man hours to actually produce it - there is only a small team and most are likely working on other projects currently. Plus, it actually has to be a viable investment, to the kickstarter would have to cover the costs of production plus the potential profit margin each pledger would have generated if they had bought the compilation after the fact.

Otherwise they'll have a useful new book but diminished revenue actually generated by it as the main target audience have already obtained copies through the kickstarter event (assuming they do it that way, although as that seems the be the standard for this sort of project it would be highly usual if they didn't).

As for how much I'd pay? I dunno, it would be handy to have them all together, but I have almost all of them already. So it would very much depend on if I see it as cost effective for me as the customer to have a more concise compilation. Having a consistent format for each profession (read: expanding the Power-Ups for those missing them etc) and bringing the Pyramid professions into the fold would help a lot... but that's new content in addition to recomposing the old content. Which may not actually be at all covered by such a project.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #33
PK

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy: Print compilation?

Okay, I moved all of these posts out of the DF15 thread. Please, continue to discuss!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
Nymdok

As GURPS has encouraged me to make my peace with E-Books, I dont know that I would buy a dead tree version, but I can see some merit in compiling the lot of it together. I dont know if anyone ever planned to see 15 volumes of DF but it appears to be doing well and the books keep coming. While that is great news, there has been a bit of digital sprawling of the rules.

Re indexing it, although apeal for print, doesnt really interest me. My PDF reader will search the doc for me (HUGE E-vantage). Having them all in one PDF so I can just search the one for what Im looking for, THATS convenient.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #35
Dammann

I agree with Nymdok. I have come to love my PDFs. I'd buy the print version, mostly as I'm more comfortable loaning out a printed book, but having everything compiled would be very convenient.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
As GURPS has encouraged me to make my peace with E-Books, I dont know that I would buy a dead tree version, but I can see some merit in compiling the lot of it together. I dont know if anyone ever planned to see 15 volumes of DF but it appears to be doing well and the books keep coming. While that is great news, there has been a bit of digital sprawling of the rules.

Re indexing it, although apeal for print, doesnt really interest me. My PDF reader will search the doc for me (HUGE E-vantage). Having them all in one PDF so I can just search the one for what Im looking for, THATS convenient.

Nymdok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I agree with Nymdok. I have come to love my PDFs. I'd buy the print version, mostly as I'm more comfortable loaning out a printed book, but having everything compiled would be very convenient.
You can easily build a franken-PDF using PDFSaM. I've done that, for exactly that reason (being able to search it all at once). It's easy, and it's all Free software
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
Anaraxes

Many PDF readers will search through all the PDF files in a directory (etc), not just one at a time. Both Adobe Reader X and Foxit Reader can do so. You don't have to merge the files before searching.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #38
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
it obviously depends on the format.
I'm willing to pay $50 for a PoD quality 256 page softcover. That is, I'm willing to pay more than current price of a hardcover, given that it will have a small print run. Of course, currently, that would not cover the whole DF line... not unless there was some massive space savings due to putting everything together.
Me, I'd like two DF products: A box set and a big fat compilation book. Call it the Dungeon Fantasy Cyclopedia or something...
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #39
b-dog

If there was a compilation I would like there to be some notes on how to keep low point characters on track with their classes. If PCs start out as say a 62 point wizard the how to keep them wizards as they gain points. Otherwise PCs will just end up a jumble of many different classes instead of staying in one class. Maybe there could be a point limit on the amount of off-class skills and powers a PC can have?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #40
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
If there was a compilation I would like there to be some notes on how to keep low point characters on track with their classes. If PCs start out as say a 62 point wizard the how to keep them wizards as they gain points. Otherwise PCs will just end up a jumble of many different classes instead of staying in one class. Maybe there could be a point limit on the amount of off-class skills and powers a PC can have?
Isn't that already in DF? By default, you can only improve by selecting options from your template or available as a Power-Up for your template.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pod