Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
And relaunching the ENTIRE line of DF, redone as Fifth Edition, would be a massive buy-in for people just starting to purchase 5E products. They'd probably put them out piece-meal again, all revamped for 5E, and we'd be having the same discussion about a compilation... again. :-)
In the hypothetical event of 5E I think quite a few things that were introduced in Dungeon Fantasy/Action!/Monster Hunters would be in the Basic set. Notably the No I in teamwork/Complimentary skills rules, Pulling Rank, and Wilcard/Destiny points.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I feel that I must add one clarification: Were we ever to do this, it would not go over well here at SJ Games merely to chuck the PDFs into a single cover and call it a day. That kind of compilation – if you could even call it a compilation – has been ruled out at the highest level. It will not happen.

Rather, it would be a completely re-edited compilation with all the templates in one place, all the gear in another place, duplication and contradiction laboriously edited out, page references redone (especially the ones that refer across volumes), etc. That would be a lot of work . . . which is a large part of why it has never been given a green light.

But I say again that avoiding that work and just slapping stuff into a cover will never happen. It's company policy that we take more pride in our work than that.
I would not consider buying a compilation unless it were organized as you shaved said above. There would need to be a magic system for DF that better fits the genre as well.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
(. . .) There would need to be a magic system for DF that better fits the genre as well.
Um. I remember that one of the initial purposes of the Dungeon Fantasy line was demonstrating that GURPS is able to handle this particular genre.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post

Um. I remember that one of the initial purposes of the Dungeon Fantasy line was demonstrating that GURPS is able to handle this particular genre.
Yep. There's no way in Hades that we would invent new stuff for a compilation, least of all new stuff that actively doesn't sell GURPS Magic.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #25
dcarson

It might make sense as a Kickstarter project at some point. Doing it right takes a unreasonable amount of money so Kickstarter lets you see how many unreasonable people there are that are interested.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #26
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Rather, it would be a completely re-edited compilation with all the templates in one place, all the gear in another place, duplication and contradiction laboriously edited out, page references redone (especially the ones that refer across volumes), etc.
Speaking for myself, I would be very happy to buy such a compilation. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy continues to grow (hooray!) and could do with some reorganization.

I suppose that it would have to be GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 2nd edition, with all new DF products using it for page references.

DF 15 Henchman is a perfect example of why this would be great. The book is terrific as a source for allies and hirelings, but it is also really useful for anyone thinking about playing low-level PCs (or growing their PC up from low-level).
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #27
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
It might make sense as a Kickstarter project at some point. Doing it right takes a unreasonable amount of money so Kickstarter lets you see how many unreasonable people there are that are interested.
See, this is one of the better GURPS related kickstarter suggestions I've seen. It's not funding an author to write an unknown manuscript - which produces an unknown quality item after an unknown period of time, it's working with existing material that's already survived on the market and therefore is of known quality, and taking it through a process SJG has done before (compilation).
Kickstarter projects with well estimated costs and well-bounded timelines are more successful, to be sure.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #28
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
See, this is one of the better GURPS related kickstarter suggestions I've seen. It's not funding an author to write an unknown manuscript - which produces an unknown quality item after an unknown period of time, it's working with existing material that's already survived on the market and therefore is of known quality, and taking it through a process SJG has done before (compilation).
Kickstarter projects with well estimated costs and well-bounded timelines are more successful, to be sure.
Oh god, yes!

I would pledge instantly for this. Specially if it was for a physical (POD) copy.
I can even see a stretch goal for a hardcover run. Main advantage of this, is that it is quite risk free for SJG. If it doesn't generate enough interest, then no harm done, other than having a failed kickstarter campaign...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #29
Sunrunners_Fire

On the tangential sub-thread about "Dungeon Fantasy: The Compilation So Far!", I have a couple questions for y'all who keep saying you want it: What price do you expect it to be? And how many units do you expect they'll sell at that price?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #30
RyanW

Incidentally, has anyone taken a look at the combination of DF 7+15?

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pod