Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
aaron819

Default Printing Through Lulu

Lulu is a print on demand service that allows publishers to sell physical copies of their books. If I were to upload my copies of GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders and After the End 2: The New World, but opt not to put them on the marketplace and instead have one copy of each sent to me for personal use, would that be legal? I know that we have the right to print one copy of our PDF's from Warehouse 23, but based on the purpose of the site I would potentially be using I figured the best course of action would be to ask here first.
aaron819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
mook

Default Re: Printing Through Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron819 View Post
Lulu is a print on demand service that allows publishers to sell physical copies of their books. If I were to upload my copies of GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders and After the End 2: The New World, but opt not to put them on the marketplace and instead have one copy of each sent to me for personal use, would that be legal? I know that we have the right to print one copy of our PDF's from Warehouse 23, but based on the purpose of the site I would potentially be using I figured the best course of action would be to ask here first.
Hiya, aaron819,

As you noted, we have explicit permission to make a single hardcopy of any purchased PDF. The exact mechanism we choose to accomplish this would seem to be irrelevant. Myself and many others have done just that.

Good luck! Lulu can occasionally be a bit fiddly getting the PDF specs exactly right, but when it works, I quite like the end result.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I printed 4 compilation volumes through Lulu. There are some issues and stumbling blocks, but overall I was and still am pleased with the quality of the books and the pricing isn't bad - especially if you use one of the (many) coupons they are constantly advertising. Currently they have a 15% off Print Books coupon using code LULU15 which is good until Oct 2. They had a 25% coupon a week ago and free shipping coupon at the beginning of Sep. So I suggest you sign up to their mailing list and wait for a good coupon (lately, the 25% has been about the best they've offered.

We've had several discussion threads on Lulu. In one of them I discovered that more recently Lulu has an issue with some GURPS books and was able to suggest a way to fix it.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
As you noted, we have explicit permission to make a single hardcopy of any purchased PDF. The exact mechanism we choose to accomplish this would seem to be irrelevant. Myself and many others have done just that.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but Bookbaby.com (which does 8x10, apparently a format that Lulu does not do) is giving me a hard time about this. Do you know where I can find the information allowing us to print a single hardcopy? My DFRPG softcover books are wearing out, and I wanted to create a single hardcover copy of a "Player's Handbook" for my own purposes (Adventurers, Exploits, and Spells). But www.bookbaby.com thinks its copyright infringement even though I own the physical books and PDFs. Any ideas?
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but Bookbaby.com (which does 8x10, apparently a format that Lulu does not do) is giving me a hard time about this. Do you know where I can find the information allowing us to print a single hardcopy?
I had to look for this because it is not, annoyingly, in the current Warehouse 23 FAQ linked on the Warehouse 23 page from the Info button.

It is, however, in the Digital Downloads section linked from that Info button. (go to Warehouse23.com, click Info on the top, then Digital Downloads on the left).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Downloads
Q. Can I have a copy shop print up a copy of a file I bought?

A. Yes, you can have one copy printed for personal use, whether at home or through a copy shop. If the copy shop needs proof that you have permission, you can point them at this page, or write us at orders@warehouse23.com for official permission.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 03-10-2020 at 05:26 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lulu, pod