Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: Price of Aluminum of Yrth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Except that Kromm has ruled on this, you make the axe head out of something valuable enough and it counts as part of the Staff.
You might want to provide a link.
Quote:
Heck there's no actual rule that says the Staff actually has to be elongated, it could be a 2 yard sphere as far as the rules care
Item: any rod-shaped piece of organic material.

Anything that changes its shape to no longer behave like a rod is functional, not decorative, and thus not allowed.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-17-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #42
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Except that Kromm has ruled on this, you make the axe head out of something valuable enough and it counts as part of the Staff.
Are you sure Kromm wasn't talking about a DF Power Item? Valuable is important to them but not for Staffs from Magic. Even Powerstones don't _have_ to be expensive if you have a little extra energy.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #43
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You might want to provide a link.
It was several years ago, so finding it might prove a bit of a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Are you sure Kromm wasn't talking about a DF Power Item? Valuable is important to them but not for Staffs from Magic. Even Powerstones don't _have_ to be expensive if you have a little extra energy.
This one was a bit more recent, but it was Powerstones, not Power Items (which are actually Mana Stones) and he specifically said you can put one at either end of a Staff and they'll recharge, it's actually a pretty good idea, you might not be able to put in as much energy, but it recharges twice as fast
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #44
Fred Brackin

Quote:

This one was a bit more recent, but it was Powerstones, not Power Items (which are actually Mana Stones) and he specifically said you can put one at either end of a Staff and they'll recharge, it's actually a pretty good idea, you might not be able to put in as much energy, but it recharges twice as fast
That's the old "two powerstones exactly 6 feet apart" idea. That goes back almost 30 years. It's nothing to do with axe heads on rod-shaped items.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #45
Anthony

Quote:
Yes, but absent being able to read the actual words we have no idea if your paraphrase is correct.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #46
Bruno

Quote:
Google "site:forums.sjgames.com" and as many interesting words from the thread as you can remember ex "site:forums.sjgames.com kromm powerstone axe expensive". It doesn't matter how old it is, SJG keeps the entire history of the forum online, and Google has indexed it all.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #47
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The part that says it has to be a rod is the part that says it has to be a rod. A sphere is not a rod. An axe is not a rod.
I'm willing to say that even a spear is not suitable, but is a javelin a rod? Would a purely wooden/bone/amber javelin work? Does amber count as formerly living?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #48
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I'm willing to say that even a spear is not suitable, but is a javelin a rod? Would a purely wooden/bone/amber javelin work? Does amber count as formerly living?
A spear or javelin made entirely from wood with a sharpened end is a definite "maybe". "Rods" are normally blunt-ended but it's the smallest deviation suggested yet. You might be going from Thrust +2 Cr to Thrust +1 Imp though.

You could turn it into Essential Wood after you sharpen it. That would make it 3x as tough.

Amber? I'm not sure. It's more of an organic product than organic tissue itself and I'm not sure about its' fossilization process.

Regular fossils wouldn't count as "formally living" IMHO due to the molecule by molecule substitution that takes place. There you end up with a rock that's _shaped_ like a formerly living object.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #49
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I personally would let Staff work on pointy sticks, but remember enchantments are lost when the item is broken, and pointy sticks don't stay pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Regular fossils wouldn't count as "formally living" IMHO due to the molecule by molecule substitution that takes place. There you end up with a rock that's _shaped_ like a formerly living object.
Labdanes are organic, so I think amber is legitimate. It also is a terrible thing to make a weapon out of.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Labdanes are organic, so I think amber is legitimate. It also is a terrible thing to make a weapon out of.
I think the Klaxxi from World Of Warcraft may like to have a word with you about that. Amber is their food, currency, weapons, etc. it seems.

With magic, all things are possible.

Tags
yrth