Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #611
Astromancer

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Over a century and nobody built flying warships? That might be the one unbelievable thing about this world. Someone will *always* take the newest thing and try to make a weapon out of it.

Just how long was it from Kittyhawk to the Red Baron? Less than twenty years.
It was matter of expense and figuring out how to steer. Besides, weird parallels aren't meant to be as well described.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #612
Flyndaran
Untagged

So a hidden reason for why humans aren't within orders of magnitude as violent as they are in the real world / Homeline?
Now that does make for a weird parallel.

Whenever anything new is invented, humans will find ways to use it for killing, sex, and controlling others.

Worlds with a technology that isn't used such but is in our world would make me highly suspicious setting foot in them. Exactly what a GM would want to make it weird, I guess.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #613
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
So a hidden reason for why humans aren't within orders of magnitude as violent as they are in the real world / Homeline?
Now that does make for a weird parallel.

Whenever anything new is invented, humans will find ways to use it for killing, sex, and controlling others.

Worlds with a technology that isn't used such but is in our world would make me highly suspicious setting foot in them. Exactly what a GM would want to make it weird, I guess.
I think that it is more that technology is used for killing, sex, or controlling others. If you look at birth control, it is a technology that facilitates sex or controlling others. If you look at firearms, it is a technology that facilitates killing or controlling other.

Patriarchal cultures tend to focus on killing while egalitarian cultures tend to focus on sex. Either type of culture seems to desire control (for the purpose of expansion in the case of patriarchal cultures and for the purpose of protection in the case of egalitarian cultures). Of course, these are broad generalizations, as Tokugawa Japan was very patriarchal but focused on protection (and possessed a somewhat liberated view of sex) while the USA is leaning egalitarian but focuses on expansion (and possesses the highest murder rate of any developed country).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #614
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Yes, soft serve ice cream is a terrible weapon of war, an aphrodisiac, and a viscous tool of totalitarianism.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #615
PTTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, soft serve ice cream is a terrible weapon of war, an aphrodisiac, and a viscous tool of totalitarianism.
I mean these are all literally true. It can also be said to produce a chilling effect when introduced to political discourse.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #616
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
One could see its commonality as a minor offshoot of refrigeration and air blowing technology. Those probably have some uses in war, and cultural control, but I'd rather not imagine their use for sex.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #617
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
One could see its commonality as a minor offshoot of refrigeration and air blowing technology. Those probably have some uses in war, and cultural control, but I'd rather not imagine their use for sex.
Sure, but if you extend any technology out to the extent that it intersects one of those spheres, of course it supports this thesis. That's a bit of goalpost moving I think. Eventually all technology is a subset of the core human technologies of symbolic language, culture, and tool use, and that includes those with obvious reproductive, military, or organizational applications but it also includes lots of things that I think it's a stretch to include.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #618
Flyndaran
Untagged

I responded to your silly post with a silly post of my own.
I doubt anyone could read my post as saying that all inventions, bar none, are used for sex, warfare, or social control.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #619
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I responded to your silly post with a silly post of my own.
I doubt anyone could read my post as saying that all inventions, bar none, are used for sex, warfare, or social control.
AlexanderHowl's statement was more definitive than yours.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #620
AlexanderHowl

Since I have used soft serve to seal the deal on a number of dates, it can be used for sex.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds