Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: Shooting a Rope Houserule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Shooting a rope is really hard, and I don't think that it is long actually matters much. For stabbing a rope you can usually stack up to +11 in modifiers in regular GURPS, so it might be worth allowing noncombat melee "attacks" in DFRPG to claim a +10.
Of course it is. That's the point with this rule.

But now I see the point I think Anthony was trying to make. If we shorten the rope, we will eventually come to the point when the rule no longer applies and then it would be easier to hit the rope, even though there is less rope to hit.
Dragondog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Which basically says that a rope is Unliving or Homogenous which I think we all guessed.
It's actually mostly about blowthrough -- the bullet creates a bullet-width path through the rope, so if the rope is wider than the bullet, some rope is left behind. A larger caliber projectile would do better even if significantly slower; an arrow with a reasonably large head might be wide enough to cut the entire rope with a single hit.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Of course it is. That's the point with this rule.
It won't be hard enough if you give a huge bonus to compensate, especially if you calibrate it to human proportions and SM 0.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It won't be hard enough if you give a huge bonus to compensate, especially if you calibrate it to human proportions and SM 0.
That's a generic issue with the SM system; there should not be a 'rope exception'.

Realistically, a 2" rope is easier to hit than a 2" sphere, because for the rope there is one direction in which scatter matters, for the sphere there are two directions. This should probably be worth about a +2 to hit. Thus, given that hitting a 2" sphere is at -7, the rope should be at -5. If this is a problem, complain about how easy it is to hit the 2" sphere, not how hard it is to hit the rope (obviously, 2" is pretty thick for rope, but that was the OP).
Old 09-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
...2" is pretty thick for rope...
Depends on application, and TL. When my Dad took me by the fire boats for L.A. harbor, 3" rope was standard for mooring to the dock, and they had 4" rope as well. Pre-inexpensive chain production eras there will be a lot more thicker rope use. Natural hemp type rope also tends to be thicker than synthetic rope for the same weight rating.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #16
tbone

FWIW, my old house rules on this topic (going far back into 3e days):

Target shape and TH

Any attack must be "on target" in two dimensions, length and width (as seen from the perpendicular to the attack). The default GURPS attack simply uses the SM of the longer dimension, which generally works fine. But some situations are worth extra consideration, especially that of one dimension greatly longer than the other:

Difference in SM (SM of longer dimension - SM of shorter dimension)

0 or 1: The object is a square, circle, or other "chunky" shape. Base TH on the SM of the longer dimension, and add +1.
This may apply to many inanimate objects (wheels, boxes, turrets, boxy vehicles, etc.), and even Hulk-like wide humanoids.

2 or 3: The object is clearly longer in one dimension, but not excessively so. Base TH on the SM of the longer dimension.
This covers most typical combat foes, especially humanoids, and represents the standard GURPS combat TH modifier vs typical targets.

4 or more: The object is decidedly tall and thin, or long and narrow. Depending on how the attack approaches the object, it should be able to enjoy the longer dimension as its target (but with a slight penalty for less tolerance in the other dimension), or it should have to face the shorter dimension as its target (but with a bonus for the extra leeway in the other direction).
It generally means this:
Thrusts and missile attacks: Base TH on the SM of the shorter dimension, and add +2.
Swing attacks: Base TH on the SM of the longer dimension, plus an extra -1.

Example: There's a 1-yard long (SM -2), 1" wide (SM -11) stick poking out of the ground. You must destroy it because [reasons].

Shoot it with an arrow: SM -11 for impossible width, +2 for that generous length, = -9 TH.

Chop it through the middle with your sword: SM -2 for length, -1 for being so darned skinny, = -3 TH.

Split it lengthwise with your sword: Trick question! Your target is no longer a yard of stick; it's the circular end of the stick, 1" wide in each dimension. That's SM -11 for impossible width, but +1 for being equally wide in both dimensions, = -10 TH.

That's that. There are some notes that go with all the above, but I'll spare readers for now.
Twitter: @Gamesdiner
(Latest goods on the site: New Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) perks for GURPS)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
Taliesin

Wow. All this in a DFRPG thread. I think this might have a place in GURPS thread but not here.

Tags
dfrpg, houserules, size modifier