Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Tirisilex
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Is there a Specific rule?

I'm just wondering if there is a specific rule about posting about movies and using those movies as inspiration for GURPS setting? I'm asking because on the Palladium Forums they dont allow you to talk about specific movies as inspiration for games or movie characters as characters.. Like for example I have the game Dead Reign and I wanted to use Resident Evil as my inspiration for a setting.. I was threatened to have my post deleted because of it. Is it like that here?
Tirisilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Is there a Specific rule?

You can definitely talk about adapting media for GURPS, in fact there's a book about it: GURPS Adaptations.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Is there a Specific rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
... I was threatened to have my post deleted because of it. Is it like that here?
No.

In fact, by my reading of the rules, there's a rule against threatening to have a post deleted - we aren't supposed to pretend to be forum moderators. (A mod will simply delete the post, not threaten to do so.)
__________________
Rob Kelk
Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Is there a Specific rule?

There is sort of an unwritten rule against posting GURPS adaptations of Palladium materials, because Palladium is famously paranoid about combinations of their material with that of any other company's.

There are also rules against posting or linking to material that violates trademark or copyright. There's a "GURPS Ghostbusters" book that gets mentioned here from time to time that is a perfect example of how to violate both.
__________________
RyanW
For sale: Turing test cheat sheets
Check out my GURPS (et al) wiki, Sweetcandle. Latest addition: Avatar style bending in Fate Core
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Is there a Specific rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
I'm just wondering if there is a specific rule about posting about movies and using those movies as inspiration for GURPS setting?
Definitely not. And as Sir_Pudding already pointed out, we have an entire book to help you with that.

Quote:
I'm asking because on the Palladium Forums they dont allow you to talk about specific movies as inspiration for games or movie characters as characters.
I think you'll find that that's a quirk of Palladium. Most other RPG publishers, including us, are happy to talk about adapting existing fiction. In the very rare case that the owners of a specific property were to have an issue with it, we'd honor their requests, but that doesn't really happen. In fact, RyanW was right that the only thing we do ask people not to post here are conversions of Palladium products, for reasons that you're already aware of. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
There are also rules against posting or linking to material that violates trademark or copyright. There's a "GURPS Ghostbusters" book that gets mentioned here from time to time that is a perfect example of how to violate both.
Right, but let me clarify that "GURPS Ghostbusters" would have been completely fine as a fanbook if it were original content comprising guidelines for using GURPS to adapt the Ghostbusters movies and setting. Our online policy (worth reading!) explicitly allows fans to create free original content, with just a few simple caveats.

The trouble with "GURPS Ghostbusters" is that nearly the entire book was cut-and-pasted directly from existing RPG books! Whole sections of GURPS Horror, GURPS All-Star Jam, and other GURPS books were lifted -- but that was secondary to the fact that virtually all of WEG's original Ghostbusters RPG text was copy-pasted into the book. And on top of that, the author broke our "please don't copy our trade dress or otherwise mislead people into thinking your book is an official SJ Games product" rule -- which had led to people blaming us for the blatant copyright infringement.

Basically, we just ask that you don't post big chunks of copyrighted text here, or incorporate copyrighted text into your own fan works. There's a bit more to the online policy, but that's the only rule which makes us mad if broken; anything else is more of a "lets give 'em a heads up here" situation.
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Is there a Specific rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
The trouble with "GURPS Ghostbusters" is that nearly the entire book was cut-and-pasted directly from existing RPG books! Whole sections of GURPS Horror, GURPS All-Star Jam, and other GURPS books were lifted -- but that was secondary to the fact that virtually all of WEG's original Ghostbusters RPG text was copy-pasted into the book. And on top of that, the author broke our "please don't copy our trade dress or otherwise mislead people into thinking your book is an official SJ Games product" rule -- which had led to people blaming us for the blatant copyright infringement.
Plus actual explicit false attribution, IIRC.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
Also, GURPS Discord is a nice place for (faster) Q&A and overall GURPS dicussion.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 AM   #7
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Is there a Specific rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Plus actual explicit false attribution, IIRC.
I believe they put the name of an established writer on the cover, as if that would fool anyone.
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Grand Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.