Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Crzyraccoon

Default Modern tech swords

Swords are commonly used in low tech settings (TL1-4) and some ultra tech settings (TL9-12) have laser swords or plasma blades (Star wars, phantasy star online, Metal gear rising), put what are swords like in both a realistic and fictional sense in modern tech (TL7-8) escpecally in TL8, how would they be made? With modern material and engineer, how effective would they be? How superior would they be compare to low tech swords, and what different types would they be? If there is any resources of modern swords I would like a link.
Crzyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
PTTG

Default Re: Modern tech swords

High-tech has rules for modern replicas of weapons from earlier TLs. To paraphrase: x1/2 the cost, 2x the DR/HP, and x1/2 the weight. Pick two, plus get "stainless" for free.

HOWEVER. This doesn't cover weapons built in a hypothetical TL4+4 setting where gunpowder wasn't invented (or something). It's possible that there'd be some special and interesting alternative weapons...
PTTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Nyarli

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
High-tech has rules for modern replicas of weapons from earlier TLs. To paraphrase: x1/2 the cost, 2x the DR/HP, and x1/2 the weight. Pick two, plus get "stainless" for free.

HOWEVER. This doesn't cover weapons built in a hypothetical TL4+4 setting where gunpowder wasn't invented (or something). It's possible that there'd be some special and interesting alternative weapons...
This does not apply to weapons, only to armor (and not compatible with armor from Low-Tech book). Instead rules in both Basic set and High-tech provides this: at TL7+ listed price is for fine veapon (+1 damage) or for stainless wweapon (not both). Very fine (non-stainless) is +3 CF instead of +19. Ceramic is triple cost, half weight, unmodified damage, always treated as cheap for breakage purposes. Titanium is double cost, 2/3 weight unmodified damage always treated as very fine for breakage purposes.

And TL4+4 would have gunpoweder by default (unless specifically stated that propellant technology is not even up to TL4 standards)

Last edited by Nyarli; 11-18-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Nyarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyraccoon View Post
what are swords like in both a realistic and fictional sense in modern tech (TL7-8) escpecally in TL8, how would they be made? With modern material and engineer, how effective would they be? How superior would they be compare to low tech swords, and what different types would they be? If there is any resources of modern swords I would like a link.
Per B274, you can get Good, Fine, and Very Fine weapon for a lower price at TL 7+. There's nothing particularly unrealistic about that.

In terms of effectiveness, the short answer is 'not effective enough for anyone to bother making them, at least as weapons'. No conceivable TL 8 sword, wielded with human strength, will penetrate armor that can stop rifle bullets (in fact, this probably should apply upwards -- any tech you can use on a sword can also be used on armor and bullets, so armor that stops TLn military weapons will stop any conceivable TLn sword).
Old 11-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Stainless steel is a terrible material for actual swords (as opposed to pretty wall hanging sword like objects) and should probably be treated as Cheap for purposes of breakage (but not cost). They are easier to maintain as decorations, which is why they are made ("beater" high carbon swords need to be cleaned and oiled on a regular basis).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Stainless steel is a terrible material for actual swords.
Stainless steel is not a single material; a sword made of a modern high carbon stainless steel would probably be perfectly fine.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
DanHoward

I can't think of a sword maker who would recommend any kind of stainless steel for a sword that was intended for anything other than display.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Stainless steel is not a single material; a sword made of a modern high carbon stainless steel would probably be perfectly fine.
I don't know a lot about materials science or metallurgy but I do know a bit about swords. I'm fairly certain that the weapons you are describing here do not exist for any price. Why is that?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
Green-Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I can't think of a sword maker who would recommend any kind of stainless steel for a sword that was intended for anything other than display.
Not even one if the modern brews like s30v?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Neck View Post
Not even one if the modern brews like s30v?
From the specs it seems like it might make a decent sword but I can't think of a single sword maker who would want to work with it.

Tags
high tech, weapons