Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #51
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: fantasy races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
There is if that race has some inborn characteristic that makes it disinclined towards cultural diversity. Humans are stereotypically adaptable, malleable, flexible, so they usually have very clear cultural shifts depending on the context. Dwarves aren't, but that doesn't mean that there won't be differences between a frontier dwarven settlement in the frigid wilderness and dwarves in a more metropolitan environment. There will be constants -- whatever it is that defines dwarves as a race like adaptability defines humans as a race -- but how those constants manifest will still be different. Other races will probably look at frontier dwarves and urban dwarves both, and think "Man, those dwarves", not "man, those hicks / city slickers", because how the hick-dwarves and the city-slicker-dwarves exist in their environments will be manifestations of their common racial traits -- they may be superficially different, but they have the same basis.
Any race can be disinclined to cultural diversity if the author wants that. I'm saying that just because a race isn't human, doesn't mean it automatically has to be monolithic, if the author doesn't want it to be.

I think that humans being stereotyped as varied and adaptable comes from unconsciously comparing us to non-sapient animals, since we have no RW nonhuman races for comparison. It's very difficult to come up with non-human cultural diversity, because a non-human race is most easily based on a stereotyped sub-section of RW human racial diversity. One option is to base some traits of a race's psychology on some non-human animal.

In the fantasy world I started writing, the four main races (including dwarves) were all intended to have a lot of cultural diversity, though I haven't designed any of those cultures yet.

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 05-30-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #52
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
I think that humans being stereotyped as varied and adaptable comes from unconsciously comparing us to non-sapient animals, since we have no RW nonhuman races for comparison.
That and traditional fantasy that has stereotyped fantasy races.

From the neurological point of view we can argue both for and against human adaptability. But the key here is ambient input.

As for non-human races in order to succeed and thrive like humans they'd have to be either adaptable or live in sheltered environments.

The reasons non-human races are pictured as monolithic, for me, are the following:

a) they are not in fact monolithic, but the protagonists are human so we get a skewed view of other races, or lack of information on them
b) the author's attempts to characterize also limit the race's profile, generating stereotypes (creating stereotypes of things we do not understand is a basic human reflex of categorizing and generalizing things, authors are not immune)
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #53
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
The reasons non-human races are pictured as monolithic, for me, are the following:

a) they are not in fact monolithic, but the protagonists are human so we get a skewed view of other races, or lack of information on them
b) the author's attempts to characterize also limit the race's profile, generating stereotypes (creating stereotypes of things we do not understand is a basic human reflex of categorizing and generalizing things, authors are not immune)
I agree. Coming up with a non-human race and giving it interesting, believable, non-human psychology, and then extrapolating racial diversity that is both non-human and various, is just hard. If we shared the planet with 4 other sapient races, I imagine we'd find this sort of thing at least a little bit easier.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #54
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
That and traditional fantasy that has stereotyped fantasy races.

From the neurological point of view we can argue both for and against human adaptability. But the key here is ambient input.

As for non-human races in order to succeed and thrive like humans they'd have to be either adaptable or live in sheltered environments.

I was always curious regarding showing humans as monolithic and stereotypical from the PoV of aliens/fantasy races . . . without making it absurd. Preferably in such a way as to force humans to reply "But! . . But! . . Oh well, I guess we are [insert characterization] indeed."
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #55
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I was always curious regarding showing humans as monolithic and stereotypical from the PoV of aliens/fantasy races . . . without making it absurd. Preferably in such a way as to force humans to reply "But! . . But! . . Oh well, I guess we are [insert characterization] indeed."
That shouldn't be too difficult, since different human groups do the exact same thing: Irish are drunkards; Americans are fat slobs; French are anorexic, chain-smoking elitist snobs; etc.

If you wanted to make a "stereotypical/monolithic" cultural view for humans as a whole, though, I would start with "Parasitic" -- a tendency to expand (territorially and biologically) as far and as quickly as possible and suck up as many resources as possible without giving any thought to sustainability or replenishment. "What would cancer be like if it were a sentient humanoid organism?" seems like a good starting point.

Cheers.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #56
Vaevictis Asmadi

I agree with Landwalker.

In addition, other races might see us a belligerently violent and warlike towards each other and towards non-humans.

In Tekumel, (I'm not familiar with the setting) I think non-humans generally view humans as very dangerous.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #57
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
I agree with Landwalker.

In addition, other races might see us a belligerently violent and warlike towards each other and towards non-humans.

In Tekumel, (I'm not familiar with the setting) I think non-humans generally view humans as very dangerous.
In my one space opera setting, I have a bit of background history where the various human nations were at war with an alien race. When the war made it to the alien home system, they were shocked and somewhat impressed - but not appalled or repulsed - by how willing the human fleets were to fire on each other over the right to fire on the aliens first! They were confused, however, because the humans denied that they were an "aggressive, treacherous, backstabbing" race, even when confronted with the evidence. The aliens accepted that the two races were a lot alike, but that the aliens accepted their nature rather than denying it.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #58
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Meh, I think that's mostly sci-fi authors pining for the future where we ain't gonna war no more. It's possible that there's an alien species that abhors violence I suppose, but I don't think it'd be common.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #59
Vaevictis Asmadi

Another interesting point in this is that the traits a race typically shows to others aren't necessarily the same set of traits they show to each other. Humans can be traders or violent aggressors towards each other or non-humans, but they're less likely to show their altruistic or artistic sides towards non-humans (or towards other, non-allied human groups).
Old 05-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #60
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Just recalled: In Master of Orion 2, humans are considered to have two positive traits and no negative ones. Namely, they're Democratic and Charismatic. Planet of hats, definitely, though not a negative one.

Tags
brainstorm, fantasy, ideas to share, random thought table