Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
tbone

Default More DFRPG questions: Martial Artist abilities

1) If a character has Spider Climb, does that character have any need for Climbing skill?

2) When selecting two maneuvers with Uninterrupted Flurry, is taking two Move maneuvers kosher? (I'd assume so, meaning it can double as Tiger Sprint. For a few seconds every 5 minutes.)

3) Power Investiture (Clerical/Druidic) does not add to Esoteric Medicine (Clerical/Druidic), but Chi Talent does add to Esoteric Medicine (Chi). Do I have that right?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: More DFRPG questions: Martial Artist abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
1) If a character has Spider Climb, does that character have any need for Climbing skill?
By RAW, no. But I'd allow for the ST roll to catch yourself to be a ST based Climbing roll if it was better.

Also, technically Spider Climb doesn't help with climbing ropes or rappelling down a cliff face...

Quote:
2) When selecting two maneuvers with Uninterrupted Flurry, is taking two Move maneuvers kosher? (I'd assume so, meaning it can double as Tiger Sprint. For a few seconds every 5 minutes.)
Yes.

Quote:
3) Power Investiture (Clerical/Druidic) does not add to Esoteric Medicine (Clerical/Druidic), but Chi Talent does add to Esoteric Medicine (Chi). Do I have that right?
Yes.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
By RAW, no. But I'd allow for the ST roll to catch yourself to be a ST based Climbing roll if it was better.
Another edge case would be the rules for Part of the Solution or Part of the Problem (Exploits, p. 6). With at least one point in the skill, you could improve the odds of the full team successfully making a climb.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Another edge case would be the rules for Part of the Solution or Part of the Problem (Exploits, p. 6). With at least one point in the skill, you could improve the odds of the full team successfully making a climb.
Good point; that is an easy-to-overlook situation in which having the skill technically matters. Though to be honest, if a player said "No, I don't have Climbing, but I have this expensive Spider Climb; isn't that at least as good?", I'd have to allow it.

(Actually, I'd simply rule that this PC – who climbs with an advantage, not Climbing skill – isn't part of the group climbing effort. That is, the PC doesn't need to follow a lead climber, but can't act as one either; while everyone else is lugging themselves up the hard way, this PC is off doing his own weird thing, taking paths no one else can use. That's how I'd envision it, anyway.)

Then there's rope work. As evileeyore says, yeah, the advantage would technically appear to leave out rope climbs, so there's a minor use for Climbing. Plus any other miscellaneous cases in which it's uncertain whether some Spider Climb action succeeds, whether the PC is knocked off the wall, etc.; Climbing would seem to be the thing to roll against. ST-based Climbing sounds reasonable, too, for that "halt your fall" roll and the like.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Then there's rope work. As evileeyore says, yeah, the advantage would technically appear to leave out rope climbs, so there's a minor use for Climbing. Plus any other miscellaneous cases in which it's uncertain whether some Spider Climb action succeeds, whether the PC is knocked off the wall, etc.; Climbing would seem to be the thing to roll against. ST-based Climbing sounds reasonable, too, for that "halt your fall" roll and the like.
Indeed, because Chi Talent adds to the ST catch with Spider Climb, I'd even allow for adding Chi Talent to all Climbing rolls if they had Spider Climb and it wasn't being 'turned off' somehow.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Dalin

Quote:
Actually, I'd simply rule that this PC – who climbs with an advantage, not Climbing skill – isn't part of the group climbing effort.
Yeah, I hadn’t thought the example through. This is how I would handle it too.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote