Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: Holy Hunters

I'm happy to see a new Monster Hunters entry this year. Now I have a Christmas present for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
It would be cool to have a Monster Hunters: Dark Ages and Dungeons supplement. It could have real world religions along with treasures and dungeon designs that fit in with a a culture. Like India or Bali with dungeons that make sense there and treasure and monsters that fit the culture there. It could be like World of Darkness Dark Ages but with more monsters and treasure.
MH: Dark Ages and Dungeons would be so awesome! I have no need for Bali though, but I might find some use for India.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #12
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Like India or Bali with dungeons that make sense there and treasure and monsters that fit the culture there.
I would love this too, though Bali is such a rich source of inspiration for gaming that you hardly need to do more research than just find pictures online. Twenty-some years ago I spent some time on Bali and took a lot of photos. I still use some of them as props for adventures. I stayed in a hostel close to the "monkey forest" and walked there almost every day; it was incredible.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I would love this too, though Bali is such a rich source of inspiration for gaming that you hardly need to do more research than just find pictures online. Twenty-some years ago I spent some time on Bali and took a lot of photos. I still use some of them as props for adventures. I stayed in a hostel close to the "monkey forest" and walked there almost every day; it was incredible.
What I like about DF are the templates and you know what to do, look for treasure and adventure and fight monsters. But what I like about exotic settings is that they are different than the Tolkien setting. If the adventurers travel to mythic India then there may be no elves or gnomes or halflings of standard dungeon delving and also there might be no orcs or trolls too. The player races and monsters would fit the setting and the magic and supernatural rules would be different too. I would really like that. Gaming to me is escapism and I enjoy escaping from the Lord of the Rings setting.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #14
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
MH: Dark Ages and Dungeons would be so awesome! I have no need for Bali though, but I might find some use for India.
Seeing "dungeons" and "India" in the same sentence, I'll take the opportunity to note a recent movie I just saw, Tumbbad.

It's a near-modern tale of greed and downfall, and also a flat-out dungeon delve pic. Not as much as it could be – there's a great dungeon-y structure at the center, but only one room, and one monster, get the focus. (With a bonus monster in the first half.) Still, any gamer will instantly appreciate the action: gear up, delve into creepy room, set the magical protections, trick the monster, get the treasure, get out just in time... and repeat, as long as there's more gold to be had (the creed of any true dungeon delver!).

To that, add really creepy mythology and Indian twists to the magic and monsters. Anyone who appreciates the Hinduism content in Holy Hunters (and hopes to someday see GURPS: India) would probably enjoy it. Check your favorite streaming services.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #15
bert

I hope we will see more supplements from PK. They are always very good.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #16
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Really enjoyed this. Well-written and I think does a good job of handling some real-world political hot-topics in a way which is unlikely to offend without falling into the trap of whitewashing everything to the point of dullness.

Would love to see a more in-depth real-world religion book from a general gaming perspective, or possibly even a series. Might be hard to get authors who know enough about anything other than Christianity, Judaism, and Neo-Paganism though.

The miracles are fairly bland, but serviceable.

Monsters are generally useful, although the MH ones tend to be a bit on the tough side for other genres.

Tags
holy hunters, monster hunters