Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
Tywyll

Default Dragon Skin Armor

If a player skinned a dragon and got enough to make armor out of it (4 hex dragon) and had it made into wearable armor, what stats would you give it?

I was thinking 3 point leather armor that maybe gave 1/2 damage from fire.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Dragon Skin Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
If a player skinned a dragon and got enough to make armor out of it (4 hex dragon) and had it made into wearable armor, what stats would you give it?

Ok, but it'd be heavy, perhaps like chainmail so would still give -3DX I think. The fireproofing seems reasonable. But perhaps dragons and their kin can smell it and they won't like that you've killed one of their own....
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post

My favorite TFT character had dragon scale armor. We basically treated it as 3 point leather, with no other powers - but, that extra point of protection didn't count against future enchantments.

That didn't matter -he never made enough money while I was still playing him to get it enchanted.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Skarg

(I actually have a party closing in on being in position to commission some, if they make it home alive.)

I'm curious to see what others think. I'm thinking the results will depend on the dragon and the crafter(s) - a combination of Master Armory, Tanner, and Leatherworker might give the best results, which for 4-hex dragon scale might be something like the Fine Leather Armor from Interplay that I never allowed (i.e. stops 3 hits, but DX/MA/weight TBD). ;-) Without at least a Master Armorer, I'm thinking you'd end up with fancy-looking leather armor or maybe chainmail equivalent, or worse on a failed crafting roll.

It seems thematic to resist fire damage, but then it'd only be fair if dragons got that advantage too, no?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
MikMod

Yup, have this in my campaign. Dragon leather is basically rare +1 leather with the downside that dragons take a rather instant dislike to you! :)

Half damage from fire is a nice touch.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
JLV

Speaking in merely generic terms (and not intending to critique anyone's game in any way), I would think that making armor from the skin of a sentient being might be considered somewhat of a faux pas in any society as mixed in species make up as the typical "high fantasy" society is.

Plus, Dragons, being the kind of creatures they are, might collectively take a pretty dim view of the whole idea. If their senses permit them to detect the presence of someone wearing a skin of one of their kind (by scent, say), I suspect something in the nature of a total war might be declared on, at a minimum, the wearer of said skin and any companions with them or village/city that harbors them. (How would most of US feel if someone showed up wearing the skin of a human being as "armor"? Worse, what if we knew or were related to said skin's former owner?)

I bring this up, not to say this is a bad idea or wrongthink, but rather to point out some of the complications that I think a GM could legitimately apply if this kind of situation crops up...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I bring this up, not to say this is a bad idea or wrongthink, but rather to point out some of the complications that I think a GM could legitimately apply if this kind of situation crops up...
Although dragons already have this problem for Iron Flesh items and Gunpowder, and Gargoyles/Giants/Humans/Octopi/Dragons/Centaurs/Elves should have a major problem with Chemist/Alchemists too.

And warriors do commonly wear the teeth, claws, skin of those that they defeat as a mark of their own strength. Some even carry around shrunken heads! For one smaller dragon on their own, it might even scare them off!?

Cows don't attack people in leather shoes. And bears and wolves don't charge people in fur. Dragons are a lot smarter, but the leather is not terribly obvious I think. It works in my campaign as dragons are pretty rare, but yeah - if your group are well-known dragon hunters, then wearing bits of them is gonna provoke the dragons big time! :)
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
malchidael

Quote:
Speaking in merely generic terms (and not intending to critique anyone's game in any way), I would think that making armor from the skin of a sentient being might be considered somewhat of a faux pas in any society as mixed in species make up as the typical "high fantasy" society is.
Yep. My character with the dragonhide armor also kicked an NPC off a tall tower because the NPC was annoying.

What can I say? He wasn't the nicest orc.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:26 AM   #9
Tywyll

Quote:

Plus, Dragons, being the kind of creatures they are, might collectively take a pretty dim view of the whole idea. If their senses permit them to detect the presence of someone wearing a skin of one of their kind (by scent, say), I suspect something in the nature of a total war might be declared on, at a minimum, the wearer of said skin and any companions with them or village/city that harbors them. (How would most of US feel if someone showed up wearing the skin of a human being as "armor"? Worse, what if we knew or were related to said skin's former owner?)

I think when you are facing a creature that often eats intelligent races, they don't have a moral ground to stand on. This assumes of course you treat dragons in the standard fantasy trope version (which I do). Now, it might make things bad if you meet a dragon that would otherwise have been benign, but I disagree that anyone would care about it when you are dealing with a monster that eats people on the regular.

Also, dragon armor is cool!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:27 AM   #10
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Ok, but it'd be heavy, perhaps like chainmail so would still give -3DX I think. The fireproofing seems reasonable. But perhaps dragons and their kin can smell it and they won't like that you've killed one of their own....
Why?

I mean, why would it be specifically heavy? I can see that in the case of really large dragons maybe, but you'd only use the parts that would make it suitable to wear.

Now, if the scales came from a 7 or 14 hex dragon, I'd probably up its protection and dx mod.