Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #71
ParadoxGames

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Hexographer allows overlays over maps. I think it's simply hexographer.com or org. I prefer to do it myself after making an image file of the map
Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #72
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
minor bug: In Overlay mode, the "Stone" material makes solid black hexes instead of gray (black is shown in the preview as well).

Liking this!
Thanks, and you are correct. I originally made that change so that the first Material at the time (Stone) would render walls as black for folks doing traditional black-and-white maps. When I resequenced the Materials to put the new Black Material to the fore, I didn't restore the old Stone wall colour. I will get that back in.

Last edited by Shadekeep; 09-17-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: clarification
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #73
Shadekeep

New changes pushed out, the foremost of which is that the tool now has a name and a dedicated URL:

Shamat - http://shadekeep.com/shamat/shamat.html

This is done partly to help keep it distinct from the rest of the site code, and partly to make it much easier to package for download. The downloadable version should be available soon.

Other changes include:
  • Added the Corner and Finish components, to help complete square-angled edges in your floorplans.
  • Increased maximum Zoom level from 32 to 64. While not practical for map drawing except on very hi-res monitors, the zoom level also controls the hex size in the Save Image function. A zoom level of 64 produces an image with hexes that are pretty close to 1.5 inches in the native DPI.
  • The main tab is now titled Map instead of Palette.
  • Better Help section with Table Of Contents.
  • Add the About tab with license information.
  • Swapped the Rotate buttons, they were just confusing in the previous order.
  • Fixed the grey shade on Stone Overlays. (thanks RobW)
  • Begun the work behind the scenes for Terrains and colour customisations.

Please report any bugs or suggestions for continued improvements.

Last edited by Shadekeep; 09-21-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: zoom!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #74
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Ah, I see. It is good I asked, because my interpretation was that you intended those partial fillings to indicate sub-hex volumes that a figure could move through, just as the marked hexes are spaces a figure could move through, whereas you are suggesting they could also be spaces a figure specifically cannot move through - i.e., they could be walls. One possible issue is that as far as I can see they are only able to go through the centers of hexes and thus you would have trouble making a continuous wall of them because you can't make them carry through along edges of adjacent hexes. Or can you? Maybe I haven't explored enough how they work.
Just for clarification, here are my house rules on how Shamat-created maps are played.

Entering a Hex
  • A hex containing a Bulk hex or more is a treated as a solid hex. There is room for a hung painting or wall-mounted torch or such, but that's it.
  • A hex with a Half-hex piece can, at the GM's discretion, be moved into or through by a player flattening themselves against the wall. There should be a significant penalty for attacking or defending from this position.
  • A hex with an Apex piece or two is treated as a normal open hex for moving into and acting from.

Corridors
  • A very narrow corridor (1 Apex piece width) can only be traversed by small (nuisance-level) animals and slimes.
  • A Half-hex width corridor can be traversed by small characters (children, Halflings), and optionally by larger ones (adults, Orcs) squeezing between the walls.
  • A Bulk-width corridor (just Apex sides) can be traversed like a normal 1-hex corridor.

Transitioning
  • Any hex side covered by a wall is treated as a solid wall and players may not move into the adjacent hex through that side. So even an Apex piece sitting out in an open space acts as a wall on the two sides it covers.
  • Any contiguous join of pieces is treated as unbroken wall, and will block things such as line-of-sight, missile weapons, explosions, etc, unless otherwise stipulated. For example, a wall made of wooden lattice can be seen and, potentially, fired through.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #75
Helborn

One other functional request - the ability to rotate the hex orientation 90 degrees. Or having a second map with that orientation in place to start with. e.g. having the hex point be vertical.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #76
Shadekeep

Another major update of Shamat ( http://shadekeep.com/shamat/shamat.html ), here is the changelog.
  • Added Terrains layer.
  • Terrains include terrain-type symbologies (Water, Forest, Mountain, etc), as well as location-type symbologies (City, Ruins, etc).
  • Rivers are currently best added as Base or Overlay layer Channels, to make them stand out.
  • Added new Bands component to Features, acts as a thinner version of Channel/Junction for Feature and Terrain level drawing. Good for drawing roads on terrain maps, too.

To get a quick idea of what is possible, I've converted the Duchy of Dran map, which you can download here and open up in the app:

http://shadekeep.com/files/DuchyOfDran.skmr

Right-click that link and choose Save As, then save the .skmr file locally. Open it up in the Shamat web app. The map is turned on its side, as the "grain" of the hex grid is different than that of the the original map. If I can easily make the grain rotatable, I will add that feature too. I suspect it's non-trivial, however.

Please post any issues, suggestions, or other feedback. This is version 0.9, and I hope to lock any changes down for the 1.0 release. That release will include the downloadable stand-alone offline version of the app.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #77
larsdangly

Very nice! You are really getting to a point of 'critical mass' on this thing's capabilities.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #78
Shadekeep

Quote:
Very nice! You are really getting to a point of 'critical mass' on this thing's capabilities.
Thanks! Just pushed out a further minor change now. Upgraded the "Unders" tool to use dots instead of diamonds, looks a lot cleaner on the maps.

If anyone has further suggestions before I locked down the 1.0 release, please let me know.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #79
larsdangly

It might be a bit much for what you want to take on, but I think the best thing you could add would be a pallet of features appropriate to mapping at scales smaller than big regional areas. I.e., you have mountains, forests and cities, but the game presents 9 scales for maps, all but one of which are smaller than an individual mountain or city. It would be pretty cool if we could use this tool kit to create maps of small scale landscapes, large structures, neighborhoods etc.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #80
Shadekeep

Quote:
It might be a bit much for what you want to take on, but I think the best thing you could add would be a pallet of features appropriate to mapping at scales smaller than big regional areas. I.e., you have mountains, forests and cities, but the game presents 9 scales for maps, all but one of which are smaller than an individual mountain or city. It would be pretty cool if we could use this tool kit to create maps of small scale landscapes, large structures, neighborhoods etc.
Thanks, I'll try to check out some of the other map scales and see what might be useful for them. I suspect that I can recreate the village map from the original ITL with a fair amount of the existing tools, so doing that as an exercise may reveal what further is needed.