Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
WhiteLily

Default "One Eye" Starting Disadvantage and Regeneration

If a Knight takes "One Eye" and there's a Cleric who can cast Regeneration in the party, can the Cleric heal the Knight's starting disadvantage?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
Polkageist

Default Re: "One Eye" Starting Disadvantage and Regeneration

I'd say no until they pony up the points to buy off the disadvantage.
Otherwise the magic either doesn't fix it, or the eye comes back but don't work right (until points are paid).

Also tell the player 'nice loophole, don't use it'
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
Anders

Yeah, but they'll be 15 points in the hole. No cp for you until you've paid it off.

Don't allow it in a one-shot.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Dalin

I take my cue from the Wounded disadvantage, which simply says that the wound "won't completely heal, for whatever reason." This suggests to me that there are types of injuries in the default DFRPG setting that don't respond to healing magic. I would normally leave the rationale in the player's hand. If they want to have their backstory explain the reason, great. Maybe if you're born without an eye, it won't regenerate. Maybe if the wound from a cursed spear will never fully heal. If the player would rather not come up with a story, it can be a mystery. If they later want to buy off the disad, they can do that and come up with an in-game explanation (e.g., atonement for a past sin, quest to find a fancy bandaid, etc.).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I take my cue from the Wounded disadvantage, which simply says that the wound "won't completely heal, for whatever reason." This suggests to me that there are types of injuries in the default DFRPG setting that don't respond to healing magic. I would normally leave the rationale in the player's hand. If they want to have their backstory explain the reason, great. Maybe if you're born without an eye, it won't regenerate. Maybe if the wound from a cursed spear will never fully heal. If the player would rather not come up with a story, it can be a mystery. If they later want to buy off the disad, they can do that and come up with an in-game explanation (e.g., atonement for a past sin, quest to find a fancy bandaid, etc.).
This is great. And, of course, they have to pay the points. But generally: yes.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
Polkageist

Player flavor text engagement is always a good decision
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
malloyd

No. Though you're discouraged from have started with it in the first place. See Old War Wounds, Adventurers p.55 and Buying Off Disadvantages, Exploits p.93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Yeah, but they'll be 15 points in the hole. No cp for you until you've paid it off.
Other way around - you can't even try to heal it until you have the 15 points. And arguably a $1500 cash price - the rules in Exploits don't have an exception for the magical aid being provided by a fellow PC.

If you acquired it in play, then you didn't get any points back for it, and you can get it healed. I also allow "disadvantages" for which you don't get any points back if you want (if you absolutely insist you have to have a disadvantage over the disadvantage limit for roleplaying purposes for example, I might let your character have it but it's worth -0 points for you...), which you are free to abandon any time you wish. Though for a physical problem and I might insist the player provide me with a justification beyond the "I stop pretending to have it" that works for mental ones.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
If a Knight takes "One Eye" and there's a Cleric who can cast Regeneration in the party, can the Cleric heal the Knight's starting disadvantage?
See Adventurers p.55 ("Old War Wounds") and Exploits p.93 (Buying Off Disadvantages): if you start with a disadvantage, you must always pay points to get rid of it, even with magical assistance.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
David Johansen

Sure, but the eye belongs to the god not the knight. And the god is very interested in what the knight is doing or possibly goes looking at things the god wants to look at and the god starts making peanut gallery comments and sometimes the eye sees the invisible and intangible divine and infernal agents as they go about in the world and the eye occasionally does weird and silly things like spinning in its socket which causes nausea or closing for the daily hour of prayer. It will read holy scripture but not other writings which it considers blasphemous. It also winks at inappropriate times and occasionally glows in its own holiness but never when the knight wants it to.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:15 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Sure, but the eye belongs to the god not the knight. And the god is very interested in what the knight is doing or possibly goes looking at things the god wants to look at and the god starts making peanut gallery comments and sometimes the eye sees the invisible and intangible divine and infernal agents as they go about in the world and the eye occasionally does weird and silly things like spinning in its socket which causes nausea or closing for the daily hour of prayer. It will read holy scripture but not other writings which it considers blasphemous. It also winks at inappropriate times and occasionally glows in its own holiness but never when the knight wants it to.
Dammit, I want an upvote button.