Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-02-2023, 08:53 AM   #91
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: #Dungeon23 Megadungeon Challenge

March 2 etr

Description: A small 2 yard by three yard room. A plaque has been carved into the wall.

The plaque: carved with hole that looks like it would hold a small stone, a hand print for a right hand. and the following runes carved below.

By this gem I swear loyalty to Polriket
By this hand I swear obedience to Polriket
By this throat I swear my life to Polriket

The plaque is surrounded by several deep gashes in the stone, but it itself is perfectly smooth. If the plaque is destroyed, it will gradually grow back into the stone over the course of a week.

The plaque is enchanted. If a gem is placed in and the words spoken, the gem becomes enchanted and will open several places in the dungeon if placed there by the character who swore the oath. The Gem has other properties as well... it can be used to track the location of the person who swore its oath, and resistance to magic spells cast by Polriket or his lieutenants are at -3.

Exits: A simple stone archway without a door.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 03-02-2023 at 08:57 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:03 PM   #92
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 3 etr

Description:
An natural cave about 300 yards across and 120 yards wide, with a high ceiling, running southwest to north-east. The vast majority of the room is a lake, with a typical depth of about 7 yards. In the center is an island with a tower.

Exits: An underwater channel leads into the lake from the southwest. A small tunnel with a small but rapid stream leads out from the center of the northwest side. Four beaches are each their own area. One in the northern corner, one in the eastern corner, one opposite the northern corner on the southeast side, and one in the southern corner. An underwater portal is on the northeast side of the island.

Monsters: A Giant Tentacled Thing (see Jan 5) lives in the lake.

Treasure:
20 Giant Tentacled Thing Eggs on the bottom of the lake, they weigh 1 lbs and are worth $100 each if kept alive. The eggs will suffocate if out of the water for more than 10 minutes.

Vision: -9 the north beach has a glowing blue portal that can be seen from most locations on the lake

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-04-2023, 08:23 AM   #93
ajardoor

Yeah, started on the March floor days ago, right on schedule.

See the first post of March; https://tabletoprpg333.home.blog/202...floor-3-march/

Includes the floor's random encounter table and the MAR 1 area.
===

The third floor of the mega-dungeon is less traditionally “dungeon-like”, it more resembles an underground forest and a freshwater lake with islands in a giant cavern. The GM may treat this floor more like a small wilderness, allowing the adventurers to step off the dirt paths between areas. The “ceiling” of the floor is 13 yards high from the ground. The floor’s lake is 35 yards at its deepest. The March floor is 250 yards end-to-end, from one rock wall denoting the edge of the floor to another.

Going off the dirt paths and into the tree-line will slow down movement. Call it -1 to Move, after encumbrance.

Areas on this floor are less “rooms” and more open due to the wild nature of the floor, although there are a few discrete buildings. Any doors in such buildings are average ironbound, DR 10 and HP 34, assume Lockpicking +0 modifier if locked. Walls of building on the floor are six inches thick, DR 78 and HP 75. Any metalwork on the floor are average; DR 9 and HP 18 for bars, weighing 500 lbs., and ST 18 to lift 2-handed without assistance or extra effort.

Lighting varies in buildings, but overall the wilderness areas of the floor are lit by nearby glowing plants, for a -5 Darkness penalty.

Mana on the floor is Normal. Sanctity is Normal, too. Nature’s Strength is +0, due to the odd wilderness of the floor.

The chance of a random encounter on this floor is 9 or less on 3d.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:34 AM   #94
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 6 etr

Description: A beach along Mar3, 6 yards long and 3 yards wide. It has a glowing blue portal built into the wall, and mostly likely the boat. The sand of the beach counts as bad footing.

Scrawled on the wall are the words "Bring a goat for bait"

Exits: The glowing blue portal connects to Feb16: the effect taking Paut and power items only applies to coming from Feb16, not going there. Mar 3 is of course plainly visible: this is the "Northern Beach".

The Boat: There is a 50% chance of an enchanted boat being in this location. When on the Mar 3 lake, the boat moves by itself. It has 36 HP, DR 2, can hold up to eight people, and weighs 1,200 lbs. If it can be moved from the lake, its worth $3,000. The boat responds to calls for assistance anywhere on the lake, but only moves between the three northern-most beaches and the island.

Vision: -3 (from glowing portal).

Last edited by ericthered; 04-06-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #95
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 7 etr

Description: an eight yard by 15 yard oval, filled with glowing peach trees. The ground is littered with peach pits, the bones of animals, and decaying leaves. The trees go through the full cycle of the year every hour. Giant rats loudly squabble with each other.

Monsters: 5d6 giant rats. Reduce the number of rats by 1d6 each time adventurers slay them here or as a wandering monster, and increase by 1d6 (to a maximum of 5d6) for each week that passes, even if there are supposedly "no rats left". The rats are aggressive and territorial, but will run once about half their numbers are gone.

The Red Tree: One tree is very different from the others, with deep red leaves and White fruit similar to a pomegranate. Eating that fruit heals 2d6 damage, 1d6 FP, and gives +2 to HT rolls for 1 hour... as long as the eater stays in the strange glowing underground garden. If they leave before the hour is up, they loose twice the HP and HP they gained, and have -2 to HT rolls for the rest of the hour. Returning to the underground garden doesn't help.

Exits: two natural choke points, one connecting to Feb 24.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:26 AM   #96
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 8 etr

Description: A 7 yard by 5 yard natural chamber filled with a mild glow and giant mushrooms that will regrow in 10 minutes if picked. If eaten the mushrooms will cause retching and vomitting in 10 seconds, as well as 2d6 toxic damage (HT-2 halves damage). Naturalist can identify the mushrooms are not good to each. 4 inch grubs crawl all around the dirt on the floor of the cave.

Monster: An enormous and aggressive Armadillo lives here, and will be here 50% of the time unless defeated as a wandering monster. Use the stats for a cave bear with the following adjustments:
  • DR is 8, unless chinks are targeted (at -5).
  • Bite has a venomous follow up of Severe Pain and 1d6 toxic. A HT-2 roll can reduce this to moderate pain and 1 toxic.
  • Class is Hybrid, rather than dire or giant animal, due to the nature of the magic here
Mana: Very High
Vision: +0 (the glow)

Treasure: A silver amulet worth $100 is lying on the ground, with the emblem of a rat. four matching Bronze amulets, each worth $20, are also here. A per-based naturalist or Alchemy will identify a nest of five grubs that each act as an invisibility potion. They live on poo, and will starve if not fed daily, and transform into giant ugly worthless bugs after 1 month. The have a nominal value of $700 each... transporting these things is usually more trouble than it is worth.

Exits: A natural passage connecting to Feb 24.

NOTE: an edit to Feb 23 has been made, with respect to the amulets found in this room. they will teleport back to this room if passing through the red portal.

Last edited by ericthered; 03-08-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:29 AM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
The third floor of the mega-dungeon is less traditionally “dungeon-like”, it more resembles an underground forest and a freshwater lake with islands in a giant cavern.
Interesting that large natural areas are featuring in both of our march stuff!

Old 03-10-2023, 11:44 AM   #98
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 10 etr

Description: A 10 yard by 10 yard perfectly circular but natural cavern filled with a soft glow and a dense mat of vines.

Encounter: Two Cave Bears and Arbazil, A divine servitor of nature and growth. She was trapped in this very high mana area by the wizard Polriket, and is now twisted enough that she cannot return home... this place is not true nature, but a magical immitation of it. She is mad with fury and will attack any humanoids as "despoilers of nature!" She will talk about her situation as she fights if they bring up her Goddess, Therosia, and will actually stop fighting and give them a chance if they talk about Polriket, who she has sworn vengeance on.

Code:
ST 14     HP 20         Speed 7
DX 14     Will 20       Move 7
IQ 16     Per 16        
HT 13     FP 13+7         SM 0

Dodge 11    Parry 13    DR 4

Staff (14): 2d6+2 crushing, -1 to defense
Obedient Vines (16): Binding with ST 15, -2 to defend, range 20 yards

Skills: Staff -16, Innate Attack (spells) -16, Beast Summoning - 20, 
Minor Healing -20, Major Healing -20, Great Healing -20, 
Cure Disease - 20, Neutralize Poision - 20, Instant Neutralize Poison -20,
Restoration -20, Instant Restoration -20, Regeneration-20, Instant Regeneration-20
Final Rest -20, Strike Blind -20, Restore sight -20, Strike Deaf -20, Restore Hearing -20
Spasm -20, Pain -20, Resist Pain -20, Agonize -20, Clumbsiness -20
Paralyze Limb - 20, Total Paralysis -20, Fumble -20, Agonize -20, Strike Dumb -20

Traits: Doesn't Sleep, Eat, or Drink, Immune to Metabolic Hazards,
Homogenous, Compartmentalized Mind 2, Binding 15,
Speak with Animals, Speak with plants, Regeneration 2/sec, Regrowth
Divine investiture 5, Divine curse (cannot leave tunnel),
Unkillable 2 (but heals 1/hp minute once failing a "death roll")

Class: Divine Servitor
Notes: This area acts as a very High Sancity Zone for Arbazil: She gets Energy back as soon as she casts.

Arbazil has compartmentalized mind 2, letting her cast two additional spells or Obedient vine attacks. All the natural creatures in the area will instinctively obey her. She has a LOT of abilities, including spells. Especially useful ones include
  • Beast Summoning at no penalty for any creature in the glowing garden area
  • Total paralysis to disable foes (agonize and strike blind can serve similar purposes)
  • Healing spells to keep her animal allies healed up.
Arbazil is not exactly squishy, but will try to put distance between herself and her foes. She will not kill subdued foes unless they were wanton destroyers of nature: she will send them back through the portal with a warning she will kill them if they ever return.

Arbazil can tell the following about Polriket:
  • He is a Dark One Wizard who lived about 180 years ago (she doesn't know the time, but she knows the date she was trapped)
  • He is a talented and powerful gate mage and necromancer
  • He sought "Immortality with life rather than undeath"
  • This dungeon was built to further his immortality.
  • He has instructions for his followers to come through here and revive him, but was paranoid and so set up a series of tests. He seems to be afraid that enemies might reach the end of these tests and destroy something. She's not sure what.
  • One such test is behind her, but she cannot reach it to destroy it, because she is bound to this zone. This test seems to involve wearing a bronze rat amulet and carrying a silver rat amulet and a vessel of water.
  • The Dungeon is built on top of a natural very high Mana zone, and has features besides those Arbazil "Corrupted"
Vision: +0 (glowing plants)
Mana: Very High
Exits: A natural passage leads into the room from Feb 24, and another leads out of it.

This is another balance question: I'm not sure how terrifying or simple Arbazil is to beat. Some of it will depend on how much of the area has already been cleared of creatures, but a Very High Mana fight against Compartmentalized mind 2 and regenerating homogenous should be pretty difficult.

Last edited by ericthered; 03-22-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #99
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 9 etr

Description: A regular seven room with 3 yard sides. In the center is a ring on the floor three yards across glowing with a dark sort of energy. Hooks are set into each of the seven walls. Occultism, Thaumatology, or Hidden Lore (Undead or Elder Things) will identify the hooks as sacrificial hooks, used to perform a ritual on sapient beings. A few glowing stones are in the center of the ring.

Entrance: A single entrance, average wooden door, no locks or bars.

The Ring: An Occultism-4, Thaumatology, or hidden lore (Elder things or Demons) roll can identify the circle in the center as being particuarly close to the beyond that elder things come from, though not a proper portal. Any creature that is not an elder thing that comes within the circle ( and up to two yards above it) takes 2d6 toxic damage. This includes things with an animating force, including most constructs and undead. Summoning an elder thing within the ring, should anyone wish to do so, is at +5 skill and half FP cost.

Treasure: In the center are three rocks that have been turned to void stone. Each weighs a lb and is worth $400.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:29 AM   #100
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 13 etr

Description: A four yard by four yard square chamber with a life-sized stone statue of a Dark One in robes in the center.

Damage: If the stone in this room (including the statue or door) is damaged it will slowly grow back, unless a remove curse spell beats a skill of 21. It takes a full week for the room to completely repair.

Entrance: An average wooden door. Evil runes will shock anyone who enters without wearing a bronze Rat amulet from Mar 8 for 10 points of electrical damage. Spotting these runes is a traps-2 roll or Thaumatology roll. The door can be opened without triggering the runes. A different bronze rat amulet will also work.

Statue: The statue is of Polriket, though it would take some research to actually find this out. Placing the silver rat amulet from Mar 8 on the statue will cause the stone in the back of the room to make an impression for a bronze amulet. Any silver or bronze amulet with a rat symbol on it will do the trick as well.

Exit: placing the bronze amulet in the impression of stone at the back of the room will open a secret door in the back of the room made of magically flowing stone. The back wall is a foot thick (DR 156, 94 HP), if players wish to break in through the secret door. An architecture or Search-4 roll can reveal that the wall is hollow IF the PC's search the room for something hidden.

Tags
#dungeon23, challenge, megadungeon