Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
DAT

Default Re: Beyond Yttarria [Banestorm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Western Africa, yes. They could follow the coast all the way. The Americas, no.
There is an ancient Chinese map that shows North, Central, and South America. Thought is they sailed up the coast past Korea and Siberia, crossed the Bering Sea and came down the west coast. There is some decent evidense they had contact with Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest, and collected botanical samples from Central America.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #32
tantric
Banned

Quote:
A much easier task than writing a GURPS: African Kingdoms
My Ubantu (see sig) started out as an alternate continent on Yrth, it even have it's own version of the Banestorm. I veered away from canonical Banestorm because I didn't want the grab bag of races (you got your goblins in my Africa!).

I would jump up and down and do cartwheels if I could interest anyone in playing Ubantu, or even helping me finishing it. I did unreal amounts of research to create it, but it's an absolute orphan project. The stuff online isn't the most recent, either. If anyone cares to help me salvage this, I think it would make an excellent addition to Banestorm, and carry on the 3e GURPS tradition of good anthropology.

My favorite part is the Ogres, though the Elephants are a close second. And those aren't even Bantu. This, is Bantu.

Last edited by tantric; 11-08-2012 at 10:06 PM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #33
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
My Ubantu (see sig) started out as an alternate continent on Yrth, it even have it's own version of the Banestorm. I veered away from canonical Banestorm because I didn't want the grab bag of races (you got your goblins in my Africa!).

I would jump up and down and do cartwheels if I could interest anyone in playing Ubantu, or even helping me finishing it. I did unreal amounts of research to create it, but it's an absolute orphan project. The stuff online isn't the most recent, either. If anyone cares to help me salvage this, I think it would make an excellent addition to Banestorm, and carry on the 3e GURPS tradition of good anthropology.

My favorite part is the Ogres, though the Elephants are a close second. And those aren't even Bantu. This, is Bantu.
Grand stuff! All of this could still be on Yrth. Who's to say that the Banestorm took Goblins everywhere? The fact you took authenic African stuff and made a solid fantasy world from it is the kind of thing I was talking about.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #34
tantric
Banned

Since Ytarria ended up with a mainly Eurocentric culture and monsters and races from a similar mythology, why couldn't another continent have the same focus? In Ubantu, they know they aren't on Earth and have their own cultural explanation for what happened. Milikyunjovu, the central empire, was meant to be able to take on Megalos. It would be fun, there's just not that much support. These days I'm focused on rebooting my fantasy campaign, the one with the Yokai. At the moment I'm working on a similar doc for NAmerican shapeshifter races.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Lamech

I suspect that an other continent might not have the anti-tech conspiracy of Yttaria. It could be more like technomancer.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
I suspect that an other continent might not have the anti-tech conspiracy of Yttaria. It could be more like technomancer.
As I said before, assuming that they followed the same model of Yttaria, with small TL 3 seed populations imported via Banestorm there's no way their technological advancement would keep pace with Earth. That takes large cities which require time to grow.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #37
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
As I said before, assuming that they followed the same model of Yttaria, with small TL 3 seed populations imported via Banestorm there's no way their technological advancement would keep pace with Earth. That takes large cities which require time to grow.
Assuming that the continent that Africans are taken to has natural resources and lacks the diseases that doomed animal husbandry and thus acriculture there in our history, it is not impossible and indeed quite plausible that you'd see huge cities forming in the almost a millenia that passes after the Banestorm. It doesn't really take all that long for a people to be fruitful and multiply if they have access to plenty of resources and start out too few to utilise them all.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #38
Icelander

On the other hand, there's no way that any continent on Yrth would be TL8 or higher, as that would demand worldwide trade, of which worldwide exploration is a necesary prerequisite.

By the very fact that the rest of Yrth is ignorant of their very existence, we can rule out the existence of high-tech human civilisations. Anything of mature TL4 and higher makes it unlikely that ships from them haven't visited the rest of Yrth.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its possible that the TL 4 society could refrain from navigating across yrth's oceans if yrth's oceans are dangerous enough. And those oceans are pretty nasty.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #40
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its possible that the TL 4 society could refrain from navigating across yrth's oceans if yrth's oceans are dangerous enough. And those oceans are pretty nasty.
Sure. But once they become closer and closer to a TL8 Technomancer society, travel becomes less and less challenging. Not to mention that a TL4 society that deemphasises foreign travel and trade is going to be stuck at TL4, most likely.

Tags
banestorm