Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #51
Aleph
Administrator

Default Re: FnordCon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
[eyebrow raised] The board I was using didn't have anything like what you describe.
It did. There were 2 Control markers on the Speed dial that were revealed at slower speeds.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #52
Magesmiley

Quote:
[eyebrow raised] The board I was using didn't have anything like what you describe.
When you moved the speed slider up it covered two of the control symbols, reducing how many you got at the start of the turn. Likewise if you took tire damage that one got moved down also covering up some of the control symbols on the dashboard, also reducing the number you got.

We're you playing you just got 6 every turn?

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #53
Aleph
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Your work with "+2/-2 speed with no consequences" and 43Supporter's work with abusing rerolls...I get the feeling testing is in the 'game-breaking loophole' phase. Hopefully word makes it back to Randy/Jimmie and they can get those sorted out before launch.
Of note, I am not one of the designers or developers, I was just your driving coach for FnordCon.

I would also note that the +2/-2 speed is not "no consequences". They had to spend build points on two separate pieces of equipment to offset the normal penalties for those speed changes, rather than on additional defenses or weapons.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #54
Aleph
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Also as an fyi, I've started sharing some pictures from Fnordcon in the images section for Car Wars on boardgamegeek.com.

A question for the powers that be who graciously shared a preview at Fnordcon: I took pictures of all of the cards... Would it be okay for me to post a list with the prototype card stats/info here?
Please do not post the cards. If we wanted to publish that information, we would do so.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #55
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
Of note, I am not one of the designers or developers, I was just your driving coach for FnordCon.

I would also note that the +2/-2 speed is not "no consequences". They had to spend build points on two separate pieces of equipment to offset the normal penalties for those speed changes, rather than on additional defenses or weapons.
True. But the ability to go up or down fairly freely for better positioning, plus the extra defense rolls from the easier access to the speed, and the free ace tokens (two of which used will negate a hit 4/9 and 2 hits 1/9) is why I consider those two items undercosted at a point each.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #56
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Here is an overview of how and why the integrated state of your vehicle diminishes.
  • Tire damage is linked to loss of control and speed
  • Fire (burning) impacts control or damage
  • Explosive weapon damage impacts control
  • Control improves defense and maneuverability
  • Speed improves defense and decreases maneuverability
  • (Vicious cycle: control impacts skids which impact tire damage, ergo see first point.)
To elaborate on this a bit:
  • When you make a maneuver, every wrench that you roll causes a 1 point of tire damage. As the tire value goes down, your top speed drops and you get fewer control markers at the start of your turn.
    Some weapons will do tire damage when a wrench is rolled. If you roll tire damage, it is prevented first when you roll shields for defense (and then regular damage from stars gets prevented).
  • When a flame weapon fires, if the armor isn't already on fire, the first wrench rolled will set the armor on that side of the car on fire. Any additional wrenches (including the first if the armor is already burning) become stars (regular damage).
    Shields cannot prevent the side from being set on fire, but can prevent the damage from wrenches converted to stars.
    When fires are being handled during the turn, you may (if you have them) opt to discard 2 control markers to extinguish a fire on one side of armor. If you don't (or can't) a point of damage is done to that side.
  • The first wrench rolled by an explosive weapon causes the target to lose 1 control marker. Additional wrenches become regular damage, if rolled.
    This loss of the control marker can't be prevented, but any converted damage can be prevented by shields as usual.
  • Control affects defense in the respect that if you are out of control markers you cannot roll any defense dice for speed.
    It affects maneuverability in the sense that if you are out of control markers you must go straight the remainder of the turn.
    When you roll more skids than you have control markers remaining, the remainder turns into a fishtail (using the turn stick), with the number you are short being the equivalent turn severity (and being short five means you flipped the car and are now toast).
  • Speed improves defense, provided that you are in control, by giving you your speed value in yellow dice when defending.
    The flip side is that when making maneuvers, you also roll your speed in yellow dice, plus the dice for the maneuver, losing a control marker for every shield/skid that you roll.
    Higher speeds (4 and 5) also reduce the number of control markers that you gain every turn.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #57
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
When you moved the speed slider up it covered two of the control symbols, reducing how many you got at the start of the turn. Likewise if you took tire damage that one got moved down also covering up some of the control symbols on the dashboard, also reducing the number you got.
Um -- I moved the Speed-dial slider on the board I was using through its full range; at no point did "Control" markings appear *anywhere* on the Speed scale. (Not sure about the Tire scale; I never rolled enough tire hits for that to matter.) I don't know how that might have happened; possibly the hole on the slider I was using was mis-cut too small?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #58
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Um -- I moved the Speed-dial slider on the board I was using through its full range; at no point did "Control" markings appear *anywhere* on the Speed scale. (Not sure about the Tire scale; I never rolled enough tire hits for that to matter.) I don't know how that might have happened; possibly the hole on the slider I was using was mis-cut too small?
Huh.

They wouldn't have appeared in the windows...they should've been along the outer edge, on the opposite side of the dial from 0 and 1 so that the far end of the spinny bit would cover one up at 3, and the other at 4.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #59
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Huh.

They wouldn't have appeared in the windows...they should've been along the outer edge, on the opposite side of the dial from 0 and 1 so that the far end of the spinny bit would cover one up at 3, and the other at 4.
The tools were being used wrong if the control icons weren't being followed. The dashboard is clear and easy to use; the rule for taking control at the start of a round is simple.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #60
43Supporter

Quote:
Huh.

Didn't see any markings there, either.

And since there were no instruction manuals available, and I didn't look at anyone else's boards, I had no way of knowing something might have been "off".

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote