Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default ISWAT Mission to Abydos

Yrth is such a wonderfully detailed setting that I'm trying to figure out some way to run an adventure/campaign that will allow the PCs to see a substantial portion of it. Here's one idea I had: an ISWAT team is sent to investigate reports of a mysterious city of necromancers somewhere near Lake Styx. You know, just to make sure these necromancers aren't going to be sending legions of undead streaming through a nexus portal to invade another worldline. The mission would start out in Tredroy, both because canonically Infinity is set up to operate out of the city, and because it would give the PCs a chance to see another cool part of the Banestorm setting.

I'm thinking they could have cover as merchants working for the House of the White Star. I'm not quite sure on the route, but I think they'd sail up the Blueshoal river to Hadaton, then to Yibyorak, then sail the Archeron to get to Styx. Once there, they'd have to learn about Abydos from Northman traders, since Megalos tries to suppress knowledge that the island even exists. Do I have the outline of that right here? What challenges should they experience along the way?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: ISWAT Mission to Abydos

Are you making it easier to leave Yrth than it is by default? Without that, ISWAT will be aware that they'll have real trouble getting their people back.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Yrth is such a wonderfully detailed setting that I'm trying to figure out some way to run an adventure/campaign that will allow the PCs to see a substantial portion of it. Here's one idea I had: an ISWAT team is sent to investigate reports of a mysterious city of necromancers somewhere near Lake Styx. You know, just to make sure these necromancers aren't going to be sending legions of undead streaming through a nexus portal to invade another worldline. The mission would start out in Tredroy, both because canonically Infinity is set up to operate out of the city, and because it would give the PCs a chance to see another cool part of the Banestorm setting.
This is a fun idea that I intend to encourage my friend who plays/GMs ISWAT in NYC to straight-up rip off, so if you play in that game (you probably know who you are) and want to avoid spoilers on anything we come up with for it here, this is your fair warning.

If I was running this, I'd play the "City of Death" and its zombie army up as a very scary potential cross-world threat like the Gotha virus, then let the contrast provide comic relief as the PCs investigate and discover that the people of Abydos are mostly pretty "normal" low-tech magic-world Christians going about their business. This approach will, of course, require a hidden "real" plot to not become a very dull Infinity travelogue episode very quickly, such as a heretofore-undiscovered incursion from the Cabal or Centrum or a rogue Infinity agent hiding out or something.

Quote:
I'm thinking they could have cover as merchants working for the House of the White Star. I'm not quite sure on the route, but I think they'd sail up the Blueshoal river to Hadaton, then to Yibyorak, then sail the Archeron to get to Styx. Once there, they'd have to learn about Abydos from Northman traders, since Megalos tries to suppress knowledge that the island even exists. Do I have the outline of that right here? What challenges should they experience along the way?
They might have to interact with nomad traders to find out the exact location of the city, but the fact that they're even going on this mission strongly suggests that they already have a vague idea of what and where it is. I'd personally give them the location, but have them rendezvous with friendly nomads to hook up with "White Star's" regional organized crime contacts and secure discreet passage, maybe a guide.

I'd worry less about taking a route that makes geographic sense and more about hitting the setting's high points while they're here. Stick a McGuffin on Bilit Island, send them off to rescue a spy who has fallen into the clutches of the Ministry of Serendipity, etc. If you can get them interacting with the undersea civilizations somewhere along the line, it would not only provide a cool set piece but also the opportunity to find out about Olokun, at least by reputation, which could set up further adventures if they're interested in TMWNMTK at all.

There really isn't going to be a lot of native stuff that will provide what an ISWAT team would call a "challenge" besides a massive horde of orcs, a smaller but more organized magic-assisted military force, or monstrous dragons and other powerful wizards who will probably be too smart to take such a group on (but bonus points if you make it happen), so you're probably going to have to focus on off-world threats unless you feel like running a slice-of-life /social episode in which the team just interacts with a wacky and different world. For double-plus-good culture shock expectation-reversal, maneuver them into a position where they have to help the zombie army defend the island from invasion by a Megalan legion to achieve the mission goal.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

How does anythig on Yrth get a potential IW threat assessment higher than the Dark Elves? Their ritual didn't work but it was a truly epic attempt at mass parachronic travel used as a weapon.

Come to think of it, if I was Infinity I'd be worried about them trying again even if I was sure they were going to fail.

Oh1 As a quick second thought maybe Infinity doesn't know about the true history of the Banestorm and that is the secret they discove rin Abydos after they find nothing but icky/kewl necromancy there.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Are you making it easier to leave Yrth than it is by default? Without that, ISWAT will be aware that they'll have real trouble getting their people back.
The Infinite Worlds book is vague about how exactly Infinity's operation on Yrth works, but presumably they have something in place, likely a magical artifact. Of course, that means extraction will depend on getting back to wherever the artifact is held (almost certainly Tredroy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
This is a fun idea that I intend to encourage my friend who plays/GMs ISWAT in NYC to straight-up rip off, so if you play in that game (you probably know who you are) and want to avoid spoilers on anything we come up with for it here, this is your fair warning.

If I was running this, I'd play the "City of Death" and its zombie army up as a very scary potential cross-world threat like the Gotha virus, then let the contrast provide comic relief as the PCs investigate and discover that the people of Abydos are mostly pretty "normal" low-tech magic-world Christians going about their business.
Fully intend to go for that angle.

Quote:
This approach will, of course, require a hidden "real" plot to not become a very dull Infinity travelogue episode very quickly, such as a heretofore-undiscovered incursion from the Cabal or Centrum or a rogue Infinity agent hiding out or something.
Yeah, I probably should.

Quote:
They might have to interact with nomad traders to find out the exact location of the city, but the fact that they're even going on this mission strongly suggests that they already have a vague idea of what and where it is. I'd personally give them the location, but have them rendezvous with friendly nomads to hook up with "White Star's" regional organized crime contacts and secure discreet passage, maybe a guide.

I'd worry less about taking a route that makes geographic sense and more about hitting the setting's high points while they're here. Stick a McGuffin on Bilit Island, send them off to rescue a spy who has fallen into the clutches of the Ministry of Serendipity, etc. If you can get them interacting with the undersea civilizations somewhere along the line, it would not only provide a cool set piece but also the opportunity to find out about Olokun, at least by reputation, which could set up further adventures if they're interested in TMWNMTK at all.
You know, if the Ministry of Serendipity capture the ordinary patrol agents initially sent to investigate...

As for Bilit Island and the undersea civilizations, I'm not sure I quite see as much promise there. Though I had not quite picked up on the hints that Olokun is home to some very scary Things, so maybe I need to rethink that.

Quote:
There really isn't going to be a lot of native stuff that will provide what an ISWAT team would call a "challenge" besides a massive horde of orcs, a smaller but more organized magic-assisted military force, or monstrous dragons and other powerful wizards who will probably be too smart to take such a group on (but bonus points if you make it happen), so you're probably going to have to focus on off-world threats unless you feel like running a slice-of-life /social episode in which the team just interacts with a wacky and different world. For double-plus-good culture shock expectation-reversal, maneuver them into a position where they have to help the zombie army defend the island from invasion by a Megalan legion to achieve the mission goal.
Yeah - part of the challenge would be that, while an ISWAT team could just cut a swath through Megalos, Infinity wants them to be more subtle (even when rescuing agents from the Ministry of Serendipity). And if they do fail at subtlety, this should have amusing unintended consequences.

But speaking of offworld threats, Yrth is inaccessible to Centrum (though it could be interesting if Centrum pulled it off somehow). More interesting, though, is having some threat from the Cabal... but what's the Cabal's angle? What are they trying to accomplish on Yrth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
How does anythig on Yrth get a potential IW threat assessment higher than the Dark Elves? Their ritual didn't work but it was a truly epic attempt at mass parachronic travel used as a weapon.

Come to think of it, if I was Infinity I'd be worried about them trying again even if I was sure they were going to fail.

Oh1 As a quick second thought maybe Infinity doesn't know about the true history of the Banestorm and that is the secret they discove rin Abydos after they find nothing but icky/kewl necromancy there.
Yeah, I thought of doing this same basic idea but with the Dark Elves in place of Abydos. Honestly, my reason for choosing Abydos isn't any in-universe logic, it's just that there's a whole source book for Abydos. Maybe it's pure chance that Infinity's incomplete information about Yrth makes Abydos seem like more of a threat? (If the players notice at all.)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
The Infinite Worlds book is vague about how exactly Infinity's operation on Yrth works, but presumably they have something in place, likely a magical artifact. Of course, that means extraction will depend on getting back to wherever the artifact is held (almost certainly Tredroy).
This is ISWAT. ISWAT gets paid to think of the unusual stuff, and has thought of the sargasso problem. If they need to be where the action is, the Plot will provide. If they need complications to get back, the Plot will provide that, too.

Quote:
You know, if the Ministry of Serendipity capture the ordinary patrol agents initially sent to investigate... [word shuffle] Yeah - part of the challenge would be that, while an ISWAT team could just cut a swath through Megalos, Infinity wants them to be more subtle (even when rescuing agents from the Ministry of Serendipity). And if they do fail at subtlety, this should have amusing unintended consequences.
This might not be a typical "get in, do it regardless of the collateral damage, get out" ISWAT-type mission... They might be sending ISWAT because subtlety is at a premium (for [insert reason]) and they can't have the Ministry knowing who burglarized them. Maybe the Ministry already knows about Infinity, and snatching their captives violates a treaty...

Quote:
As for Bilit Island and the undersea civilizations, I'm not sure I quite see as much promise there. Though I had not quite picked up on the hints that Olokun is home to some very scary Things, so maybe I need to rethink that.
I got there by asking myself, "What do I think is cool and different about this setting?" IE: "What are the can't-miss sights during a single stop on this world?" If your answers to that question are different from mine, adjust accordingly.

Quote:
But speaking of offworld threats, Yrth is inaccessible to Centrum (though it could be interesting if Centrum pulled it off somehow). More interesting, though, is having some threat from the Cabal... but what's the Cabal's angle? What are they trying to accomplish on Yrth?
Could just be a convenient magic world Safehouse / R&D outpost, but if you really want to spice things up, maybe they're there to acquire some artifact that would influence the bigger conflict, to stage an invasion of another parallel, or to research the Quantum Sargasso effect, with an eye to its artificial reproduction...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
More interesting, though, is having some threat from the Cabal... but what's the Cabal's angle? What are they trying to accomplish on Yrth?
There are quite a few possibilities there, depending on the style of your Cabal. The least effective Cabal is mostly composed of secretive cacklers, some of whom chance on ways of achieving great power, while the rest glory in the wonders of being a wizard and never accomplish much. The most effective Cabal is a well-organised shadow government across many worlds, including ones that Infinity and Centrum can never reach, pulling the strings to keep attention away from themselves while they unscrew the inscrutable and attain true Mastery of The UNIVERSE!!!

Useful Cabals for a campaign are somewhere between these extremes.

The things on Yrth that are unusual and interesting to Cabalists definitely include Abydos. The senior wizards of that city know a remarkable amount about undeath, which is going to be interesting to Cabalists seeking a way to live forever, as so many do. They almost certainly know the formula for Elixir of Lichdom (GURPS Magic, p160), for example, and will probably be willing to provide a setup for casting the Lich spell, for a suitable price. Subtler and less obvious ways of (un-)living forever might well be available.

The other thing Cabalists would be interested in would be the Bane ritual that misfired to produce the Banestorm. Since the Dark Elves are looking for either a wonder-weapon or a way off Yrth (Banestorm, p18), Cabalists can use the possibility of such help to extract what information has survived. You see why Abydos is the less troubling thing for Cabalists to be meddling with?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There are quite a few possibilities there, depending on the style of your Cabal. The least effective Cabal is mostly composed of secretive cacklers, some of whom chance on ways of achieving great power, while the rest glory in the wonders of being a wizard and never accomplish much. The most effective Cabal is a well-organised shadow government across many worlds, including ones that Infinity and Centrum can never reach, pulling the strings to keep attention away from themselves while they unscrew the inscrutable and attain true Mastery of The UNIVERSE!!!

Useful Cabals for a campaign are somewhere between these extremes.

The things on Yrth that are unusual and interesting to Cabalists definitely include Abydos. The senior wizards of that city know a remarkable amount about undeath, which is going to be interesting to Cabalists seeking a way to live forever, as so many do. They almost certainly know the formula for Elixir of Lichdom (GURPS Magic, p160), for example, and will probably be willing to provide a setup for casting the Lich spell, for a suitable price. Subtler and less obvious ways of (un-)living forever might well be available.

The other thing Cabalists would be interested in would be the Bane ritual that misfired to produce the Banestorm. Since the Dark Elves are looking for either a wonder-weapon or a way off Yrth (Banestorm, p18), Cabalists can use the possibility of such help to extract what information has survived. You see why Abydos is the less troubling thing for Cabalists to be meddling with?
Hmmm... one issue is that in GURPS, living forever is game-mechanically not that hard, so any Cabalist powerful enough to take on an ISWAT team probably has already attained it. Since the Cabal is sometimes described as including powerful supernatural beings in their ranks, it could be interesting if they were in Abydos as part of a recruitment drive, however.

My big reluctance in using the Dark Elves is I can't quite figure out what's supposed to make the tree at the center of the Blackwoods a threat. It apparently can "twist the shape of living things," but not affect sentient beings. But unless that means a HUGE power boost, it doesn't seem like anything a sufficiently large group of armed, coordinated, and magically supported humanoids shouldn't be able to deal with. But if neither the Dark Elves nor the Megalan expedition sent to deal with it have been able to deal with it so far...

If I go this route, maybe I should just plan on writing up some monsters to fit the ISWAT team's capabilities? Or then there's something about the tree "slowly, overwhelmingly warp reality," how do you game that out?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Michael Thayne

Also: were the Blackwoods explained better in some 3e supplement or something?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
Michael Thayne

Also also: when I said, "challenges along the way," I was partly thinking of "potentially cover-blowing incidents to happen along the way." That would be part of the challenge--yeah the secret is out on Yrth, but that doesn't mean Infinity wants the Ministry of Serendipity to know all about the former.

Tags
banestorm, infinite worlds