Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [IW, Yrth]"You arrive ... where?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post

So I think, on balance, I'd be inclined to dump the "must arrive at same point" requirement. Here's an alternative: for a new world, the first few arrival locations (by automated probes, usually) are random. Once some of them have sensed the local geometry and reported back, arrival can be anywhere the navigator likes.

What does this break, in setting terms?
It breaks the scant defensibly of the existing circumstances. the I-COPS patrol most of the very dangerous entry points (thats why they are set up in canada). With that gone you then can launch at attack on homeline from anywhere on Q6.

In addition, it makes cheap teleportation within worlds effective by just popping in and popping out.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

First define the issue. We want conveyers and jumpers to arrive in air but on solid ground.
How about every jump pre-jumps a force that must be able to push away all but an orienteering plane of solids in order to fully materialize?

I imagined a jumper with a form of luck that allowed him to "dip his toe" into a new world before committing to the jump to avoid insta-kill locations.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It breaks the scant defensibly of the existing circumstances. the I-COPS patrol most of the very dangerous entry points (thats why they are set up in canada). With that gone you then can launch at attack on homeline from anywhere on Q6.
As I understand it, a Centran conveyor is limited to the range Q6..Q10 no matter where it starts, just as a Patrol conveyor is limited to Q3..Q7. I'm not proposing to change that. So I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

If I want to get into Homeline Pentagon, under the current system, I need to get to the Potomac of any Q5 world. That doesn't seem like a terribly rigorous constraint. Is the Patrol really guarding every major site on every Q5 world?

Quote:
In addition, it makes cheap teleportation within worlds effective by just popping in and popping out.
True. Well, not very cheap, given the cost of conveyors, but cheap enough to become an economic player. I don't really see that as a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
First define the issue. We want conveyers and jumpers to arrive in air but on solid ground.
How about every jump pre-jumps a force that must be able to push away all but an orienteering plane of solids in order to fully materialize?

I imagined a jumper with a form of luck that allowed him to "dip his toe" into a new world before committing to the jump to avoid insta-kill locations.
One additional constraint: it's necessary to have a reasonably matching velocity. :-)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
With that gone you then can launch at attack on homeline from anywhere on Q6.
I think you mean Q5.

There are no projectors on Q6 so you can't leave Q6 in a conveyor unless it's the right sort of conveyor and you're getting picked up by a projector on Q5 (Homeline) or Q8 (Centrum).

Roger's right about only needing to get to the equvalent site in a Q5 world. Infini9ty can't gausrd all of them because in inhabited ones the locals are likely to have gotten there first.

Infinity tries to control conveyors (and things like nexus portals and simlar oddities) rather than inifinite amounts of geography.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

It deposits travelers in either Tredroy or southern Caithness of Course!

Why?

.....because I , the GM have maps for those places, thats why.

That will always be the elegant answer - what map does the GM have available or want to use?

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, infinite worlds, parachronics, yrth