Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #41
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: What is Cardiel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I meant as a label.
Oh.

I think it's just that "fantasy written by an author whose mind is fully in the 20th (or 21st) century" is a somewhat broader label than "new weird".
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I think it's just that "fantasy written by an author whose mind is fully in the 20th (or 21st) century" is a somewhat broader label than "new weird".
I'm not sure that "Postmodern" is all that useful as a label in general. On the other hand I think I prefer narrower genre lables than broad ones. Sure Meiville writes "Postmodern fiction" but really so does Stieg Larrson.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm not sure that "Postmodern" is all that useful as a label in general. On the other hand I think I prefer narrower genre lables than broad ones. Sure Meiville writes "Postmodern fiction" but really so does Stieg Larrson.
I prefer narrower labels too. But sometimes it's important to point out that there is (at least) one flaw in LOTR.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #44
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Each of the countries in Yrth represents a particular genre of fantasy. Megalos is high fantasy; Caithness is Arthurian fantasy; Al-Wazif is Arabian Nights; etc.

What is the genre for Cardiel? Its theme seems to be a live-and-let-live mixture of other cultures, but does it correspond to a particular fantasy genre?
Cardiel is medieval United Federation of planets to Megalos' Empire. Much tolerance of other cultures etc.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #45
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Cardiel is medieval United Federation of planets to Megalos' Empire. Much tolerance of other cultures etc.
Or as I think of it, medieval fantasy without most of the "annoying medieval stuff." ;-)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #46
whswhs

Quote:
"Modern fantasy" makes some sense, as a time period and world desginator, but it can also be interpreted differently. For instance one could take off from the statement that LOTR was written by a man born in the 19th century but who lived mentally in the 18th (if not 17th!) century, and then claim that "modern fantasy" is fantasy that differs from Tolkien in that it is written by someone of a modern mindset, e.g. China Mieville.
"Modern" itself is equivocal in meaning. For example, one of my lj friends, eldritch_hobbit, is a literature professor who's about to teach a course on the early history of science fiction. She starts with "its modern beginnings," which turns out to mean Frankenstein. That's more or less in the historical sense, in which "modernity" begins roughly with the Royal Society and the first steam engines (before that you have "early modern," formerly known as Renaissance). There is also the terminology of art, in which "modern art" begins somewhere between impressionism and cubism.

In any case, I don't think "modern fantasy" simply equals "modern" + "fantasy," any more than "steampunk" equals "steam" + "punk" (a lot of steampunk is not "punk" in any meaningful sense). Language is full of idioms: expressions in which word A plus word B add up to entirely new meaning C.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #47
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Or as I think of it, medieval fantasy without most of the "annoying medieval stuff." ;-)
That sounds like what I'd call de-medievalized fantasy. Or D&D-Land.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #48
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In any case, I don't think "modern fantasy" simply equals "modern" + "fantasy," any more than "steampunk" equals "steam" + "punk" (a lot of steampunk is not "punk" in any meaningful sense). Language is full of idioms: expressions in which word A plus word B add up to entirely new meaning C.
The only Steampunk I've actually consumed has been "The Difference Engine", but I've gotten the indirect impression that it is at best one of very few steampunk works that actually contain any cyberpunk atmosphere or thought.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
The only Steampunk I've actually consumed has been "The Difference Engine", but I've gotten the indirect impression that it is at best one of very few steampunk works that actually contain any cyberpunk atmosphere or thought.
Even that wasn't actually all that "punk"; it was "-punk" as the suffix is used in "cyberpunk." And a lot of contemporary steampunk is actually somewhat romantic/cinematic alternate history. With airships.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #50
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
... alternate history. With airships.
According to at least one of Ken Hite's "Suppresed Transmissions," that's redundant...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm