Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default Astrology questions

I'm enjoying Hexogram #2, but was puzzled by a couple of things about the article on Astrologers:

1) It is suggested that the astrologer's guild subjects aspirants to a test to rank them and set dues, but then nothing is said about how that test is abstracted (i.e., as some sort of prerequisite or die roll) nor how it relates to the three astrology related 'jobs' on the next page.

2) There is lots of mention of astrological forecasts, including the possibility that they might be effective in some cases, but nothing is said about how they are done, what they might cost or how you might determine whether or not they contain useful information. Basically, it isn't obvious what, if anything, astrology 'does' for people other than wizards who have undergone the alignment ritual.

Thoughts?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
stefanj

Default Re: Astrology questions

Answering #2 first:

In the context of the article, I don't think horoscopes per se are good for anything but therapy and reassurance, or (with more math and observation, and less psychology) seeing what's in store for wizards linked to the cosmic flux.

When I wrote "...the astrologer's fortune for a notable client proved spot-on", I wasn't suggesting that the stars actually told the client's future. More, a combination of luck (the vague hints and allegory in the horoscope meshed with real events) and the astrologer's ability to read his or her client's mood and relationships.

A pop-psychology horoscope might take half a work day, including an interview (perhaps over a pot of tea and biscuits), consulting books for interesting sounding phrases, and writing a report. Cost would be perhaps $10, $15, and $50 for the three grades. (With 6 - 10 readings a week, this can result in a lot of cash. But an astrologer has a lot of expenses: Tea and other refreshments, books, ink and paper or parchment, impressive robes, and bribes to servants who might provide gossip that can be worked into the fortune.)

The more rigorous "predicting the pattern" requires (as mentioned in the article) observation time plus half a day of computation. More straight forward work, without creative input. Perhaps $30 for a four week forecast. (It would be less, but spending a good part of a night on a roof doesn't come cheap!)

As for #1 . . . sorry, that could have been clearer! The outcome of the tests, and the rewarding of the orrey, depends on the applicant's qualifications for the job. If they have the qualifications for Court Astrologer, they get the neat gold pin and referrals to deep-pocketed clients.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by stefanj; 09-03-2019 at 08:52 AM.
stefanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
hcobb

What IQ level is Astrology?

ITL 36 IQ 8 Talents: "3 IQ points to learn: Artist/Calligrapher, Astrologer, Lawyer;"

ITL 43 IQ 13 Talents: "This ability also takes in astronomy and astrology."
Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
stefanj

I took the IQ 8 talent to be a kind of performance-level skill. Cookbook astrology, like your dilettante aunt might learn, with some stargazing skills worked in.

I imagine that the IQ 13 Mathematician includes that, plus more rigorous observational stuff, because it is simply a good thing to know, job-opportunity-wise.

Last edited by stefanj; 09-03-2019 at 07:45 AM.
stefanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
hcobb

What's the best talent for the (short) career demon summoner?
  • Naturalist
  • Scholar
  • Astrology
Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Skarg

I don't think Mathematician includes everything in the 3-point Astrology talent, it just potentially has some overlap.

Like video games, and computer science.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote