Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Janus Methédor

Default Fesable Seperatist movement from Super Vessel

In my space campaign I have a "Super capital ship" getting revenge for earth and its (now former) empire getting invaded. It does so by going into enemy held space and fighting back. Now my question would be how would a separatist movement be able to leave with enough forces and manpower not to be wiped out? The ship doesn't have a capital shipyard so they couldn't just steal newly commissioned ships. Though the ship does have a city (Think SDF-1 Macross)
Now the members would probably make this easier due to the authority commaned:
members of the Order of Shiva:
Col. James Wolf- Head of Black operations
Ltcmd. Chris Hoffman- Chief of Security
Lt. Dr. Joan Crow- R&D Fighter Technologies
Lt. Dr. John Lamb- R&D Biological Sciences
CPO. Grant Holm- Supply officer
Eng. Jim Loan- Engineer
ex.Major Alex Jones (PC)- Heavy Mecha Pilot
Numerous Pilots, Marines, and civilians.

My current thought was to have them steal transports loaded with fighters and equipment, but that would mean that there supplies wouldn't enable production unless they stole a enemy base and started using their enemies Biological Technologies, that would take luck with limited supplies.
The thought of a limited take over has crossed my mind, however that wouldn't accomplish much. What are your peoples thoughts about a group surviving outside a community and accomplishing the escape? Thanks in Advance. More information is available upon request.

Here's the OoS's (Order of Shiva) reasons for wanting to separate.
They believe that their enemy must be defeated using any means necessary. Under this thought Dr. Lamb has developed a bio-weapon (Pathogen) that has the ability do spread through the enemy ship and dissolve it's organic components, rendering ships destroyed in usually 24-48hrs with one does.
Command does not condone the use of lethal, potentially WMD Bio-weapons.
And Some You Don't
Janus Methédor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Janus Methédor

Default Re: Fesable Seperatist movement from Super Vessel

I guess I'm looking for some thoughts on how to stealthfully get off a city in space. under military control. I'm sure that their are Officers on these forums that could give me the difficulties involved due to procedures and what not.
And Some You Don't
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus Methédor
members of the Order of Shiva:
Head of Black operations
Chief of Security
Supply officer
Eng. Jim Loan- Engineer
Numerous Pilots, Marines, and civilians.
With the above individuals and muscle at their disposal, particularly the first two, are you sure that it wouldn't be easier to take over the home ship than to escape and thrive without its support?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Janus Methédor

Their are 50,000 individuals on board the ship the OoS is only a fraction of the populous. So even 1000-2000 isn't a lot when looking at the whole. Even with the CoS while he might momentarily have control their will be conflict when the Captain starts issuing counter orders. Although this does bring up the idea of a civil war on the ship...
And Some You Don't
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Their are 50,000 individuals on board the ship the OoS is only a fraction of the populous. So even 1000-2000 isn't a lot when looking at the whole. Even with the CoS while he might momentarily have control their will be conflict when the Captain starts issuing counter orders. Although this does bring up the idea of a civil war on the ship...
A Civil War? Counter orders? Why would the Chief of Security and Head of Black Ops collaborate to start a civil war when they are probably the most capable individuals on board to pull off a sudden, decisive coup? When the smoke clears the dead are branded traitors and everybody swallows the story enough to continue to cooperate to produce the food, oxygen, etc or they disintegrate into total mutiny and die. If the alternative is getting off the boat and somehow not starving, which would you rather talk your free-willed followers into?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Janus Methédor

It shows that when having other people to talk to the unthought of things are reveled. So then position spooks and security in strategic places and take over.
I might be taking free willed military too far but wouldn't you think that people would reject order that go against the command structure? Of course come to think of it Clark of Babylon 5 was able to issue "illegal" orders.
And Some You Don't
Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Gedrin

Engineer + Chief of Security = "There was an unfortunate sudden decompression on the command deck. Col. Wolf, as the most senior surviving officer, is now in command."

I can think of so many ways for this group to take over "legitimately" that it's boggling.

However, you could always disable sensors while releasing a tailored plague. You have to kill the cheif doc, but that's doable. Essentially blackmail the ship/fleet into releasing the ships on the promise of the antidote.

Feel free to substitute "overload the reactor", "set off bombs we planted", " sabotaged vital systems" and "jetison all the food and water" for a tailored plague.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Janus Methédor

Thanks, sometimes my mind is... not very useful.
And Some You Don't
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin
I can think of so many ways for this group to take over "legitimately" that it's boggling.
Excellent point.

Quote:
I might be taking free willed military too far but wouldn't you think that people would reject order that go against the command structure? Of course come to think of it Clark of Babylon 5 was able to issue "illegal" orders.
Let's not forget that Clark took his predecessor out in a manner that gave him plausible deniability as Gedrin suggests, and then wrapped himself in the flag while fanning the flames of xenophobia at every turn. I think B5 handled this issue fairly well by depicting good and honorable officers who remained loyal to the chain of command because they thought it was the right thing to do at the time. The same thing happened IRL in Germany around the late 30's, early 40's. In GURPS terms, these are the people who have Code of Honor (Soldier) and insufficient skills/experience to identify the illegal order, or just Fanaticism (The Fatherland), Sense of Duty (Immediate Commander), or Gullibility, none of which is exactly uncommon among the sort who would enlist in a volunteer military, especially one known for cruising around on retributive strikes in alien space, IMHO.