Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #101
mook

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
One thing leapt out at me: you have Kerna roll for her Explosive Fireball on the last turn of building it; by RAW, you're supposed to roll on the first turn you cast it
Am I misreading p. 235?

"Tell the GM what spell you are casting, then take Concentrate maneuvers for the requisite number of turns (see Time Required, p. 236). At the end of the last second of concentration, make a success roll for the spell." (italics in book)

You're right about the area of effect. On the list! Thanks.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #102
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Am I misreading p. 235?

"Tell the GM what spell you are casting, then take Concentrate maneuvers for the requisite number of turns (see Time Required, p. 236). At the end of the last second of concentration, make a success roll for the spell." (italics in book)
That's true of most spells, but Explosive Fireball is a Missile Spell. From page 240:

"To cast a Missile spell, you must concentrate for one second. At the end of your turn, roll against your skill with the spell. There is no modifier for distance – you are creating a magical missile in your hand. On a success, you may invest one or more points of energy in the spell, to a maximum number of energy points equal to your Magery level. The missile then appears in your hand, “charged” to the desired level.
"On your next turn, you have three options with your missile: make a ranged attack with it, hold it, or enlarge it. If you opt to enlarge your missile, you must concentrate for another second. At the end of your turn, you may invest more energy in the spell – anything from one point to points equal to your Magery level. This does not require a skill roll."

Italics in original, bold is mine.

By a strict reading, Missile Spells only take one second to cast, but the Basic set never uses the word to describe enlarging the spell afterwards.
Quote:
You're right about the area of effect. On the list! Thanks.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #103
mook

Nice! Thank you, Diomedes -- makes perfect sense. Updated.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #104
Kalzazz

I still think it would very much help to explain the idea of where starting wealth comes from and how Kerna got her gear, especially since her gear has proved extremely relevant to examples . . . . you mentioned shopping, but didn't mention budget or any particular reason for the particular choices in gear (I do find the idea of scale being such a default starting character choice weird, since it was the default starting level DnD 3.0 heavier starting armor . . . . I had always thought of it as being a kind of odd also ran type of armor and that usually people preferred say mail or plate)

I really liked how you illustrated the use of Fast Draw

And the glacial speed at which characters move!

That said, Kerna is 8 yards from the bandit and has move 3, so she could attack on her third round with a move and attack or a slam (and doesn't she have a shield? Shield slams are friends). Or move 3 round 1, move 3+1 sprint round 2, and then round 3 step and attack (and she has a reach 1 sword) . . . . . you know, I misread, you said 'at least 3 turns to reach him', not 'at least 3 turns just to reach him', ah, oops, I misread, bad me
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:48 PM   #105
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I still think it would very much help to explain the idea of where starting wealth comes from and how Kerna got her gear, especially since her gear has proved extremely relevant to examples . . . . you mentioned shopping, but didn't mention budget or any particular reason for the particular choices in gear (I do find the idea of scale being such a default starting character choice weird, since it was the default starting level DnD 3.0 heavier starting armor . . . . I had always thought of it as being a kind of odd also ran type of armor and that usually people preferred say mail or plate)
I was only thinking DR 4 felt about right for use in the examples, and Scale doesn't have the split DR of Mail's "4/2" (which I may use for the later advanced/UT series).

I did add a line about gear, to "Unlike poor Rex, Kerna is packing some serious armor" I added "(paid for by the kingdom — a starting character without the Wealth advantage wouldn’t be able to afford all the gear she has)," but that was in the first intermediate post, Kerna's character creation, and not the post we were discussing.

Now I'm thinking a few thoughts on gear would probably be a useful post all to itself.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 AM   #106
Kalzazz

Something I can't believe I missed earlier, pretty sure you can't fast draw throwing axes. I'm on a cellphone so can't copy paste relevant link right now, but if you Google 'kromm smallish hurlbats' it will pop right up
Old 10-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #107
philosophyguy

Quote:
Now I'm thinking a few thoughts on gear would probably be a useful post all to itself.
Agreed. I think it would be useful to have a "here's Kerna's starting wealth, here are her equipment goals, here's how she picks equipment to fit her budget and skills, and then how she revises choices in light of encumbrance" post.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #108
Kalzazz

Here we go, relevant link concerning throwing axes

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=28
Old 10-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #109
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Here we go, relevant link concerning throwing axes

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=28
Ah, well. I'd certainly allow it in my home games, but no reason to confuse people.

Updated -- thanks for the link!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #110
mook

I pre-empted the regularly scheduled post on recovery for a brief look at "Equipping Your GURPS Character" instead. It was kind of a last-minute decision... did I forget anything? Or err?

Enjoy!

Tags
blog, blogs