Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [GMing] GURPS Deus Ex: viable?

Greetings, all!

With the appearance of DE3 trailers, talks about Deus Ex have risen from the dead. And of course, with the discussion of a well-crafted futuristic conspiracy (I'm talking primarily about the original, not the 'Deus Lite' of Invisible War), comes the talk about GMing a campaign about. So of course, I'm curious about the opinion of local forumites about it.

The best timeframe is probably right after the events of Deus Ex. Sure, there's an economic crysis, but the IT networks will be up and running again in no time, while a harsh but definitely not dystopian portrayal of an economic collapse might actually be a selling point of a campaign (compare with campaigns with unrealistically pessimistic portrayals of such events). There's no universal ammo (yet), luckily, and biomods are not yet 'magic pills' bought for laughable prices, so the Cash->Points issue isn't too heavy yet.

The roles of the PCs? Well, this could be a classical Action made somewhat more realistic and high-tech, or something closer to Cops or Spec Ops or SWAT (was there such a supplement, or was it a non-official homework? I don't remember). Then of course there's Illuminati/Conspiracies for those who want to GM a campaign with the PCs in the know.

The mods themselves seem to be easy enough to model in GURPS terms, except maybe for the Artificial Heart (might want to model it as a few Perks and some ER for Extra Effort only, but then it looks a bit cheap for such a serious mod). Aggressive Defense will require using Power Parries, though.

Weapons seem rather straightforward too.

Armor and Cloaking Device Suit are weird, but I guess not much will be lost by just using normal UT armor, and making the Cloak just eat through batteries like popcorn (but be rechargable).

Whatdya think?
Thanks in advance!

Tags
adaptation, campaigns, deus ex, gming, setting