Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Arcanestomper

Default Warp as digging tool

In my campaign I have a player who wants to make an area warp that can be used underground to carve out passages in rock and dirt. I don't see anything wrong with the way they have written up the ability as such, but I am uncertain as to how warp interacts with parts of solid objects.

I thought there were rules for that, but I looked and couldn't find anything. So if someone does an area warp on say 4 yards of an 8 yard rock outcropping will it just carve it away.

That's okay for things like dirt, but what if you do the same thing to a building or a vehicle.
Arcanestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Warp as digging tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanestomper View Post
In my campaign I have a player who wants to make an area warp that can be used underground to carve out passages in rock and dirt. I don't see anything wrong with the way they have written up the ability as such, but I am uncertain as to how warp interacts with parts of solid objects.

I thought there were rules for that, but I looked and couldn't find anything. So if someone does an area warp on say 4 yards of an 8 yard rock outcropping will it just carve it away.

That's okay for things like dirt, but what if you do the same thing to a building or a vehicle.
Warping parts of solid masses? That way lies madness.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

My recommendation would be to use the Tunneling advantage with the Hand-Free enhancement from Powers, pg 86 as an Alternate Ability. That's, pretty much, ideal for it.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Or you could link Warp with Tunneling, allowing the character to move small amounts of soil with each use of Warp. Also, Area Warp does not increase carrying capacity, it just allows you to give people within the Area Warp with Affects Others. Now, with the Exoteleport modifier, you can send objects away from you with with Warp, but even with Extra-Heavy Encumbrance and ST 20 though, you will not be able to Warp more than 0.25 cubic meters per turn (around 800 lbs of soil).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

And makes sure it some Limitation clause to keep it from being used on enemies...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
My recommendation would be to use the Tunneling advantage with the Hand-Free enhancement from Powers, pg 86 as an Alternate Ability. That's, pretty much, ideal for it.
My exact thoughts. This is not Warp, it's Tunnelling.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Warping parts of solid masses? That way lies madness.
Yup. “I wait until half of the big bad enemy is in my warp area and warp the whole area one hex to the right.”
Blink from Marvel can slice targets in twain with her teleports, but that would be an alternate ability hugemoungous damage attack with maximum armor divisor (possibly even cosmic, no DR) as the only target who ever resisted it was Hyperion (a Superman analogue).

So Tunneling as AA as others have mentioned, or if teleporting the material to another location is important, make it a 20%-linked ability with Warp.

Last edited by Culture20; 07-15-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote