Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default Visualization, Enhancement: Multiple Skill Rolls

So... I have a few ideas on how to handle this one. The idea being you would get the Visualization bonus for multiple skill rolls during the time your performing whatever scenario you visualized.

Idea #1: Just use Rapid Fire, this sets the number of skill rolls you can improve with your Visualization results. Simple and easy to adjudicate.

Idea 2#: Use Time Spanning and the Speed/Range Chart. The Visualization roll is penalized by the number of skill rolls you expect to make while performing the task.

Idea #3: Again use Time Spanning and split the Visualization bonus across the skills you use while performing the task.

So... that exhausts my ideas (2 and 3 are my personal favorites). Anything better?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Visualization, Enhancement: Multiple Skill Rolls

Nothing? Does anyone have a different way to make something like this work?

The basic idea here is the Character can 'visualize/use the Force/etc' to see the 'perfect path'.

For instance the Gun-Fu Master who can visual the perfect spot to be in/set of motions to take in order to not be hit by any enemies† (Visualization bonus to all Dodge rolls for one turn). † see John Preston in Equilibrium.

The Super‡ who can answer the question (for herself anyway) "How do I make [RESULT] happen?" when said result will require more than skill roll (do X, then Y, then say "Z", then go to address ABD, then wait for exactly 12 minutes, then leave, then ...). ‡ Contessa* from the webseries Worm.

The 'Force' Master who 'let's the Force set his path' and so long as he's 'on the path' gains a bonus to his skill roles.

Last edited by evileeyore; 07-02-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
lvalero

A bonus of ALL rolls of a certain kind as long as you "follow the path" of your "visualization" seems more simmilar to Cosmic Higher Purpose (+300% Reconfigurable Purpose, Requires IQ roll to visualize) or Modular Abilities (only to buy a Higher Purpose)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The rules list a +1 to the "Action", not the maneuver or the skill roll. I'd certainly allow it for a series of rolls that are all part of one "effort".

Note that combat is specifically called out as not being appropriate for visualization. Apparently the flame from wheel of time and a martial artist's bonus for meditating first should be modeled in a different fashion.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
A bonus of ALL rolls of a certain kind as long as you "follow the path" of your "visualization" seems more simmilar to Cosmic Higher Purpose (+300% Reconfigurable Purpose, Requires IQ roll to visualize)...
Interesting, I haven't run into that set-up. Which book is it from?

Quote:
...or Modular Abilities (only to buy a Higher Purpose)
The problem with Higher Purpose is defining the purpose... "Not Being Shot By All These Enemies" really isn't that focused of a Purpose.

And if we're going Modular, may as well just go Modular (Cosmic; Reflexive +40%) at 14 points per level and skip needing to justify it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The rules list a +1 to the "Action", not the maneuver or the skill roll. I'd certainly allow it for a series of rolls that are all part of one "effort".
Interesting. I've always read it (and run it the one time someone took it) as a bonus to one roll with one skill. Hmmm.

Quote:
Note that combat is specifically called out as not being appropriate for visualization. Apparently the flame from wheel of time and a martial artist's bonus for meditating first should be modeled in a different fashion.
Straight from Powers:

"The GM might even permit Reduced Time 7 (+140%) to make this ability instantaneous. If so, it works in combat – but it only affects one die roll per turn, and the chaos of battle cuts the bonus to 1/3 usual."

Which is also where I'm getting the 'one roll' thing from. The one time it's come up in my games was on a precog that used as a "Battle Sense" type ability.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Anthony

My general opinion of visualization is that it shouldn't exist, but if it exists, presumably an appropriate Cosmic enhancement will do the job.