Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Cowrie

Default [DF] Corrosion-resistant armor and acid-proof containers?

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2: Icky Goo mentions "corrosion-resistant armor" in passing when talking about countermeasures for goo on page 19. However, I can't figure out for the life of me what this would be. Resist acid can be an enchantment, but it's for regular items, not armor, and it affects the user of the item rather than the item itself, so that's not really any help. None of the special materials for armor in DF1 or DF8 are listed as resistant to acid, either. Tempered glass, a weapon material, is stated as resistant to acid, but that's left vague, and it isn't suitable for armor anyways. Is there some sort of DF-appropriate corrosion resistant armor I'm missing, and, if not, what would be a decent suggestion for CF on armor that's not reduced by corrosion damage? Or even one that also has extra DR against corrosion on top of that?

On a related note, I'm trying to figure out a way to have a container in DF that's immune to normal corrosive damage (but not essential acid or alkahest!), and protects its contents from such damage completely when sealed. Specifically, this needs to be able to be applied to fabric or leather containers such as a backpack, pouch or sack. This is sort of reminiscent of the Indestructible Garb enchantment in DF Denizens: Swashbucklers, but it seems both narrower and more powerful IMO, so I'm hesitant to use that as a starting point for price. Any suggestions for pricing this, either as an enchantment with a flat cost or a special material with a CF?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: [DF] Corrosion-resistant armor and acid-proof containers?

It's not clear what DF 'acid' actually is, but if we assume it's actually acid, glass and gold will resist most acids (aqua regia will dissolve gold and platinum, but oddly not silver), and even a thin layer would protect as long as it wasn't breached by other damage. For flexible mundane materials there isn't really much, but presumably you could find the organs of an acidic monster.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Well, I would have corrosion resistance be a modifier for DR. I think that it would be worth +10% for each doubling of the corrosion damage required to reduce DR, with +50% giving complete immunity (a minor form of Cosmic).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

This is in the category of "The GM has decided this particular object is unaffected by acids."
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Cowrie

None of that is really helpful for me. I'm the GM in this case and what I really need is advice for how to price in these materials on equipment from a perspective of keeping things as balanced as DF gets. Not the names of actual materials that would work or how to price acid resistance as an advantage. I'm wanting to make these materials available because acidic hazards are going to be a major threat in my game in the form of goos and monsters that swallow people whole, and I want there to be effective armor and a way of protecting loot.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Take a page from DFRPG, expand "Resist Acid" to being an item enchantment that can instead* protect the item (if on armor it protects the wearer as long as they aren't bathing in acid).

Resist Acid, any item, $1,000/lb. Triple cost to resist alkahest.

* So it's enchanted to either protect the wearer (jewelry), or the item (any item - cost above), or can be cast (staff or wand) as the spell.

Honestly, even if you aren't running DFRPG, picking up Magic Items might be useful for you.

Lastly the group might want to invest in some wands or potions of Resist Acid just because.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
Cowrie

Thanks, that looks perfect! And, I will put DFRPG Magic Items on my list, it looks useful.