Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
Rasputin

Default [DF] Turning bodies to loot

If the characters kill and skin a monster, how much is that pelt worth? If it had a horn or horns, for how much do those horns sell? If the characters kill and eat a (hopefully pre-sapient) monster, how many meals can come from that monster? (Yes, this stuff comes up in my campaign.)

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
chandley

Default Re: [DF] Turning bodies to loot

Dead Monster Bits, DF 2, p. 13 gives the rules for how much various bits of monster are worth. This abstracts what the valuable grue is, I would subsume horns into that.

If it is edible at all, about half it's weight can be turned into "edible" stuff (that is a rule of thumb from hunting, adjust as you like). Less the weight of whatever valuable bits. Cooking rolls should be mandatory to keep from getting something icky.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Dead Monster Bits, DF 2, p. 13 gives the rules for how much various bits of monster are worth.
No, this does not. It gives rules for removing said bits and for the character to assess how much they would be worth, but does not say how much they are worth.

My GURPS blog.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
If it is edible at all, about half it's weight can be turned into "edible" stuff (that is a rule of thumb from hunting, adjust as you like). Less the weight of whatever valuable bits. Cooking rolls should be mandatory to keep from getting something icky.
Interesting, though that isn't practical for DF monsters, as few of them have listed weights. (Oddly, the bestiary format for SJGames does have a spot for the weight, but almost no products use that spot.) It also seems high. For example, if my family were to kill me (about 150 lbs., let's say 152), half of me (76 lbs.) is edible. Since a meal's rations is 2 lbs., that means I'm worth 38 meals. Somehow, I think that's high, especially seeing as how I'm delicious. The few times my players have done this, I've used the monster's ST score to read meals, but I kept thinking it was high.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 06-19-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added ST score stuff
Old 06-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
(E)

40-50% of an animal’s weight is standard for a carcass. Source
The head is about 10% depending on species, skeleton about 15%, Skin 10-20%

Edit approximate weight of the finished leather is 20% of the weight of the skin, very approximate.

The horns of many species arn't particularly useful either they deteriorate too quickly to be useful.

Last edited by (E); 06-19-2017 at 10:54 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:29 AM   #6
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
40-50% of an animal’s weight is standard for a carcass.
Read the thread. DF creatures do not have listed weights, so this is meaningless.
Quote:
The horns of many species arn't particularly useful either they deteriorate too quickly to be useful.
You're missing the issue. I don't care about fiddly nonsense like 1,001 uses for antlers. This is DF. What I want to know is if my players kill a monster and decide they want to skin it and gut its body parts, approximately how much money can they get from selling those skins and parts? Obviously, there will be special things like unicorn horns and that gem on a carbuncle; those are exceptions. But if my players kill a slorn, a creature with no weight listed and no special prices listed, and gut it for body parts, how much do those parts weigh and how much do they fetch at the market?

My GURPS blog.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #7
Anders

Have you looked at DF8: Treasure Tables? Common furs are worth $200 per 75 lbs., while exotic furs are worth $500, 75 lbs., etc. (p. 12). The fur of a bear weighs 50 lbs. It has DR 2, which would probably be relevant for the weight - say that the fur weighs 1/5 to 1/20 of body weight (this is off the top of my head, I have no experience with hunting). I couldn't find any information on horns and antlers, etc. though. They can be used as decoration, I suppose. Still, DF8 would be where I would look.

If there is no listed weight I would say... 1dx$100? Lots of cutting damage would reduce that, obviously but that might be going into too much detail for a DF game. It depends on how much loot you want them to get.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
(E)

OK, throwing around some numbers
Looking at the ST:weight ratio from basic set's beasties the progression loosely follows Weight = ((ST X ST)/10) X (ST + 1)

Weight X 0.05 = Usable Bone
Weight X 0.15 = Usable Skin
Weight X 0.20 = Usable Meat

Skin (green) is worth maybe zero point D6 dollars a pound. So up to $90 for a ST20 skin (ish) (minus damage)
Meat and bone ?
Horns etc, The first few would have a novelty value realistically, DF value? Damage X $10 maybe?

Alchemists and Organs, it looks like the best way would be to use the creatures special abilities as inspiration. A basic venomous bite has to be worth D6 X $10.

Edit, the slorn, (presuming the players gently killed it with padded clubs to preserve it's hide) would produce a skin that would be worth at most $150 and would weigh about 250lbs.

Last edited by (E); 06-20-2017 at 07:11 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Alchemists and Organs, it looks like the best way would be to use the creatures special abilities as inspiration. A basic venomous bite has to be worth D6 X $10.
Yeah, you could make a formula like the one on p. B425 (for ultra-tech drugs), which takes into account damage, duration, potency, etc. but I think that would be more trouble than its worth.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Read the thread. DF creatures do not have listed weights, so this is meaningless.
Then pick a real world creature that is a similar size, use wikipedia, and figure it out.

What would you do if they decided to carry that slorn out of the dungeon?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body parts, gurps, loot the body, rations, selling