Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
tbug

Default Choir Names

Are there Hebrew names for the two new choirs mentioned in Heaven & Hell (the Shepherds and the Ministering Angels)? They look odd on lists of choirs.
tbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Choir Names

There aren't Hebrew names for them, that I know of. If you can find a good online translator, you could type them in, though... If I have time, I will try to remember to go through the Gustav Davidson Dictionary of Angels and see if there are any plausible Choir names unused...
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
William

In Zadkiel's forthcoming extended Superior writeup, the Ministering Angels are called the Malache Hashereth and are detailed a bit. This will be available from e23.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
tbug

It must be mine! Here's hoping that the editorial backlog gets cleared up soon. :)

Thanks for letting me know.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

(I'm glad he remembered. I had vaguely recalled they were there, but not that we'd gotten a proper name sorted for them.)
Old 06-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
tbug

As far as I can tell, Biblical Hebrew for "shepherd" is ro'eh. I don't know how to pluralize that.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
tbug

Another reason why it would be convenient to use Hebrew for this choir is the proliferation of the word "shepherd" as a name for groups of celestials.

1. It's a minor choir of angels.
2. It's a sub-group of Servitors of Valefor.
3. It's one of the names of Servitors of Yves (the guy responsible for giving things their own names).

Is the word used to denote any other group of celestials? Having Valefor snaffle the name makes sense at this point, but I'm thinking Kobol might want to use it, just because.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
ISNorden

The plural of Ro'eh is Ro'im, just so you know...

That said, I was a little disappointed that the Ministering Angels and the Shepherds didn't even get resonance descriptions in Zadkiel's book. I've run a few adventures with side treks into Heaven--one of which involved freeing a righteous soul from the Marches. Being able to use some kind of resonance check when the story called for it, would be helpful.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post

That said, I was a little disappointed that the Ministering Angels and the Shepherds didn't even get resonance descriptions in Zadkiel's book. I've run a few adventures with side treks into Heaven--one of which involved freeing a righteous soul from the Marches. Being able to use some kind of resonance check when the story called for it, would be helpful.
I can see that. On the other hand, since they spend all their time in Heaven where Infernal Interventions are impossible, I'm not sure a resonance roll matters as much. You have all eternity to keep trying until you succeed. ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
tbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
In Zadkiel's forthcoming extended Superior writeup, the Ministering Angels are called the Malache Hashereth and are detailed a bit. This will be available from e23.
Is this name considered canon, even though it didn't make it into the write-up?

Tags
meta