Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
moodebony

Default Ultimate Cleric FAQ

I just played Munchkin for the first time. It's a great game, but the cards (and general rules) simply do not (and cannot) cover everything that you need to know to play the game as it was intended. I found the Cleric class' "Resurrection" ability to be one of the most hotly debated and generally unclear topics. We definitely did not use it correctly on our first play. There is absolutely no way of divining all of the necessary information from the literature contained in the official game box. I have scoured numerous threads on the subject and I wanted to compile a final list of the basic mechanics here as clearly and concisely as possible. As you can see, the list is quite extensive for just a single ability. It took me a few hours to compile and compose this list. I invite our gaming lord and super moderators to please correct any errors in this post. I also invite anyone else to suggest anything that should go on this list, point our typos, inconsistencies, or picky grammatical errors. I would love to see a similar compilation for each class and maybe even see them stickied!

Cleric

Resurrection:
  1. A Cleric may only use the resurrection ability when he/she has the option to draw one (or more) cards FACE UP from one of the game decks.
    *Example: During the "kick open the door" phase, you may resurrect the top card from the door discard pile instead of drawing from the door deck

2. There are 2 "normal" cases where a player would draw cards FACE UP (and thus be allowed to use the resurrection ability):
    1. During the "kick down the door" phase.
    2. If a player helped you to defeat a monster, during the "treasure" phase (when a player helps you defeat a monster, treasure cards are drawn FACE UP for all players to see instead of the normal face down). This is currently the only "normal" situation where a Cleric has the option to resurrect multiple cards.
    *Exception: If a card or separate expansion/booster has specific instructions to draw a card FACE UP.

3. A Cleric may NOT use the resurrection ability instead of drawing a card FACE DOWN.
    *Example: During the "loot the room" phase or "treasure" phase (after defeating a monster without help)

4. A Cleric may not resurrect cards during the "treasure" phase when helping out a fellow munchkin. (Technically the player whom the Cleric helped is drawing the cards, not the Cleric. This is true even if the treasure cards were promised to the Cleric)

5. A Cleric may only resurrect a card from the discard pile associated with that the deck from which he is drawing.
    *Example: During the "kick open the door" phase, a Cleric may not resurrect a card from the treasure discard pile. Likewise, during the "treasure" phase, a Cleric may not resurrect a card from the door discard pile. Etc.

6. A Cleric may only resurrect the card on TOP of the discard pile (or top X cards if resurrecting multiple cards at once). The Cleric does not get to rifle through the deck and choose which card(s) he/she will resurrect.
    *Example: The top card on the treasure discard pile is "Horny Helmet". Underneath that card is the "Kneepads of Allure" card. The Cleric must choose (and be eligible) to resurrect two cards if he/she wishes to resurrect the "Kneepads of Allure".

7. A Cleric (or any player for that matter) may only see the top card of any discard pile. No player is allowed to look through the discard piles at any time. (You may use only your memory)
    *Exception: Some cards (such as "Wand of Dowsing" give you special permission to look through the discard piles)

8. A Cleric must have at least 1 card in his hand (prior to resurrection) for every card that he resurrects.
    *Example: A Cleric is aided by his fellow munchkin and they defeat a monster that yields 3 treasure cards (which will be drawn FACE UP). If the Cleric wants to resurrect 3 treasure cards instead of drawing 3 cards from the treasure deck, he/she must have 3 cards already in hand. If that Cleric has only 2 cards in his/her hand, he/she may only resurrect, at most, 2 cards.

9. A Cleric may only resurrect, at most, 1 card for every FACE UP card that he/she would have otherwise been able to draw.
    *Example: During the "kick open the door" phase, the player would normally draw 1 card from the door deck FACE UP. He/She may instead resurrect, at most, 1 card.
    *Example: A Cleric is aided by his fellow munchkin and they defeat a monster that yields 3 treasure cards (which will be drawn FACE UP). The Cleric may choose to resurrect up to 3 cards and no more.
    *Note: When using the official Epic Munchkin rules, a Cleric with "epic" status must draw two door cards during the "kick open the door" phase instead of just one (making them eligible to resurrect up to two cards instead of just one)

10. A Cleric may only discard/sacrifice cards that were in his/her hand previous to the resurrection.
    *Example: Suppose that a Cleric resurrects 2 cards. He/She resurrects card A (on top), in order to resurrect card B (under card A). He/She must then discard 2 cards that were in his/her hand before he/she resurrected the two cards. Therefore he/she must keep or use card A immediately. Card A may not be selected as one of the cards that is discarded/sacrificed for the resurrection.

11. When given the option to draw cards face up, the Cleric must choose how many cards to resurrect (and by association how many cards to sacrifice/discard) before any cards are actually drawn or resurrected.
    *Example: The Cleric defeats a monster with aid from a fellow munchkin. That monster yields 3 treasures (which must be drawn FACE UP because the Cleric had help). The Cleric must first decide whether he/she wants to resurrect 1, 2, or 3 cards. He/She cannot resurrect the top card of the discard pile, take a look at the next card, then decide whether or not they want to resurrect the next card or draw from the deck. If the Cleric chooses to resurrect 1 card, he/she must then draw the remaining 2 cards from the treasure deck.
    *Example: Likewise, in the above example, a Cleric may not draw 1 card from the treasure deck, then decided to resurrect a card from the discard pile.

12. If a Cleric resurrects a curse card, that curse is immediately applied to the Cleric who resurrected the card with NO EXCEPTIONS. (NOTE: see exceptions)
    *Exception: The instructions on the curse card explicitly target other players
    *Exception: A special card explicitly tells you to place a drawn, FACE UP door card directly into your hand (i.e. "Stacked Deck").

13. During the "kick open the door" phase, if the Cleric chooses to resurrect a non-monster card instead of drawing from the door deck, he/she will still proceed to the "look for trouble" or "loot the room" phase. (This allows him/her to draw another FACE DOWN card or play a monster from his/her hand.)

14. During the "kick open the door" phase, if the Cleric chooses to resurrect a monster, he/she must face that monster immediately the same as if he/she had drawn that monster from the door deck. (He/She may not proceed to the "look for trouble" or "loot the room" phase)

I printed all of the official (updated) PDF rules and official FAQ sections relevant to my current card library and placed them in a binder before our first game. I was pretty surprised that *most* of this information was not found anywhere in that literature. I would love to see this information added to the official FAQ. You have my permission to plagiarize as deliberately as you like.

On a side note, I would love to see a printable version of the FAQ (formatted and optimized for letter-sized viewing, similar to the downloadable PDFs). I'd be happy to help out.

Last edited by moodebony; 03-30-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: corrections
moodebony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleric, faq, munchkin, resurrection