Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #21
lachimba

Default Re: The Film Reroll: an RPG/Film Podcast - using GURPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Hey Lachimba - I totally hear you on the rules. I'm one of the most GURPS-familiar of the people on the podcast, and sometimes it frustrates me too. The choice we made to go as rules-flexible as we did stems from a couple of pressures. First, not all the players know the rules really well. Second, at the table recording it really helps momentum to just keep going, even if we're not sure about the exact rule - pausing to look things up drags, and makes editing that much harder. Third, it's a podcast, and while it is a gaming podcast, it's also a comedy and movies podcast, so we have to be aware of the audience. That means cutting out a lot of mechanical details - for instance, there was an HT roll for that pulled back, but it got cut because it didn't help the show move forward.

And of course, that first episode we were still figuring things out :).

I'm really sorry if it hurts your enjoyment of the show - as we keep going I'm sure we'll get better and better about the RAW. Don't give up on us!
Well, I wouldn't recommend catering towards my enjoyment, I'm only one listener.

I much preferred the Labyrinth episode. Id say that's a very good example of how to run a short one one one game for a rules light newish player. If the baddies are mooks (which they should be) the combat makes sense too.

The Frozen episode totally triggered me again with the diplomacy rolls (versus a reaction roll) and the first acrobatics rolls for running down a possibly crowded corridor.

Id call you out on the rules flexible too. One thing to do is 'Throw this book away' in regards to social interactions. That saves on a lot of the rolls that I actually hear you make and many players (and the audience) won't get that the PCs are more or less articulate than the players/GM.
And I mentioned the Penny Arcade Podcasts. They ARE funny and entertaining and they seem to mostly use a continuous rule set. I also listened to Ken Hite run rules inexperienced players through a Dracula Dossier adventure and its totally possible to keep things entertaining and rules consistent.

Things I actually would recommend.

Contact Doug Cole @ Gaming Ballistic and get added to GURPS Day, that WILL actually boost your listeners among the GURPS audience.

An easy concession to people like me is to just share some text of the rules, rolls and stats you're using. You can leave it out of the podcast, but a paragraph or two of text is enough to understand what's missing, and its easily ignored by those not interested in the rules set.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
Genesis

Hey folks - brand new episode up! Speed, appropriately enough our quickest episode yet...

Let me know what you think!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:42 AM   #23
Disliker of the mary sue

You know I think I actually learned how to play an tabletop rpg altogether. I was always confused on certain things like when I should be in charecter and when I should be out. It help me actually play the first game of dnd where **** doesn't go horribly wrong and I gain a lifetime grudge against some *******.

But yeah that total Klutz disavantage in the frozen session....I never knew such a debiltity disadvantage exist and it's only -15 points. I don't considering crtical failure in my mind means your dead or at least too injured to ever adventure again it seems like that should give more points..
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
considering crtical failure in my mind means your dead or at least too injured to ever adventure again ...
Since critical failures happen something like 1 per 50 rolls, they need to be a bit more survivable than that. Some critical failures will have that kind of effect, sure. But not all of them.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #25
jozvam

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Since critical failures happen something like 1 per 50 rolls, they need to be a bit more survivable than that. Some critical failures will have that kind of effect, sure. But not all of them.
Unless you take the disadvantage- "Pitr's rolling your dice" which makes it twice as likely and is +4 to every roll you make...
jozvam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #26
gmillerd

Thanks pretty cool so far
Old 05-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #27
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post

Yeah but dx based rolls tend to be dangerous in particular to fail. I mean Anna would have been screwed if she didn't have luck.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #28
gekkonidae

Do you guys have a new episode coming out soon? It's been a while since Jaws.

By the way I'd didn't tell you Jaws was incredible.
gekkonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #29
Disliker of the mary sue

The latest episode was fun, I almost thought for a moment we could have a happier less deathy ending but eh players will do what players do.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #30
Anders

So when will you do the Lord of the Rings trilogy? :o)

Tags
podcast, session recording